• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SC2.0 Style NPC Generation For Modern

Morgenstern

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Actually that IS in Spycraft. :)

To which I thought: "Why?".

Then some testing showed that at the lower end of the ACL spectrum, large numbers of feats inflated the difficulty beyond what the CR adjustment from the feats suggested. You can get 10 feats for +2.0 CR, but those feats can allow some pretty powerful things, especially with melee combat feat chains and the like. 5 seemed "about right" to me, apparently seemed about right to the SC2 designers, so I figured if we both liked it, it was golden.

There are several SC2 NPC qualities that basically sum up to "important NPC" that up the cap to 10 for that NPC.

I suppose I could change the wording to "rule of thumb" type.

--fje

Something that might help is setting this up is to recognize that Spycraft feats are a lot more powerful that d20M/D&D feats, so while 5 will loosely encapsulate a 'shtick' for a Spycraft throw-away NPC, you might want to set the number higher for d20M/D&D builders. Doubling the limit (10) is probabaly a fair and easily rememberable value. You might back it down to 8 as the players are also using feats/classes that don't grant as much raw power. Either way, there is some room to flex.

Last edited:

Morgenstern

First Post
jonrog1 said:
You know, I don't get over here all that much anymore, what with the filthy movies, but I do want to step up and just say out loud, the SC2.0 system is a helluva piece of game design. Now if only they had an alt resource system that didn't grade up for misson difficulty (but I assume we'll see that in one of the non-spy settings).

Again. Kudos.

Thanks!

Crafty is working on a simpler gear set up for non-mission oriented play even as I type!

GMSkarka

Explorer
Just chiming in really quickly: We *are* going to be releasing this one in the next month or so.

...and it is being tooled so that I can be used with either D20 Modern or standard fantasy d20.

jezter6

Explorer
Bump. What's the word on this release? I know that things with Gareth delayed some items, but I'm still hoping to see this soon!

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I have been running a Spycraft campaign for over a year now, and I can tell you that being able to create one stat block that can be used no matter what the level of the PCs is a huge timesaver. And Stress damage was a great addition to D20 as well. The joy of having the soldier curled up in the corner whimpering 'Game over man, game over.' :p

Mind you, I love Spycraft for all sorts of reasons, and intend to run Delta Green with Spycraft when the new hardcover comes out. (Folding it into the background of my X-Com Spycraft game. :) )

Spycraft style stat blocks for more standard D20 is going to be a very worthwhile supplement.

The Auld Grump

wedgeski

Adventurer
Bumpity bump. I just asked whether this exact thing existed in a new thread, and now find myself directed here. Heap! Where for art thou! My NPC's doeth crow for your PDF!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads