• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SC2.0 Style NPC Generation For Modern

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Adamant Entertainment approached me and said: "Would you like power, fame, and riches beyond your wildest imaginings?"

And I said: "Yes, my Dark Masters, yes!"

you ought to have held out for dancing girls too; once you've accepted power, fame and riches beyond your wildest imaginings it is surprisingly hard to get the dancing girls added in to the contract ;)

Gundark

Explorer
what we're talking about is strickly for d20 modern right? Or is it for D&D ? If it's for D&D I'd be all over that like it was Catherine Zeta Jones... :eek: :eek: er... what I mean is that I'd like to see it ;)

Masada

First Post
Drat... i was interested in seeing a conversion. But I already have the SC 2.0 rules and I could probably create something with these rules on my own. I'm afraid Adamant is on my "to be avoided if possible" vendor list.

Gundark

Explorer
There is something that I'm not understanding. I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance :heh: . But why bother? Why convert this over to d20 modern? Why not just play SC 2.0? SC 2.0 is a modern d20 game too (and a better one IMHO). I could see converting it for D&D....but d20 modern????

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Because not everyone is of the opinion that SC2.0 is a "better" game. I, for one, don't see the need to unlearn D20Modern to learn a new, very different, system that doesn't improve a whole lot. I know and work with d20Modern already, and I know how to get it to do everything I want it to do ... and if I find something about another system I like better, I know how to add that to Modern as well.

Not that SC2.0 is a BAD game. There's just a boat load of changes in it, and not all of them I feel need to be made to play a fun game. I liked the different way to do NPCs, especially self-scaling NPCs, so I brought that over to the system I already know. I didn't like, say, shifting Initiative counts or the skill system in SC2, so I didn't bring that over. I don't like WP/VP, how SC2 handles firearms, how it handles multiple damage types, any of the classes, how it handles wealth and gear, etc etc.

I liked the NPCs, the Dramatic Conflicts, and Stress Damage. :) I'm working the kinks out of Stress Damage. I tried using it in a d20 Dark*Matter game, but the slower pace didn't work with the Rules As Written in SC2 (which is written for action spy genre games) ... Stress never built up in the few games we tried it in and it ended up being "yet more dice, yet more numbers" with no pay-off in tone or atmosphere ... so I'm reworking it.

--fje

buzz

Adventurer
Honestly, Gundark, the NPC generation in SC2.0 is so awesome, the more systems it propagates to, the better. :cool:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
...after all, part of the original idea behind the OGL is that the best ideas can be picked up and propagated into other games, right?

Morgenstern

First Post
buzz said:
Honestly, Gundark, the NPC generation in SC2.0 is so awesome, the more systems it propagates to, the better. :cool:
*takes a bow*

Plane Sailing said:
...after all, part of the original idea behind the OGL is that the best ideas can be picked up and propagated into other games, right?
:) Indeed

jonrog1

First Post
You know, I don't get over here all that much anymore, what with the filthy movies, but I do want to step up and just say out loud, the SC2.0 system is a helluva piece of game design. Now if only they had an alt resource system that didn't grade up for misson difficulty (but I assume we'll see that in one of the non-spy settings).

Again. Kudos.

Gundark

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:

True, I would rather see that with D&D before d20 modern. But if a D&D NPC system like that is in the works as well....then all the power too you :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads