Saving Throws

Zarithar

Adventurer
Another noob question... the last (today) I promise!

If I understand this right, you basically need to roll higher than a 10 to make a saving throw... period. Is this true? Are there any modifiers or penalties? It seems to me that saving throws were much more important and difficult in previous editions.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If I understand this right, you basically need to roll higher than a 10 to make a saving throw... period. Is this true?

No - higher than a 9. 10 or higher.

Are there any modifiers or penalties?

There can be. Elite and Solo monsters get bonuses to saving throws. There's a human racial feat that grants a +1 to saving throws. Races get bonuses to certain specific saving throws. Certain powers grant a saving throw to an ally and provide a bonus on the roll, or inflict a condition on an enemy with a penalty to the saving throw roll.

But in general, it's a straight d20 roll, 55% chance of success.

-Hyp.

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
The saving throws you remember from previous editions is now your Reflex, Fortitude, and Will scores - they are used to avoid an effect. The saving throw in 4e is something else - it's just a way to determine how long an effect lasts instead of having to count rounds. As such, bonuses to this roll are rare as they can dramatically affect how long an effect will last.

Remove ads