SCAG: Purple Dragon Knight background restricted?

Undrhil

Explorer
In the Purple Dragon Knight subclass, it says "Restriction: Knighthood". Does this mean that, in order to become a Purple Dragon Knight, I have to have the Noble variant Knight background?

kalani

First Post
This is a general rules question. However, my belief is that the answe is "no". Regardless, expect table variation.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
How can organized play even work when "Is my basic character concept legal?" is something subject to table variation?

I suspect this will be something that gets admin attention, but until then, you do what you would normally do when joining a new game -- check with the DM first. If your character isn't going to work, pick a different character.

--
Pauper

Vicaring

First Post
Huh. Yeah, that's a poor wording in that book. Were I DM'ing, and lacking some sort of official clarification, I would require the "Knight of the Order" background. Or maybe the Knight variant Noble, now that I'm looking at that. Either one, really.

kalani

First Post
After looking at it further, I would personally allow any of the following options at my table:

Noble (Knight)
Knight of the Order
Custom Background (Custom Knight, eg. Hedge Knight)

It appears that the intent of this class archetype is similar to that of the Battlerager and Bladesinger, in that only characters who meet a specific requirement (in this case a limited list of backgrounds) can become members. Since both the battlerager and bladesinger are restricted in AL, it stands to reason that anyone playing a Purple Dragon Knight or Banneret in AL and is worried about table variation should stick to one of the above three options (as that way, they will never run into issues).

Last edited:

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
I suspect this will be something that gets admin attention, but until then, you do what you would normally do when joining a new game -- check with the DM first. If your character isn't going to work, pick a different character.

--
Pauper
And if the player's only level 5-10 character is their Urchin Purple Dragon Knight (born to nothing but earned her way into the nobility as a teenager by saving a nobleman's daughter's life and being adopted in return) and the game being run that day is in that tier... what then?

"Just play a different character" isn't gonna work. "Don't play" becomes the only option, in spite of the player having followed all written rules in good faith.

This is why the GM shouldn't be able to just ban characters in AL without being able to point out what rule the character breaks - and why things like this need official clarification.

(I don't actually see a reference to specific mechanical backgrounds in the book, so my gut instinct is any ought to be legal)

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
After looking at it further, I would personally allow any of the following options at my table:

Noble (Knight)
Knight of the Order
Custom Background (Custom Knight, eg. Hedge Knight)

It appears that the intent of this class archetype is similar to that of the Battlerager and Bladesinger, in that only characters who meet a specific requirement (in this case a limited list of backgrounds) can become members. Since both the battlerager and bladesinger are restricted in AL, it stands to reason that anyone playing a Purple Dragon Knight or Banneret in AL and is worried about table variation should stick to one of the above three options (as that way, they will never run into issues).
So... you'd throw my above-example player out of your game in that situation because they didn't follow a rule that's not actually written anywhere? And you recommend that people pick their option from a list a random member of AL staff posted to a third-party forum?

warfteiner

First Post
While it does say "Restriction: Knighthood" in the class writeup, nowhere in that writeup does it say anything about restricting backgrounds or other options.

The very phrase itself leads to some discussion between players and DMs, but AL play is *** NOT *** focused on limiting your options. Nowhere in the AL rules packet does it say that you have to have a specific background, beloved pet, a sixth finger, or anything else.

In short:
Pick the Purple Dragon Knight archetype if you want. Congratulations, you're a member of the knighthood!

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
So... you'd throw my above-example player out of your game in that situation because they didn't follow a rule that's not actually written anywhere? And you recommend that people pick their option from a list a random member of AL staff posted to a third-party forum?

If I was a jerk, sure. My experience is that most AL DMs aren't jerks.

--
Pauper

Remove ads