Level Up (A5E) Savant as Psychic?

Faolyn

(she/her)
While reading @This Effin’ GM's post ("Savant or Rogue?"), I suddenly wondered: the Savant is supposed to be a non-magical class, but would it support a low-powered occultist-type psychic archetype?

When I say "low-powered," I mean things like seances, object reading, aura reading, clairvoyance, and stuff like that. Not a high-powered psychic blaster-type. Useful, perhaps, in a lower-magic setting, such as Ravenloft, or perhaps even Zeitgeist itself.

I literally came up with the idea a few minutes ago, so I'm not 100% on how to implement this idea. Assigning a small spell list is possible, but also perhaps just a list of abilities that can be chosen at 1st, 2nd, 6th, 11th, 14th, and 17th levels, along with some other abilities as well: proficiency in Insight and Arcana, or extra skill specialties in them; bonuses when communicating with spectral undead or nature spirits, the ability to set up ritual-traps in order to banish otherworldly entities, and things like that.

Any thoughts?

I considered a seance-y sub-class, akin to Eldritch Knights and Arcane Tricksters, but I didn't want to dilute the conceit of 'my mind is all I need,' at least not for the first release. I mean, the Vox is a little close, since you can literally talk someone to death.

I say go for it and pitch it to the Gate Pass Gazette.

While reading @This Effin’ GM's post ("Savant or Rogue?"), I suddenly wondered: the Savant is supposed to be a non-magical class, but would it support a low-powered occultist-type psychic archetype?

When I say "low-powered," I mean things like seances, object reading, aura reading, clairvoyance, and stuff like that. Not a high-powered psychic blaster-type. Useful, perhaps, in a lower-magic setting, such as Ravenloft, or perhaps even Zeitgeist itself.

I literally came up with the idea a few minutes ago, so I'm not 100% on how to implement this idea. Assigning a small spell list is possible, but also perhaps just a list of abilities that can be chosen at 1st, 2nd, 6th, 11th, 14th, and 17th levels, along with some other abilities as well: proficiency in Insight and Arcana, or extra skill specialties in them; bonuses when communicating with spectral undead or nature spirits, the ability to set up ritual-traps in order to banish otherworldly entities, and things like that.

Any thoughts?
I bet it could. If nothing else, flavoring their abilities can easily work.

Remove ads