• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Save vs continuous damage/gluepot

humble minion said:
I wonder how this will work at higher levels. Surely as PCs go up in level they will be able to accumulate feats and spell effects and items and abilities that give them save bonuses. If success is a flat 10+ regardless of the effect's source, it would seem likely that at higher levels PCs failing their saves will be a distinct rarity, and ongoing effects will normally only last until the first save.

Of course, some monsters/spells may have the ability to penalize saves I guess. We shall see.

EDIT: Or your assumption is wrong and PCs wont be able to accumulate feats and items to improve saving throws. A in encounter power that grants a +X to the next saving throw, or a power that lets a character make an immediate saving throw is another thing.

Given that saving throws are an integral part of the game, I doubt there will be much, if anything, that will improve your chance at succeeding at a saving throw. The only way I think magic items will effect saving throws is in their ability to boost your defenses making having to make a saving throw less likely.

Last edited:

DM_Flick

First Post
The Orc Bloodrager and the Orc Chieftan both get a +2 on their saves. I am guessing that PC's will get bonuses at higher levels if not through feats/powers then with magic items. Just a guess mind you ...

Mort_Q

First Post
I doubt we'll see any permanent bonus to savings that's higher than the Dwarfs +5 to saving throws vs poison, and I doubt that bonuses will stack.

The save ends mechanic works fine as there are no single save or die rolls.

TacoSupreme

First Post
DM_Flick said:
The Orc Bloodrager and the Orc Chieftan both get a +2 on their saves. I am guessing that PC's will get bonuses at higher levels if not through feats/powers then with magic items. Just a guess mind you ...
I believe that is because those orcs are elites. Elites and Solos get a save bonus.

Dormain1

Explorer
I love how saves are 10 +

mainly because we managed to kill a sleeping dragon who couldn't roll higher than 6
hahahahhaha

and those cleric and warlord abilities which grant a new saving throw are now really good (alot better than the old resistance, whoo +1 on next save)

I do think that save bonus wont stack ,or i hope there are rules to change the dice rolled to d8's (ha now try and role above 10)

Stalker0

Legend
ForbidenMaster said:
EDIT: Or your assumption is wrong and PCs wont be able to accumulate feats and items to improve saving throws. A in encounter power that grants a +X to the next saving throw, or a power that lets a character make an immediate saving throw is another thing.
/QUOTE]

There's a human feat that gives +1 to saving throws and that's probably as much as your going to see. Bonus to saving throws is a big deal in 4e, as many effects have save end conditions.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
jackston2 said:
Saves are 10+? That doesn't make sense... shouldn't it be 11+ for an even 50/50 split?
No, the idea is to have the save succeed more often than it fails. Partially because a lot of the saves rather suck for players and its best if they go away in 2 rounds almost all the time.

MindWanderer

First Post
Dormain1 said:
I love how saves are 10 +

mainly because we managed to kill a sleeping dragon who couldn't roll higher than 6
hahahahhaha
Then it should have saved--the dragons we've seen so far have +5 to their saves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads