Scarred Lands: Ask the Sage [New and Improved!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGKushner

First Post
To me, Mithril has always been one of the best places to start a campaign. It has just about everything you could want.

1. Cult of the Golem: An interesting little side campiagn bit where people actually worship the Golem as opposed to Corean.

2. Pirates from the Blood Sea.

3. Mullis Town and other outlaying areas.

4. Adventure seeds and plans.

5. A Vigil Outlook so your rangers and paladins can combine forces.

6. A strong hatred in Mitrhil against those of the Penumbral Pentagon allowing you to tie in multiple sources into one city.

7. The Mithril Knight and the Coreanic Order of monks that use long swords.

Perhaps its just nostalgia because it was my first campiagn starter city for SL or my first game as a PC but I enjoy it.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Got nothing against Mithril myself. I just like my home town and I like dead things. Plus final fortiture makes for getting rid of rowdy/unruly PCs quite well.

Fulcan

First Post
RRI Summoner

I've posted this question on the Sword and Sworcery forums also, but I figure double coverage is always a good thing.

I'm contemplating taking levels in the Summoner class, but I noticed something a little funky about the class features. At first level the Summoner gets a metamagic feat that can only be used on her bonus summoning spell. She doesn't get that bonus summoning spell until second level. Therefore, that metamagic feat is useless.

Should it be that the metamagic feats granted by the summoner PrC should apply to all summoning spells? Or should the alternating bonus spell, metamagic feat pattern be reversed so that at first level she gets a bonus summoning spell instead?

-Fulcan

Nightfall

I always thought the Summoner class needed rewording for a lot of reasons. This is another example of that. That being said, I think the best way to fix it is to reverse the bonus summoning spells and bonus feats. That's just my opinion. Personally I would have just fixed this Pr-class so that it was similar to Demonologist in BoVD or Diabolist.

Fulcan

First Post
I think switching them is the right way to go, too. I'm also intrested in re-writing the PrC a bit so I'll definitely have a look at the Demonologist.

Thanks!

Golem2176

Banned
Banned
What is the point of buying the campaign books if all you are looking for is inspiration? I already own the Ghelspad campaign book, but nothing truly appealed to my interests. Why should I buy the Termana campaign guide?

dreaded_beast

First Post
First of all, let me apologize if my questions have already been answered earlier in the thread, I just didn't want to scan through all the pages. :)

1. What are the changes to the core classes if any? If you can't get into the specifics, can you direct me to which books have that info?

2. I want to play a character with a "dark" background, something along the lines of being "tainted" by fiends, either demons or devils. Is there any interesting location, area, or part of the history in Scarred Lands that I can incorporate with that of my character's background?

Nightfall

Golem2176 said:
What is the point of buying the campaign books if all you are looking for is inspiration? I already own the Ghelspad campaign book, but nothing truly appealed to my interests. Why should I buy the Termana campaign guide?
Well you can check out the reviews by good ole Joe Kushner and our own Trick to determine if you want it. Here are those reviews: Joe Kushner and TricksterGod/Trick

Hope that helps. My own opinion, get them if you want a more "Savage" Lost world kind of feel. Plus the Jungles of Termana are kind of fun. :)

dreaded_beast said:
First of all, let me apologize if my questions have already been answered earlier in the thread, I just didn't want to scan through all the pages. :)
Understandable. I am considering closing this thread when we reach ten pages. (Just figure why keep drawn out?) :)

dreaded_beast said:
1. What are the changes to the core classes if any? If you can't get into the specifics, can you direct me to which books have that info?
Well there aren't THAT many changes per say as much as "flavor" I will say the Player's Guides do a good job of giving ideas and understandings to each of the 11 core classes. But overall a fighter is still a fighter (he just now has schools of training), a rogue is still a rogue (just with a better understanding of the laws and how to get around them). Clerics...well depends on the gods and such but they still are servants of divine powers. And Wizards...well they cast spells, and learn by rote/spell knowledge. The other classes...well it goes like this. Druids don't serve gods. They serve the world and use it towards their own ends. Some view this by the fact the Titans are powers of nature given shape, form and sentience. Rangers are druids with a little less natural training but some do follow the gods. Paladins, quite frankly, are servants of gods but they also have codes and understandings. Most just prefer Corean or if they serve Madriel or Hedrada, they still pay homage to him and their other god. Monks believe in the perfection by uniting body and soul to a particular ideal or aesthec understanding. Sorcerers, for the most part, ARE power given flesh and often are the spiritual leaders as much as druids for titanspawn. Even so there are other powers, such as celestial, fey-touched and even just draconic sorcerers. Bards...well they are often the odd man out but they still play music and believe in composing epics to show case either their own worth or that of their companions and thus live vicaciously through those works. Barbarians are spiritual warriors but channel the rage and understanding of the natural world.

Does that help?

dreaded_beast said:
2. I want to play a character with a "dark" background, something along the lines of being "tainted" by fiends, either demons or devils. Is there any interesting location, area, or part of the history in Scarred Lands that I can incorporate with that of my character's background?
Well sure. The Obsidin Pyre is a very, VERY secretive group of summoners that have made pacts with the Daemon Princes of the Blackest Pits of Belsameth. They have a nice place there in the Stricken Woods. So there's one option for you. More I'll think up in a minute.

dreaded_beast

First Post
Nightfall said:
Well there aren't THAT many changes per say as much as "flavor" I will say the Player's Guides do a good job of giving ideas and understandings to each of the 11 core classes. But overall a fighter is still a fighter (he just now has schools of training), a rogue is still a rogue (just with a better understanding of the laws and how to get around them). Clerics...well depends on the gods and such but they still are servants of divine powers. And Wizards...well they cast spells, and learn by rote/spell knowledge. The other classes...well it goes like this. Druids don't serve gods. They serve the world and use it towards their own ends. Some view this by the fact the Titans are powers of nature given shape, form and sentience. Rangers are druids with a little less natural training but some do follow the gods. Paladins, quite frankly, are servants of gods but they also have codes and understandings. Most just prefer Corean or if they serve Madriel or Hedrada, they still pay homage to him and their other god. Monks believe in the perfection by uniting body and soul to a particular ideal or aesthec understanding. Sorcerers, for the most part, ARE power given flesh and often are the spiritual leaders as much as druids for titanspawn. Even so there are other powers, such as celestial, fey-touched and even just draconic sorcerers. Bards...well they are often the odd man out but they still play music and believe in composing epics to show case either their own worth or that of their companions and thus live vicaciously through those works. Barbarians are spiritual warriors but channel the rage and understanding of the natural world.

Does that help?

Yes, somewhat, thanks. Mind giving the names of the Player's Guides for the appropriate class? Is it akin to Relics and Rituals?

When you say flavor, is just flavor, or are there actually game mechanics involved? In other words, game mechanics-wise, are they exactly the same with no changes, except that the "descriptive" text for the class is different? I understand you probably cannot say that fighters get this at 1st level, this at 2nd, etc.

Well sure. The Obsidin Pyre is a very, VERY secretive group of summoners that have made pacts with the Daemon Princes of the Blackest Pits of Belsameth. They have a nice place there in the Stricken Woods. So there's one option for you. More I'll think up in a minute.

That sounds great! Can you tell me what book I may find more info on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads