D&D 5E SCAG -- Worth it?

wedgeski

Adventurer
It's a good book, packed with stuff, and solid VFM. It is *not* a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, which seems to be most people's beef with it. I've used it heavily to flesh out PC back-stories and build the second half of my Out of the Abyss campaign arc. I have no regrets!

D

dco

For entertaining I would buy a good book or another RPG or a campaign.
For fluff not worth it if you create your own worlds, and as a campaign guide is lacking.
The extra rules depends, there are some extra paths for each class related to the world, who knows if you will like them or if they will be useful for you, and then some cantrips and backgrounds but you could design your own ones for your world.

there are some extra paths for each class related to the world, who knows if you will like them or if they will be useful for you, and then some cantrips and backgrounds but you could design your own ones for your world.

Minor correction: Most of the extra subclasses aren't particularly related to the Forgotten Realms any more than other D&D worlds. The fighter subclass Purple Dragon Knight is explicitly connected to the Forgotten Realms, but they suggest renaming it Banneret and using it in other worlds. Off the top of my head, none of the others are specifically FR. The Ghostwise Halfling subrace is a FR specific subrace though (the Duergar and Svirfneblin are not). The vast majority of the crunch is setting neutral.

CydKnight

Explorer
It's a good book, packed with stuff, and solid VFM. It is *not* a Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, which seems to be most people's beef with it. I've used it heavily to flesh out PC back-stories and build the second half of my Out of the Abyss campaign arc. I have no regrets!
Thanks for that input, I had planned to order this before beginning my own Out of the Abyss campaign.

I like the 'light' treatment of SCAG. As a DM I hate 'straightjacket' game settings where everywhere is wrapped in immutable lore leaving you very little leeway to insert your own original content in the region. I remember being disgusted by FR back in the day because a DM would set something up and half his players would contradict him with crap from such-and-such novel or splat book. Ugh.

Remove ads