Taelorn76

First Post
There are 5 Players Guides available.

"Players Guide to Clerics and Druids"
"Players Guide to Fighters and Barbarians"
"Players Guide to Monks and Paladins"
"Players Guide to Rangers and Rogues"
"Players Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers"

You can also find info on the Obsidian Pyre in chapter 5 of Ghelspad book. I think they also mention it in Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerer, but I am not sure because I don't own it.

Last edited:

eryndel

Explorer
dreaded_beast said:
Yes, somewhat, thanks. Mind giving the names of the Player's Guides for the appropriate class? Is it akin to Relics and Rituals?

When you say flavor, is just flavor, or are there actually game mechanics involved? In other words, game mechanics-wise, are they exactly the same with no changes, except that the "descriptive" text for the class is different? I understand you probably cannot say that fighters get this at 1st level, this at 2nd, etc.
Except for that arcane spellcasters create heat when they cast spells, there aren't any real mechanical differences inherently between Scarred Lands classes and PHB classes. However, there are feats to represent different "flavor" aspects of the Scarred Lands. Sorcerers (really just PHB Sorcerers) have access to a set of scion feats which represent their breeding and give them increased capability for casting certain spells while also requiring the sorcerer to learn those same spells. Druids can take certain feats (Primal feats? I still haven't received my copy of Clerics and Druids) that represent abilities gained from different titanic Epochs. A lot of these additions you'll find in the various players guides. The Scarred Lands really more builds on the core rulebooks instead of changing them.

Hope this helps,
Werner

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Taelorn76 said:
You can also find info on the Obsidian Pyre in chapter 5 of Ghelspad book. I think they also mention it in Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerer, but I am not sure because I don't own it.
They are mentioned in the wizard section but yes.

Werner,

It is primal feats. There are also Virtue feats for paladins, Martial Arts feats for Monks, both druids and barbarians can get Totem feats. (Actually probably a lot of other classes could but those seem the most appropriate), Scion feats for Sorcerers. Tradition feats for Bards and Miracle feats for clerics. (They are obviously more clerical oriented but pretty similar to divine feats.)

db,

Like Werner said, other than arcane heat for sorcerers and wizards, there are no game mechanic differences to the classes. Arcane heat is just an aspect to make casting in armor more difficult as well as have a good reason for half naked female arcane spellcasters. Bards don't generate arcane heat, but that's mostly because they cast with songs.

Also there is a feat that sorcerers can take to let them get more "demonic" pact stuff called Sorcerous pact. That's in PG: Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers. In fact that book details a good bit about evil outsiders. Other than PG: Clerics and Druids, those two books are the best at focusing on evil outsiders. (The PG: Paladins and Monks do mention outsiders but not at the same degree I think you'd enjoy PG: Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers).

Hope that was helpful.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Taelorn76 said:
When is that due out?
Any changes in the Release Schedule, some time in May.

Echoes of the Past, again if no changes are made in the schedules, is slated for March 1st.

Between those times, Relics and Rituals: Excaliber and d20 Advanced Compendium are the only April releases on the S&SS calender. Even though they aren't Scarred Lands material.

Last edited:

dreaded_beast

First Post
Nightfall said:
They are mentioned in the wizard section but yes.

Werner,

It is primal feats. There are also Virtue feats for paladins, Martial Arts feats for Monks, both druids and barbarians can get Totem feats. (Actually probably a lot of other classes could but those seem the most appropriate), Scion feats for Sorcerers. Tradition feats for Bards and Miracle feats for clerics. (They are obviously more clerical oriented but pretty similar to divine feats.)

db,

Like Werner said, other than arcane heat for sorcerers and wizards, there are no game mechanic differences to the classes. Arcane heat is just an aspect to make casting in armor more difficult as well as have a good reason for half naked female arcane spellcasters. Bards don't generate arcane heat, but that's mostly because they cast with songs.

Also there is a feat that sorcerers can take to let them get more "demonic" pact stuff called Sorcerous pact. That's in PG: Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers. In fact that book details a good bit about evil outsiders. Other than PG: Clerics and Druids, those two books are the best at focusing on evil outsiders. (The PG: Paladins and Monks do mention outsiders but not at the same degree I think you'd enjoy PG: Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers).

Hope that was helpful.

YES! Thanks! You've pretty much given me all I need to know to get a feel for the setting. I just joined a new gaming group and we have decided to play in the Scarred Lands setting, because the DM and the other player have wanted to play it for some time. I didn't really know much about it, but I'm willing to give it a try. The information you have given me has been very helpful.

eryndel

Explorer
Wonder if I'll get the last post? :D

Oh, and Edge is out of edit now and it's probably in layout or somewhere along the way. Soon.

Werner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads