D&D 5E Scaling the number of off-hand attacks?

leinadvirgo

First Post
TornadoCreator brings up a valid point, though not how he meant it. rather than give twf more damage why not give more defense. spit-balling but maybe allow an extra reaction for an enemy who provokes opportunity attack, or allow once a short rest to add a d6 to AC to avoid taking damage (similar to shield spell). hopefully help offset lack of shield and give a little more mobility.

TornadoCreator

First Post
TornadoCreator brings up a valid point, though not how he meant it. rather than give twf more damage why not give more defense. spit-balling but maybe allow an extra reaction for an enemy who provokes opportunity attack, or allow once a short rest to add a d6 to AC to avoid taking damage (similar to shield spell). hopefully help offset lack of shield and give a little more mobility.

I'm a stickler for semi-realism in my games. It's a fantasy game sure, elves, orcs, etc. exist; there's magic and huge dragons... all that jazz. That doesn't stop certain things from being true though and I will punish players for not thinking of it. Taking off your armour does not, for example, stop you from taking the armour check penalty if you're then carrying the damn armour in your backpack! Two weapon fighting makes just zero sense to me, I'd allow you to have +1 AC maybe, to represent your greater ability to parry, but there's already an off-hand implement for that... it's called a shield. Then there's things like torches, I love watching players light old style medieval torches inside dungeons so I can make them panic as the room fills with smoke and stinks to such a level that it becomes choking... because bitumen is not pleasant when it's on fire. I impose a simple house rule; any time you fail a death saving throw you also gain a permanent injury. This can either cripple a limb, cause a loss of sense (blindness, deafness), or a permanent -5 in an attribute. These effects are permanent, only a greater restoration spell will restore them. I find the revolving door nature of D&D where death is a minor inconvenience and being stabbed with a sword is something you can just sleep off after a good nights rest, just ruin any tension or drama the game might have.

brehobit

Explorer
You didn't fix the GWF numbers. You made them wrong. GWF allows rerolls of 1s and 2s. The average damage on a 2d6 weapon with the rerolls is 8.3333 versus 7.0 without it. My original number of 40 was correct.
Agreed. Forgot about that.

Dual wielder increases your damage by 4. GWM for a Champion at it's worst increases it by 3.6 (1.9 for a BM).
Heck, a duelist can even take GWM and get almost as much. He'd get 3.1 as a Champion just from crits.

If you assume you drop a creature to zero on 1 round in 4 you get an extra attack from that feature 18.2% of the time as a Champion. Multiply the rounds you don't get a bonus attack from a crit (72.1%) by 25%. That would add an extra 2.4 damage for a GWF for a total of 6.0.

For a duelist it's an extra 2.1 for a total of 5.2 damage.

6.0 > 5.2 > 4.0. And that's NEVER using the -5/+10 part of the feat (which a duelist can't use, anyway).

EDIT: So a duelist using a feat that isn't even optimized for one weapon increases his damage lead from .5 to 1.7 and still has a higher AC.

Interesting. So starting at level 11 the TWF is down about 2.5 potential damage and one point of AC and is spending a bonus action to get there. Each has the same attack bonus. The few advantages are, well, a regular extra attack which is darn useful when fighting massive number of weak things (Stirges say) but that's probably a job for a caster anyways. Plus I suppose a bit more consistent damage and if you somehow have a fixed bonus to damage from a buff the extra attack comes out (slightly) better. But I agree, starting about level 11 the TWF is looking weaker than the same character with (say) a rapier and shield. A full extra attack with the off hand seems like too much (+9.5 damage is a lot here), but I'm not sure what else to go with. I guess it could just be the extra attack but no bonus from stat? I think I like that (+3.5 or 4.5 damage and the advantages spreading out damage brings keeps it at least close...)
Cool, thanks!

Wik

First Post
I'm a stickler for semi-realism in my games. It's a fantasy game sure, elves, orcs, etc. exist; there's magic and huge dragons... all that jazz. That doesn't stop certain things from being true though and I will punish players for not thinking of it.

Yikes. Why not give players the benefit of the doubt, and point out when things are happening in game that they haven't thought of? I don't really like the idea of a GM "Punishing" PCs. That implies superiority; if a GM is coming from a position of superiority, it's really not fun for players. And that's the whole point of gaming, right?

Taking off your armour does not, for example, stop you from taking the armour check penalty if you're then carrying the damn armour in your backpack!

What armour check penalty? Also, it kind of does work that way in real life. Penalties from armour aren't really from the weight, but from the limited movement of your limbs. For example, I was working in roof trusses yesterday. Crawling on my hands and knees, 20 feet above the ground. When I wear my tool belt, which weighs MAYBE ten pounds, I'm unable to move at all. But take it off, and give me a ten pound skilsaw? I'm fine. The weight had nothing to do with it.

More to the point, wrap me in twenty or thirty pounds of metal armour, and I'll lose mobility. Condense it and put it on my back? No problem; most soldiers fight with more weight on their back, and they have no problem moving.

Two weapon fighting makes just zero sense to me, I'd allow you to have +1 AC maybe, to represent your greater ability to parry, but there's already an off-hand implement for that... it's called a shield.

Sure. That explains why experienced duellists have never, ever, used two weapons in a fight. Oh, wait.

I'm guessing those chaps knew what they were doing. Shields are great, but so is a good main-gauche. You can use it to get a stab in past a guy's shield. It's loosely represented in D&D, but that's because we don't want the game going overboard simulating everything. If you want that, play Shadowrun.

Then there's things like torches, I love watching players light old style medieval torches inside dungeons so I can make them panic as the room fills with smoke and stinks to such a level that it becomes choking... because bitumen is not pleasant when it's on fire.

Except... again, it doesn't always work like that. First, torches were used all the time in the past... and while they DID cause a lot of problems, choking to death wasn't really one of them. Plus, medieval buildings were fairly well ventilated. And, again, if you think that's what happens, shouldn't you warn PCs before they do it? Because while they might not be such torch experts as you, you could reliably assume that their characters would know more.

I know more about sailing than my player who is running a sailor. So if he does something stupid, I mention it to him, and ask "are you sure that's what you wanna do?" It's a lot nicer than saying "Okay, you go out to sea in bad weather without charts. Oops! You hit a rock, fall in the water, and die of hypothermia because you didn't maintain a proper deck watch."

I impose a simple house rule; any time you fail a death saving throw you also gain a permanent injury. This can either cripple a limb, cause a loss of sense (blindness, deafness), or a permanent -5 in an attribute. These effects are permanent, only a greater restoration spell will restore them.

Holy crap, dude. You really do like punishing your players. So... they're not allowed to make mistakes? They have to plan their way through every dungeon like strategists? And if their d20s hate them, they have a permanent mark against them? So, instead of a revolving door of death, you know have a revolving door of New PCs because the last one got crippled, blinded, and lost an arm?

I find the revolving door nature of D&D where death is a minor inconvenience and being stabbed with a sword is something you can just sleep off after a good nights rest, just ruin any tension or drama the game might have.

Then don't describe damage as being hit. It's the armour being hit. It's being put in a worse position as you lose hit points, and losing tactical advantage. It's getting tired from the enemy's relentless attack. It's a near miss that cuts your face. It's feeling fear in your guy as the weight of the goblins' numbers presses in on you. Only when you're reduced to zero hit points did the attack actually "hit".

Which is a lot more dramatic to me. And more semi-realistic.

Anyways, long and short of it is, as someone who has played and GMed a lot of D&D, I'm not playing in your games.

TornadoCreator

First Post
Yikes. Why not give players the benefit of the doubt, and point out when things are happening in game that they haven't thought of? I don't really like the idea of a GM "Punishing" PCs. That implies superiority; if a GM is coming from a position of superiority, it's really not fun for players. And that's the whole point of gaming, right?

Roleplaying is equal parts puzzle solving board game and improv amateur dramatics. If you don't make the puzzles challenging, rewarding smart thinking and punishing bad planning or lack of thought, there's no challenge and no fun. D&D especially is a game you're supposed to lose at if you screw up, and I've never been a fan of the challenge rating idea. Encounters should be fluid and the players should know when something is too much for them. A good team composition will have enough knowledge skills that even if they're complete newbies, they can roll skills and examine the situation in character to know when something is too much.

What armour check penalty? Also, it kind of does work that way in real life. Penalties from armour aren't really from the weight, but from the limited movement of your limbs. For example, I was working in roof trusses yesterday. Crawling on my hands and knees, 20 feet above the ground. When I wear my tool belt, which weighs MAYBE ten pounds, I'm unable to move at all. But take it off, and give me a ten pound skilsaw? I'm fine. The weight had nothing to do with it.

Depends entirely on what you're carrying. I've worn suits of armour, and I can move about and be very mobile in chainmail (which should NOT be heavy armour, and in my game isn't because it's wrong), but you carry a full suit of chainmail in a backpack and you'll be tired in minutes and certainly not well weighted or suited for climbing, swimming etc. Now there's no armour check penalty, it just causes disadvantage for Stealth, but back when there was the idea that you could take off an entire suit of plate armour and put it in your bag, and so long as you're now encumbered you're fine... that never sat well with me. (I also impose disadvantage on Athletics and Acrobatics when wearing heavy armour, because it should!). In fact, I practically re-write the armour rules. I don't allow studded leather, because there's no such thing, and it's a stupid idea that doesn't work. I switch Scale Mail and Chain Mail around, because small interlocking scales would be both heavier and more defensive than chain, so that's the way it should be. I also outright ban "Ring Mail", which is again, made up nonsense of the highest order that not only wouldn't work but would be downright uncomfortable and even dangerous to it's wearer... what can I say, it bothers me when fantasy works get this crap wrong and I'm not prepared to sit around and pretend. I will however allow someone to get a Buckler for +1 AC, and a Heavy Shield for +3 AC as "Shield" on it's own is not even close to adequate. They're 5gp and 50gp, and weigh 2lbs and 10lbs respectively. I also allow my players to buy a Helmet for an additional +1 AC, costing 25gp and weighing 3lbs (though I let them know this is included in plate, though it's optional to wear it, plate without the helmet still gives 19 AC). I do however impose disadvantage to Perception if you're wearing a helmet.

I think my rules on armour are more realistic and far more fair. Stupid things like "Ring Mail" and "Studded Leather" genuinely annoy me. I know they're there to give a natural upgrade path for characters but considering they start many classes with Chainmail (or in my campaign Scale), no-one's going to ever use "Ring Mail" are they.

More to the point, wrap me in twenty or thirty pounds of metal armour, and I'll lose mobility. Condense it and put it on my back? No problem; most soldiers fight with more weight on their back, and they have no problem moving.

Depends entirely how it's distributed, if you make sure to put the links in the correct orientation when making chainmail, it will hug the body and it honestly feels less bulky than a leather jacket. If you gave me that same chainmail shirt folded up in a bag, it would be uncomfortably heavy to carry. I'm sure soldiers do fight carrying bags, but it's just foolish to suggest it doesn't impact their fighting capabilities; also modern soldiers are kneeling, squatting, sitting etc. and pulling a trigger... hardly compares to charging into combat with a sword, axe, mace, or other such weapon and fighting in melee. Firing a gun with a pack on sure, a swordfight with a pack on... you're dead!

Sure. That explains why experienced duellists have never, ever, used two weapons in a fight. Oh, wait.
And it's still stupid. Duelling as a sport is not the same as effective fighting. You CANNOT fight faster with two weapons than you can with one, it is physical impossibility. Give a trained man a rapier and leave his off-hand empty and he will cut faster and more often than anyone with two weapons. Having actually trained with multiple weapons, I can say with confidence, that two weapon fighting is a crock of :):):):) done only for show, and the only exception is fighting with a long dagger in the off hand, which is basically used like a buckler... in other words, it's a pointy shield. It's for when carrying a shield is impractical, and was used primarily to parry a blow, or disarm, in much the same way you would with a small shield. Two full sized swords did not happen.

I'm guessing those chaps knew what they were doing. Shields are great, but so is a good main-gauche. You can use it to get a stab in past a guy's shield. It's loosely represented in D&D, but that's because we don't want the game going overboard simulating everything. If you want that, play Shadowrun.

I do play Shadowrun... every Monday, what's your point?

A main-gauche is basically a shield as I said, it's just a strangely shaped shield. Yes you could stab with it, but you could also bash people with the rim of the shield, or punch with the central boss. Hell, a metal gauntlet was an effective weapon if you punched someone hard enough... so let's not pretend that the main-gauche is what people are doing. It's not... Two weapon fighting is being used by people who want to run around with a Conan fantasy wielding two massive battleaxes simultaneously, or Drizzt Do'Urden fanboys who desperately want two scimitars... or there's an outside chance it's yet another hopeless weeaboo with a katana fetish who want to wield a Katana and Wakizashi at the same time, and I don't allow Japan-wank in my games, it just encourages them. :p

Except... again, it doesn't always work like that. First, torches were used all the time in the past... and while they DID cause a lot of problems, choking to death wasn't really one of them. Plus, medieval buildings were fairly well ventilated. And, again, if you think that's what happens, shouldn't you warn PCs before they do it? Because while they might not be such torch experts as you, you could reliably assume that their characters would know more.

I'm hardly going to just sit there and let them die... I'll tell them periodically that there's a lot of smoke, the smell of the torches is getting very strong, the smoke is starting to make your eyes sting, it's getting hard to breath in here now... etc.

Eventually they'll figure it out, or they're die horribly of asphyxiation while holding a massive chimney in their hand. PC's that stupid deserve to die at their own hands. Especially when there's quite clearly "hooded lamp" marked on their character sheet.

As for well ventilated... no they weren't, they were stone and thatch houses that would have needed to stand up to the weather and maintain heat. They would have had windows, a chimney etc. but they didn't understand air-flow in medieval times. That said, that's completely besides the point. We're not in medieval times, we're in a fantasy world with no relation to Earth at all, so who's to say what their buildings are like; and more-so what their underground multi-levelled dungeons and cultist temples are like. They're most certainly NOT well ventilated, especially if you're going deep enough that you're entering the Upperdark caverns.

I know more about sailing than my player who is running a sailor. So if he does something stupid, I mention it to him, and ask "are you sure that's what you wanna do?" It's a lot nicer than saying "Okay, you go out to sea in bad weather without charts. Oops! You hit a rock, fall in the water, and die of hypothermia because you didn't maintain a proper deck watch."

There's a difference between punishing characters for the players lack of knowledge, and punishing bad roleplaying. As you say, you know more about sailing than the players. I know absolutely nothing about sailing, but if I was going to play a sailor I'd probably stat someone with the 'Sailor' background, which gives me proficiency in Athletics & Perception and tool proficiencies for Navigator's Tools, and Water Vehicles. I'd then likely go with either Ranger or Rogue, either way I'm getting a minimum of 3 skills, maybe as many as 5, if I'm using the Variant Human. So, with that I'd make sure to take Nature, Survival and whatever others best fit the concept. If possible, I'd want to start with proficiency in Cartographer's Tools too, so I'd probably go Variant Human Ranger, and grab a feat that would let me have an additional tool proficiency. I'd make sure I had a decent Strength, Wisdom, Intelligence, and Constitution... probably leaving my Dexterity and Charisma for my lower stats as they're less important... Now, with that character I should be a damn fine sailor. Especially if I pick "The Sea" as my terrain for 'Natural Explorer', giving me advantage on any Perception and Knowledge checks pertaining to that terrain, making it impossible for me to become lost or ambushed at sea, and making it so that I can forage for food easier (which I'd interpret as meaning I know how to effectively fish in the open ocean). With all this, I'd then make a point of asking the GM if there's anything my character feels is missing, and even ask if I can make rolls for my various skills. "Can I make a Nature check to determine if it's save to embark". Things along those lines. I'd use common sense to make sure I've thought of things I feel I'd need. If as a GM someone is doing that, playing the character at least sensibly, I'd probably let things slide that their character should know, but they clearly don't out of character... it's all about getting the balance right, but players love to feel smart, and the best way you can do that is by making them actually think, put themselves into the mindset of the character in question.

Holy crap, dude. You really do like punishing your players. So... they're not allowed to make mistakes? They have to plan their way through every dungeon like strategists? And if their d20s hate them, they have a permanent mark against them? So, instead of a revolving door of death, you know have a revolving door of New PCs because the last one got crippled, blinded, and lost an arm?

If you've put your character in a position where he got crippled, blinded, and lost an arm... what the hell where you doing?!

Seriously, in reality we have one body, one life... I've managed to live the last 30 years without crippling myself, blinding myself, misplacing my limbs, or dying hideously. Now yes, I get that this is a fantasy world, where warfare is commonplace, so the risk is much higher, but if you let everything not matter; the players will treat it like it doesn't matter. The players will think nothing of killing everything because that's what happens in D&D. The players won't bother to plan ahead, after all, it's 1000gp to come back to life and we're level 12 now, so 1000gp is pocket change... my magic sword costs 5 times that much! This is madness. If death had no weight attached to it, how do you raise the stakes. Why would anyone have a backstory about avenging the death of a friend of family member... just work as a merc for a year, buy a diamond and magically clone your loved one at your local friendly temple-r-us.

Some of the best games I've played in have actual consequence. There's no resurrection in Shadowrun or World Of Darkness. Death is death... as is a major piece of character development, such as losing a limb or having a major injury. I had one player play his character blind, despite being a cleric who could heal himself at any time according to the rules; because he wanted to prove to his God and temple that he was worthy of his sight being returned by returning with his party and bringing the tyrant who blinded him to justice. It was great roleplaying, and only worked because of the cost. Another time the player playing the Rogue followed a villain of unknown origin who stole a book of lore needed for their quest from the Wizard, finding the book in a fire, and having no way to put it out, he reached into the fire and took the book out, burning his hands terribly. For the next three sessions, he worked with the Wizard coaching him in how to disarm traps using mage hand, as the Wizard was so grateful. The party worked with him, helping him prepare his food and set up his tent, and because he couldn't fire his bow; he instead fell back on using his skills to help the party. After a few sessions they got to a temple and got a Restoration spell; they even got it for free as the Cleric made an appeal to the temple of Illmater for healing, as this man was willing to sacrifice his livelihood to support his allies... this was great roleplaying and would have been completely screwed if the players could just sleep for 8 hours and *bing* you heal everything; those massive burns, that big stab wound in your leg, the arrow sticking out of your shoulder... go to sleep it'll all be healed in the morning. That kind of healing makes D&D into nothing but a damn cartoon.

Then don't describe damage as being hit. It's the armour being hit. It's being put in a worse position as you lose hit points, and losing tactical advantage. It's getting tired from the enemy's relentless attack. It's a near miss that cuts your face. It's feeling fear in your guy as the weight of the goblins' numbers presses in on you. Only when you're reduced to zero hit points did the attack actually "hit".

For the most part, that's what I do... but injuries still happen.

Which is a lot more dramatic to me. And more semi-realistic.

Anyways, long and short of it is, as someone who has played and GMed a lot of D&D, I'm not playing in your games.

Fair enough... You weren't invited anyway.

Each to their own. I've been GMing now for 12 years, and my games have always been so popular I've had to turn players away. I welcome hearing how others roleplay, but you're not going to convince me my way is wrong. I've had too much good feedback to even entertain such a thing. It may not be to your taste, but it's certainly fun.

Wik

First Post
Roleplaying is equal parts puzzle solving board game and improv amateur dramatics. If you don't make the puzzles challenging, rewarding smart thinking and punishing bad planning or lack of thought, there's no challenge and no fun. D&D especially is a game you're supposed to lose at if you screw up, and I've never been a fan of the challenge rating idea. Encounters should be fluid and the players should know when something is too much for them. A good team composition will have enough knowledge skills that even if they're complete newbies, they can roll skills and examine the situation in character to know when something is too much.

Except you've said, a few times, that you "punish" players for not knowing stuff that their characters should know. That, to me, is not a fun way to play. I've been in those games. I'll pass. But I agree with you - you should make the game challenging. Absolutely. But "Challenging" is not "Aha! That violates my opinion of what's realistic! So time to be punished!"

Depends entirely on what you're carrying. I've worn suits of armour, and I can move about and be very mobile in chainmail (which should NOT be heavy armour, and in my game isn't because it's wrong), but you carry a full suit of chainmail in a backpack and you'll be tired in minutes and certainly not well weighted or suited for climbing, swimming etc.

Well, let's see. I rockclimb. Counting ropes, food, sleeping supplies, carabeeners, I'm probably carrying forty pounds or so? Going up a rock face. Chainmail is about that. So I don't know. I also did a twelve hour hike carrying fifty pounds. Over multiple days. I was tired, sure, but I lived. And I'm not a super guy in terms of strength, size, muscle mass, whatever.

Oh. I also do search and rescue. On a boat. And my gear there is fairly heavy. And it's not the weight that sucks, but the bulkiness. Trust me. Bulkiness is a lot worse than weight. You can ignore weight.

Now there's no armour check penalty, it just causes disadvantage for Stealth, but back when there was the idea that you could take off an entire suit of plate armour and put it in your bag, and so long as you're now encumbered you're fine... that never sat well with me.

Well I can tell you from personal experience, that if you put a bulky item in a bag, and it's not slowing down your limb movement, it's not nearly as bad. Putting the weight on your back, and not your limbs, is gonna make it seem like it weighs a lot less, too. This is pretty basic stuff.

(I also impose disadvantage on Athletics and Acrobatics when wearing heavy armour, because it should!). In fact, I practically re-write the armour rules.

Hey, I do too. It's a fair rule. Actually, my house rule is that whenever armour gives disadvantage on stealth, it's also disadvantage on acrobatics, and SOME Athletics checks. So there's that.

I don't allow studded leather, because there's no such thing, and it's a stupid idea that doesn't work.

So what do you do about dragons? Ogres? Hell, Renaissance Armour mixing with Medieval Armour? Where do you draw the line seperating "realism" from "fantasy game"? Honestly, I get sort of where you're coming from, but I don't really see the point about getting bent out of shape over stuff like Ring Mail, Studded Leather, etc., in a game where the fighter's best friend can throw fireballs.

I switch Scale Mail and Chain Mail around, because small interlocking scales would be both heavier and more defensive than chain, so that's the way it should be.

Sure, fair enough. I wouldn't, but I'm not really OCD on that sort of thing. We mostly just ignore it, but if that's the way it works for you, cool. Flavour is flavour.

I also outright ban "Ring Mail", which is again, made up nonsense of the highest order that not only wouldn't work but would be downright uncomfortable and even dangerous to it's wearer... what can I say, it bothers me when fantasy works get this crap wrong and I'm not prepared to sit around and pretend.

Dude, it's D&D. "Sitting down and pretending" is kind of what the game is all about! I don't think you can get past the pretend part.. maybe the "sit" part, but that always seemed secondary to me.

I will however allow someone to get a Buckler for +1 AC, and a Heavy Shield for +3 AC as "Shield" on it's own is not even close to adequate. They're 5gp and 50gp, and weigh 2lbs and 10lbs respectively. I also allow my players to buy a Helmet for an additional +1 AC, costing 25gp and weighing 3lbs (though I let them know this is included in plate, though it's optional to wear it, plate without the helmet still gives 19 AC). I do however impose disadvantage to Perception if you're wearing a helmet.

I played in a game that did stuff like this. You're welcome to your own game, but I find it's just layers of rules for little gain. Also, by adding helmets, you've just upped the average AC of the fighters by 1 for no real loss (except perception, which could be an issue, fair enough). And three sizes of shields, while realistic (absolutely!) ultimately has the same problem it's always had - two sizes of shields only show up... the light buckler, and the heavy +3 shield. No one takes the middle ground in that approach. It's the age old problem of "my game is anime, and I don't know why!". But hey, your game.

I think my rules on armour are more realistic and far more fair. Stupid things like "Ring Mail" and "Studded Leather" genuinely annoy me. I know they're there to give a natural upgrade path for characters but considering they start many classes with Chainmail (or in my campaign Scale), no-one's going to ever use "Ring Mail" are they.

Honestly, you're realizing why the rule is there, and acknowledging that it's there when you change. While I disagree with your logic, I can't fault you for doing it. But in my opinion (if you care), I never expect PCs to wear Ring Mail. I DO expect NPCs to wear it. Or, when the PCs get hirelings (which, in my games, they do), they start outfitting them with "the cheap stuff". So that's why it's there, at least for me.

Depends entirely how it's distributed, if you make sure to put the links in the correct orientation when making chainmail, it will hug the body and it honestly feels less bulky than a leather jacket. If you gave me that same chainmail shirt folded up in a bag, it would be uncomfortably heavy to carry. I'm sure soldiers do fight carrying bags, but it's just foolish to suggest it doesn't impact their fighting capabilities; also modern soldiers are kneeling, squatting, sitting etc. and pulling a trigger... hardly compares to charging into combat with a sword, axe, mace, or other such weapon and fighting in melee. Firing a gun with a pack on sure, a swordfight with a pack on... you're dead!

Again, not so. The Romans fought with gear on their backs. A LOT of gear. They were called "Marius' mules" for a reason. And sometimes they were able to drop their gear. Often, they weren't. And tell a modern soldier that they didn't try as hard as their medieval counterparts. Do it in a bar. Look out for barstools.

Your heaviest gear is going to be what's in your arms. Regardless of how much it weighs. Gear that you're wearing is gonna slow you down in your arms, hips, and legs. Gear on your back isn't going to, not until the fight is over. And then you'll be sore as hell.

And it's still stupid. Duelling as a sport is not the same as effective fighting. You CANNOT fight faster with two weapons than you can with one, it is physical impossibility. Give a trained man a rapier and leave his off-hand empty and he will cut faster and more often than anyone with two weapons. Having actually trained with multiple weapons, I can say with confidence, that two weapon fighting is a crock of :):):):) done only for show, and the only exception is fighting with a long dagger in the off hand, which is basically used like a buckler... in other words, it's a pointy shield. It's for when carrying a shield is impractical, and was used primarily to parry a blow, or disarm, in much the same way you would with a small shield. Two full sized swords did not happen.

Well that's good. The rules don't really suggest full sized swords, but short swords, daggers. Also, the secondary weapon was often used to get past defensive barriers. And let's not forget people that used flails, nets, hooks, anything like that as a secondary weapon.

But even if that's the case, my original point stands. It's a game where the fighter's best friend is summoning fireballs. Who cares if two weapon fighting didn't happen in the real world!? Fireballs DEFINITELY didn't happen, and we high five everytime one of those shows up (especially if it's a necklace of fireballs, and ESPECIALLY if someone was wearing it when it went off).

I do play Shadowrun... every Monday, what's your point?

Thought I smelled an SR player. And my point is, it's a game with a buttload of modifiers that are there purely for "realism"... in a game of elves and magic and cyberware. It's a fun game, mind, but it's ten times harder than it needs to be because of a hugely tiered rules system... that scares away all but the diehards.

A main-gauche is basically a shield as I said, it's just a strangely shaped shield. Yes you could stab with it, but you could also bash people with the rim of the shield, or punch with the central boss. Hell, a metal gauntlet was an effective weapon if you punched someone hard enough... so let's not pretend that the main-gauche is what people are doing. It's not... Two weapon fighting is being used by people who want to run around with a Conan fantasy wielding two massive battleaxes simultaneously, or Drizzt Do'Urden fanboys who desperately want two scimitars...

And why not? Conan is awesome. And if you like Drizzt, hey, have fun. It's not my job to tell other people what they can and cannot like. If someone wants to two weapon wield, why am I stepping in and saying "no, you can't do that, because I have sword experience and it's not practical in the real world"?

or there's an outside chance it's yet another hopeless weeaboo with a katana fetish who want to wield a Katana and Wakizashi at the same time, and I don't allow Japan-wank in my games, it just encourages them. :p

Well, can't fault you there. Japan is terrible. Shame on people for liking different things. ;)

I'm hardly going to just sit there and let them die... I'll tell them periodically that there's a lot of smoke, the smell of the torches is getting very strong, the smoke is starting to make your eyes sting, it's getting hard to breath in here now... etc.

Eventually they'll figure it out, or they're die horribly of asphyxiation while holding a massive chimney in their hand. PC's that stupid deserve to die at their own hands. Especially when there's quite clearly "hooded lamp" marked on their character sheet.

Fair, but not what you said in your original post.

As for well ventilated... no they weren't, they were stone and thatch houses that would have needed to stand up to the weather and maintain heat. They would have had windows, a chimney etc. but they didn't understand air-flow in medieval times.

Funnily enough, I'm a carpenter with a history degree. Want to talk about air flow in buildings? Because I can talk about air flow in buildings.

That said, that's completely besides the point. We're not in medieval times, we're in a fantasy world with no relation to Earth at all, so who's to say what their buildings are like;

But only buildings. Not their armours, torches, weapons, or anything else that arbitrarily piques your ire.

Carry on.

and moreso what their underground multi-levelled dungeons and cultist temples are like. They're most certainly NOT well ventilated, especially if you're going deep enough that you're entering the Upperdark caverns.

That's fair. And if players try to do that, then maybe an encounter where they get boned would be fun. Agreed. So long as they get a warning before they're totally screwed by the use of a torch, I have no problem with this sort of thinking. Might even steal it at some point.
There's a difference between punishing characters for the players lack of knowledge, and punishing bad roleplaying. As you say, you know more about sailing than the players. I know absolutely nothing about sailing, but if I was going to play a sailor I'd probably stat someone with the 'Sailor' background, which gives me proficiency in Athletics & Perception and tool proficiencies for Navigator's Tools, and Water Vehicles. I'd then likely go with either Ranger or Rogue, either way I'm getting a minimum of 3 skills, maybe as many as 5, if I'm using the Variant Human. So, with that I'd make sure to take Nature, Survival and whatever others best fit the concept. If possible, I'd want to start with proficiency in Cartographer's Tools too, so I'd probably go Variant Human Ranger, and grab a feat that would let me have an additional tool proficiency. I'd make sure I had a decent Strength, Wisdom, Intelligence, and Constitution... probably leaving my Dexterity and Charisma for my lower stats as they're less important... Now, with that character I should be a damn fine sailor. Especially if I pick "The Sea" as my terrain for 'Natural Explorer', giving me advantage on any Perception and Knowledge checks pertaining to that terrain, making it impossible for me to become lost or ambushed at sea, and making it so that I can forage for food easier (which I'd interpret as meaning I know how to effectively fish in the open ocean). With all this, I'd then make a point of asking the GM if there's anything my character feels is missing, and even ask if I can make rolls for my various skills. "Can I make a Nature check to determine if it's save to embark". Things along those lines. I'd use common sense to make sure I've thought of things I feel I'd need. If as a GM someone is doing that, playing the character at least sensibly, I'd probably let things slide that their character should know, but they clearly don't out of character... it's all about getting the balance right, but players love to feel smart, and the best way you can do that is by making them actually think, put themselves into the mindset of the character in question.

Sure. And I fully agree (except about fishing in the open ocean; that's a terrible idea). But again, your original post didn't say that at all. It frequently used the word "punish", and I don't believe I have any right to punish my players for lack of knowledge.

[quote[If you've put your character in a position where he got crippled, blinded, and lost an arm... what the hell where you doing?![/quote]

Playing in your campaign, where I've failed three dying saves.

In context, our party rogue is level 2 right now... and she's failed three dying saves so far already! If she were in your game, she'd have a whole buttload of penalties... and would be playing a new character by now.

I'll pass. In my games, she's got a few scars, and a broken nose. No penalties, but some fun notes on her character sheet. It's been three weeks, and she's STILL excited about the time she hid behind a suit of animated armour, and when it came to life, it elbowed her in the face and broke her nose.

Seriously, in reality we have one body, one life... I've managed to live the last 30 years without crippling myself, blinding myself, misplacing my limbs, or dying hideously. Now yes, I get that this is a fantasy world, where warfare is commonplace, so the risk is much higher, but if you let everything not matter; the players will treat it like it doesn't matter. The players will think nothing of killing everything because that's what happens in D&D. The players won't bother to plan ahead, after all, it's 1000gp to come back to life and we're level 12 now, so 1000gp is pocket change... my magic sword costs 5 times that much! This is madness. If death had no weight attached to it, how do you raise the stakes. Why would anyone have a backstory about avenging the death of a friend of family member... just work as a merc for a year, buy a diamond and magically clone your loved one at your local friendly temple-r-us.

This is a common problem in D&D. Removing raise dead is an option that could fix it - and one I've done that works wonders. I highly recommend it. But permanently disabling characters for failing one dying save? That's WORSE than the way it is now, because it encourages players with worthless characters to retire and make a new one. And then, backstories become JOKES because you never know when your character is gonna get seriously maimed and become unplayable.

Not to mention, curing those problems is similar to raising dead in other games - you plop the money down for a restoration the way trophy wives plop down money for a new facelift. Guh.

Some of the best games I've played in have actual consequence. There's no resurrection in Shadowrun or World Of Darkness. Death is death... as is a major piece of character development, such as losing a limb or having a major injury.
I don't know WoD, but in Shadowrun, you lose a limb, you get it replaced. In D&D, the only way to do that is by getting a spell to fix it for you. Which is exactly the same as a raise dead. So I don't get how one doesn't have consequences and the other doesn't.

I had one player play his character blind, despite being a cleric who could heal himself at any time according to the rules; because he wanted to prove to his God and temple that he was worthy of his sight being returned by returning with his party and bringing the tyrant who blinded him to justice. It was great roleplaying, and only worked because of the cost.

What cost!? You just said he could heal himself at any time! So, what happened here was a player CHOSE to do something cool, and you went with it. That's good DMing. It'd be different if, say, the PC got blinded, and said "now it's personal!" and wanted revenge... and when he went to heal himself you said "Ah, actually, healing the blind is unrealistic. You can't do it."

Another time the player playing the Rogue followed a villain of unknown origin who stole a book of lore needed for their quest from the Wizard, finding the book in a fire, and having no way to put it out, he reached into the fire and took the book out, burning his hands terribly. For the next three sessions, he worked with the Wizard coaching him in how to disarm traps using mage hand, as the Wizard was so grateful. The party worked with him, helping him prepare his food and set up his tent, and because he couldn't fire his bow; he instead fell back on using his skills to help the party. After a few sessions they got to a temple and got a Restoration spell; they even got it for free as the Cleric made an appeal to the temple of Illmater for healing, as this man was willing to sacrifice his livelihood to support his allies... this was great roleplaying and would have been completely screwed if the players could just sleep for 8 hours and *bing* you heal everything; those massive burns, that big stab wound in your leg, the arrow sticking out of your shoulder... go to sleep it'll all be healed in the morning. That kind of healing makes D&D into nothing but a damn cartoon.

Sure. But that even, too, was rules as written, with the GM making a few exceptions for specific circumstances. And there's no problem with that. It's great times. But having a huge penalty because of a failed death save? They accumulate quickly, and now players are playing a gimp squad. Blech.

Also, some groups love healing most of their damage within a day or two. I'm one of those players. I want my characters to accumulate scars, not career-ending injuries. It's also why I don't personally play football or hockey.

Fair enough... You weren't invited anyway.

Sounds good to me.

Each to their own. I've been GMing now for 12 years, and my games have always been so popular I've had to turn players away. I welcome hearing how others roleplay, but you're not going to convince me my way is wrong. I've had too much good feedback to even entertain such a thing. It may not be to your taste, but it's certainly fun.

Sure. And that's great news. And by all means listen to the good feedback. But if you want a piece of helpful advice, I'd suggest that GMs generally always get good feedback; they have to look for the downsides. Maybe they're not there for your group - everyone's different - but in my experience, any sort of GM that speaks of "punishing" players, arbitrarily enforces "realism", takes stabs at house-rules that change the flow of the game to better reflect realism, and permanently hinders characters for doing things that they regularly do.... those sorts of GMs sometimes have unhappy players that don't say things.

Trust me. I've been that player.

Anyways, my two cents. Good luck with your game.

Last edited:

TornadoCreator

First Post
[MENTION=40177]Wik[/MENTION]

Interesting discussion. I think we've reached the point where we'll simply have to agree that we run the game differently and we like it for different reasons. I find obvious high fantasy to be a little too outlandish and what little knowledge I have in history I find difficult to just let go of when I play the games. I'm actually not the most knowledgeable in the group as two of my players are history students, one graduated with a masters but has done little with it, the second however is currently doing his PhD and looking to become a teacher. I also have a vicar with a degree in ancient mythology in my group, which is awkward when you're attempting to describe a legendary creature and he knows what it is and all it's weaknesses before you finish your first sentence. We've had to purposely act "in character" many times, because we know things our characters simply wouldn't. For example, I'm a forensic biochemist... which would make Shadowrun a lot less interesting if I played a character intimately familiar with forensics who knew exactly how to cover up and destroy all the evidence he's leaving behind. (It'd probably get tedious too).

As for the penalty for death save failure... honestly, my players rarely failed death saves. In a solid 4 month campaign playing every week I think less than half a dozen death saves where failed; two saves failed by the Wizard, and three failed by other characters. I didn't have a single player death in the whole campaign... all because they where careful and planned their approach. (This is also however the same group I play Shadowrun with, who've had only 3 player deaths in over 2 YEARS! of a continuous campaign playing almost every week. And 2 of them where player vs. player). If it genuinely got to the extreme you're saying where someone is failing multiple death saves by level 2, I'd almost certainly be re-evaluating that little house rule.

Honestly, if I was ever running a game online, I'd encourage you to try out my more grounded style of game. Who knows, you may find you'd like it. It's different sure, but it's very character driven and puts more emphasis on the roleplaying and adventuring part of the game, rather than the combat.

(Oh, and fishing on the open ocean... why is that a stupid idea? Surely I could set up a block and tackle, drop a weighted fishing net from a winch, much like a modern day trawler; and with a strong rope and a few men, draw in a few fish. I don't expect to get much without knowing where the local schools of fish are, and I'd keep spare nets so if I caught anything too big that may tear the net, I'm not screwed. All in all though, this seems reasonable to me though. I'm hardly going to sit at the side of the ship with my fishing rod if that's what you're picturing).

Thanks for the threadcrap, guys.
[MENTION=6672078]TornadoCreator[/MENTION]: Your post count is pretty low, so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's generally considered rude to write extended off-topic posts. You've written very little in this thread about Two-Weapon Fighting, but a lot about things you think are badwrongfun, i.e: things you don't like and don't think anyone else should like either. "Stupid" and "wrong" are not constructive ways to talk about styles of gaming that you don't care for. Those are your opinions, and they're fine, but don't expect others to agree or necessarily even be interested in hearing them unless solicited in an appropriate discussion. So, if you wanna talk about armor penalties, bitumen torches, or deep-sea fishing, fork it to another thread. Even if you wanna talk about whether or not TWF should be allowed, fork it, because that's still not the topic here. Thanks bud.
[MENTION=40177]Wik[/MENTION]: You know better.

You didn't fix the GWF numbers. You made them wrong. GWF allows rerolls of 1s and 2s. The average damage on a 2d6 weapon with the rerolls is 8.3333 versus 7.0 without it. My original number of 40 was correct.

If you want to add feats, taking GWM and NEVER using the -5/+10 portion will add (if a Champion) 10%+ damage from the bonus action attack. You'll get at least one crit 27.1% of the time which will yield (2d6+5)*.271 = 3.6 extra damage or 9% more plus whatever extra attacks you might get from dropping an opponent to zero on the 72.9% of the rounds you don't get a crit.

Dual wielder increases your damage by 4. GWM for a Champion at it's worst increases it by 3.6 (1.9 for a BM).

Heck, a duelist can even take GWM and get almost as much. He'd get 3.1 as a Champion just from crits.

If you assume you drop a creature to zero on 1 round in 4 you get an extra attack from that feature 18.2% of the time as a Champion. Multiply the rounds you don't get a bonus attack from a crit (72.1%) by 25%. That would add an extra 2.4 damage for a GWF for a total of 6.0.

For a duelist it's an extra 2.1 for a total of 5.2 damage.

6.0 > 5.2 > 4.0. And that's NEVER using the -5/+10 part of the feat (which a duelist can't use, anyway).

EDIT: So a duelist using a feat that isn't even optimized for one weapon increases his damage lead from .5 to 1.7 and still has a higher AC.

Agreed. Forgot about that.

Interesting. So starting at level 11 the TWF is down about 2.5 potential damage and one point of AC and is spending a bonus action to get there. Each has the same attack bonus. The few advantages are, well, a regular extra attack which is darn useful when fighting massive number of weak things (Stirges say) but that's probably a job for a caster anyways. Plus I suppose a bit more consistent damage and if you somehow have a fixed bonus to damage from a buff the extra attack comes out (slightly) better. But I agree, starting about level 11 the TWF is looking weaker than the same character with (say) a rapier and shield. A full extra attack with the off hand seems like too much (+9.5 damage is a lot here), but I'm not sure what else to go with. I guess it could just be the extra attack but no bonus from stat? I think I like that (+3.5 or 4.5 damage and the advantages spreading out damage brings keeps it at least close...)
Cool, thanks!
I'm pretty interested in this angle you guys have here. That said, I think having an extra attack with no +stat mod is sort unnecessarily complex. Anything else we can do to round out the cost/benefit of TWF at 11th level? Give a +1 to AC? (If so, how would that stack with the Dual Wielder feat?)

TornadoCreator

First Post
@doctorhook

Dude, it was a natural progression of the discussion. It's not like we where discussing our favourite cheesecake recipies. The moderators didn't care and we weren't breaking any rules. If you're as regular on forums as I am you know as well as I do that this insistance on starting new threads every time the topic diverges slightly actually just kills discussion stone dead. This is a discussion forum, complaining at people for having a discussion is just silly. As for my way of talking, yes, some things are 'silly' and 'wrong', if me pointing this out to you is so upsetting perhaps you shouldn't be playing D&D. It's serious biznus this...

Honestly, I'm still getting used to the community, and I appreciate you taking the time to message me, but I'm hardly new to forums and I know there's a split thread feature if the moderators really wanted to seperate the discussion, and I'm sure they'd speak out if they felt the thread was particular derailed. One thing I definitely know though, is no-one likes a backseat moderator, and these posts are more of a derailment to the tread than anything posted previously... so, what do you say, let's just go back to talking about playing make believe and not picking at each other because of the way we're discussing it. It's all just casual fun, right guys.

Remove ads