Save that ends the effect

hawkwing2k5

First Post
At the end of most abilities that have an additional effect such as on going damage. The current rule is roll a d20, a 10 or better ends the effect at the end of the round. What would be the impact of making this number higher for both the player and the NPCs. Im thinking of making it better than 15 which changes it from a 45% failure to 75% failure. The reason for this is my group has the ability to pull natural 20s out of nowhere when ever they need them. They can do this on anyones dice and its in front of me as well.

Darkwolf71

First Post
The 'coin toss' 10 or better system bugs me too, but I think going to 15+ is over the top. If I was going to change it, (which I will be bringing up next time we resume my 4e campaign) I think I would only go to 12+ saves. It pushes it out of the 50/50 range, but not so much that players can be totally screwed by it.

Tale

First Post
The 'coin toss' 10 or better system bugs me too, but I think going to 15+ is over the top. If I was going to change it, (which I will be bringing up next time we resume my 4e campaign) I think I would only go to 12+ saves. It pushes it out of the 50/50 range, but not so much that players can be totally screwed by it.
10-20 isn't 50%, it's 55%. It's 11 numbers out of 20.

hawkwing2k5

First Post
The reason for my desire to change it is due to the group being able to roll natural 20s when ever they need it. For example in a L5R game with exploding d10s (every 10 rolled is re rolled and added together) this group has players who can hit 125 or better on 2 dice. One player hit 85 with one die. That why the increase is desired to make it more fair or balanced. I know these guys and I cant let them have a 55% chance its TOO EASY. AS it is I DM FIAT way too much just to make combat more than a round or two

Ourph

First Post
If they can roll natural 20s at will how is increasing the target number to 15 going to help? A natural 20 is just as much of a success with a target number of 15 as it is with a target number of 10.

James McMurray

First Post
How much of the "rolls natural 20s at will" is perceived vs. how much is real? Before making house rules to account for statistical anomolies, you might want to see if it's actually a problem or just a case of not noticing 3s but everybody wooping when a 20 comes up. During the next session, watch every die roll and put a tick mark on scratch paper for every roll above 15 and under 5. It might just be a perception issue caused by clustering, not actual probability issues.

And I'll second (third?) the question: what will it matter that the DC is 15 if they always roll 20s?

hawkwing2k5

First Post
I understand that if they roll d20s all the time, but the increase gives better odds that they may fail. Trust me this is not a fluke I did the test to confirm that they roll high. On average over a campaign they out rolled me and the average DC by 5 to 10 points after takeing out the modifiers. I even accounted for accidental cheating, miss totaling the modifiers and other variables. Face it this group pulls horse shoes out of their bumm any time they need to save their butts. So if I squeek the odds in my favor it gives me a better chance to make em pay for their victories or at least make them feel worthy of the victory

Remove ads