Satanic Panic of the late 80's

MGibster

Legend
We didn't get cable in our house until, at the earliest, 1985 or so (and that was because we moved into an area where it was available, if we hadn't moved, it would have taken longer). I still tend to think of the early 80s as pre-cable for that reason (I think I knew one person who had cable in 1982)
We didn't get cable until 1986 and and the first video I ever saw on MTV was Bananarama's Venus. Memory is a funny thing and I tend to think of 1982 as pre-cable as well. I'm pretty sure I saw Mazes and Monsters sometime in the early 1990s but I can't remember which cable network was showing it. I'm pretty sure the only reason it's still shown is because Tom Hanks was in it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
it caused me a lot of grief during the time. But I would also say that movement was damaging to some faith communities. I grew up believing that many of my guitar heroes and proponents of D&D were theistic Satanists with bad intentions. How confusing for a kid! Unfortunate.

And many years later I read about Gygax and his background and have kept up with a lot of the musicians in question and it’s ironic to see how far off the insanity really was.
Yeah, that frequently is the case with these things. There are certain mindsets that are really resistant to diversity of approaches to life, entertainment, faith, and so on. Fortunately, it more often leads to hysteria these days and media frenzies rather than crusades against heretics and mass executions.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Yeah, that frequently is the case with these things. There are certain mindsets that are really resistant to diversity of approaches to life, entertainment, faith, and so on. Fortunately, it more often leads to hysteria these days and media frenzies rather than crusades against heretics and mass executions.
Yes. Then like now it takes the form of goofy statements and getting the vapors.

some parts of the world sadly take the next step too.

All I can do is my part to spread the fun of the hobby...heavy metal and beer...

if that is my only legacy I am good with it

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Those crazy 80s!

I mean, just think. An entire completely bogus conspiracy theory that had, at its core, the idea that there was a large group of people that were Satanist and were abusing children. There were actually a lot of people that really, truly believed that there were organized and powerful groups of people in music, in the media, and even in the schools and in politics that were engaged in Satanic blood sacrifice and child abuse.

And there were lives that were ruined over it. It started with the crazy theories, and the book burnings. But people went to actual real prison over the hysteria!

Thank goodness we are so much more enlightened now, and wouldn't let crazy conspiracy theories about blood sacrifices and child abuse take hold.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I used to collect Chick Tracts back in the day, when I'd see them lying out or getting handed them. I am sad to say that I never came across a Dark Dungeons in the wild.
I don't know if they're still available (Doubtful), but I literally just went on his site and bought a couple of sets. I gave a bunch out at one Gen Con. I still have a set in my drawer.

aramis erak

Legend
Just out of curiosity...

what is the date this went wild?

I took flak in the mid 80s and 2nd edition was what year?
JD Egbert III went missing in 1979. It was blamed on D&D, until he was found. It was actually that he tried, failed, and had to come to grips with having failed to commit suicide in the steam tunnels. He hid for a month in friends homes.
1981 Moldvay Basic
1982 Cook Expert
Pulling's son (who did play D&D, but had many worse issues besides that) committed suicide in 1982.
Pulling started BADD in 1983, blaming D&D for her son's suicide.
1983 new edition of Basic and Expert
1984 Companion set for the 1983 B & E sets.
Unearthed Arcana for AD&D 1E was 1985.
1985 BEC Master set
1986 BECM Immortals set (Gold)
AD&D 2E was 1989.

1990, Mike Stackpole refutes Pulling's work, and the Canadian and US governments both release statements that D&D is not shown to be harmful to mental health.

1991 Big Black Box Basic Set, D&D Cyclopedia (containing the rules from BECM of BECMI)

Alas, it appears that Dark Dungeons is a custom order, which means it's only available in orders of 10,000 or more. Perhaps a GoFundMe is in order... :)

I don't know if they're still available (Doubtful), but I literally just went on his site and bought a couple of sets. I gave a bunch out at one Gen Con. I still have a set in my drawer.

Nytmare

David Jose
Bizarre coincidence: going though boxes of my mom's old files and just found a stack of paperclipped photocopies, mimeographs, and newspaper clippings from 79/80 along with a note from some PTA friend warning about satanic cults.

erc1971

Explorer
I remember my mom telling me about Mazes And Monsters. She heard it was a TV show D&D, she had no clue it was propaganda against D&D, and just thought it would be something I would find cool to watch.

Goliath Coins

Owner of Goliath Coins
Publisher
During that time, I applied for a government job where I had to undergo an extensive background check. It came up that most of my friends were from being DnD. Luckily the background investigator was really curious about DnD and open minded. It could have gone a lot different with a different investigator.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases