Saves and Ready Actions

clark411

First Post
Does this work?

A character is immobilized. He readies an action to move when he is no longer immobilized. His turn ends, he saves and loses immobilized, then moves.

A character is weakened. He readies an action to attack an adjacent target when he is no longer weakened. His turn ends, he saves and loses weakened, then makes an attack against the enemy.

It just seems wrong to me. Is it a legal action?

Ginnel

Explorer
It points this out in the PHB you don't make your save when delaying/readying your action until you've used the readied action/delayed action, but you do take the damage straight away or any other effects straight away which persist until you take that turns action, so not until the end of your turn as normal.

Its reasonably complicated but i'm quite sure its all written out.

Does this work?

A character is immobilized. He readies an action to move when he is no longer immobilized. His turn ends, he saves and loses immobilized, then moves.

A character is weakened. He readies an action to attack an adjacent target when he is no longer weakened. His turn ends, he saves and loses weakened, then makes an attack against the enemy.

It just seems wrong to me. Is it a legal action?
It's not legal. PHB 291 a readied action occurs as an immediate reaction. PHB 268 you can't take an immediate action on your own turn. If you save at the end of your turn, you can't take the immediate action to react to that. Now if you want to ready an action to move (etc.) after you save and the cleric gives you an extra save... that's fine. But not with your own saves.

JGulick

First Post
If you know that an ally is next in initiative order you could delay until end of that allies turn.

Which would not matter.

All beneficial effects and sustained effects end when you announce the Ready.

Any saves come after your action actually happens.

This is all spelled out in full detail on p.288 of the PHB in the definition of Delay, and is clearly stated as the general rule on p.269 where it defines that "The End of Your Turn" happens "after you act".

Thus, this Ready trigger is a problem, because it can never be triggered (unless someone gives you a bonus save). Your natural End Of Turn save won't happen until after your Readied action.

Tale

First Post
I guess I need to reread that section. I thought there were two kinds of moves, the delay and the readied action. Delay would change your initiative order and result in a later save. Readied action would not.

Khime

Explorer
I guess I need to reread that section. I thought there were two kinds of moves, the delay and the readied action. Delay would change your initiative order and result in a later save. Readied action would not.
This is true. However, you cannot ready an action to trigger off a saving throw, because 1) readied actions do not trigger during your turn, 2) you can't take actions during your "end of turn" which is when the saving throw would occur, and 3) the "trigger" for your readied action must itself be an action; you choose an action (move, minor, standard) that will trigger your readied action.

So the only way to 'delay' your movement until a save ends an effect would be via the Delay action, and that wouldn't work because of how Delay and saves interact per the delay rules.

Remove ads