D&D 5E Savage Tide Adventure Path

aco175

Legend
I found the first half a good adventure, but most of the island was not my groups fun. The dinosaurs and islanders were ok, but once they went underground it fell apart a bit.

If I was going to do this again I would most likely place it in FR with changing the city to use a better map, maybe Waterdeep or even Neverwinter. I may even change the jungle theme to a winter one with a lost island with cyclops and dragons, maybe frost dinosaurs. Maybe skeletal dinosaurs controlled by a necromancer who the local viking tribes fear. A lot of the last part I would homebrew and the adventure would likely end around level 12-15.

Remathilis

Legend
Hi Remathilis, so which specific adventures did you skip and why? Looks like you skipped or truncated "The Sea Wyvern's Wake", "The Lightless Depths" and "City of Broken Idols"?

I basically split Sea Wyvern's Wake up into chunks after the group got the Sea Wyvern, I let the sail around with it a bit and be pirates. I did the Sargossa as a "random encounter", ran the full Tamoachan rather than visit the outskirts, and then later did the voyage to Farshore with some of crew-based elements (the false priest, the Rowan's revenge) before ending with the storm. So, I did a lot of it, just out of order.

As for Lightless Depths and City of Broken Idols, it was twofold. In 3.5, the time spent on the Isle of Dread is from levels 7-15 which is a significant chunk of game. Further, it felt anti-climactic after defeating Vanthus. Finally, I wanted to do some other quests as well (esp after getting Ghosts) so it was easy to eject the further island/dungeon elements for some different locals.

Going forward, Scuttlecove and Into the Maw are both on the agenda, but I don't know if I plan to run the remainder as-written. Due to the fact I'm running it as part of Eberron (with the backstory Demogorgon is aware of the crack in the Siberys ring and trying to exert influence there) allows me to mix in some additional Eberron elements as well.

Overall, I've used it more as skeleton to hang my nautical adventures on and augmented and changed it as I saw fit. The players are enjoying it and can't wait to get back once we're all allowed out of our homes again.

aco175

Legend
What is wrong with the island?
It just was not my table's fun. The ancient race of half-whatever they were and the drag of extending it several levels made if less fun. This tied to the jungle theme takes my group away from their comfort zone. Parts of the island were ok. The initial shipwreck is a straight railroad, but takes the PCs on a trail across the island through some cool sites, but is more railroad. Dealing with the local tribe and some of the smaller quests around the town is ok, but once you head to the mountain and under it, it looses me.

Vael

Legend
I've yet to run Savage Tide, but it's always been a favourite of mine and one I've been wanting to run; I've toyed with 4e and 5e adaptations.

But I do kinda agree that while the shipwreck on the Isle of Dread is a pretty good adventure (though I do want to write a "what happens if we do try and rebuild our ship here" alternative), the subsequent adventures on the Isle are a little sloggish. TBH, again, only from reading it, the adventure path peaks at "Tides of Dread" (the build-up and fight for Farshore).

Zardnaar

Legend
Never played the AP but have mined the crap out of the individual early parts.

I've used the Sasserine parts in ,3.5 and run the Isle if Dread parts and the boat voyage to the isle in 5E.

solomanii

Explorer
I also think, with all the 5e support now - like the converted Isle of Dread, Saltmarsh and Yawning Portal stuff that it maybe "easier" to convert this now than it was back in 2014.

Zardnaar

Legend
Thoughts on truncating this adventure and just basing out of Sasserine?

Go to the isle, maybe help Farshore but change the plot?

Shift the focus to Farshore or Sasserine?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases