• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scary monks! [3.5]

fba827

Adventurer
hong said:

Oh, and DR of N/adamantine too, yes. But there isn't much with DR like this except golems, IIRC.

stoneskin (3.5) too, I think... that spell sees a lot of use in our games.. though, that may just be us. :)

(course, I am saying stoneskin based on my weak and fraile memory so I could be wrong :) )

Ds Da Man

First Post
And maybe some people are just too wrapped up in only numbers and not flavor! Come on, of course you build a super-monk, and of course you can build a super-fighter. What difference does it make? If all your going for is combat, maybe you should play Diablo instead of D&D.

(we have had monks in our party, and they didn't lag behind anyone else in combat. Generally an enemy spellcaster would try and mind-fry the first big armor bearing fool coming at him. The same thing tried on the monk usually ended up with the monk squeaking out OK.)

Storminator

First Post
ForceUser said:
I beg to differ. Monks are groovy but they don't out-fighter the fighter.

<SNIP>

We use a lot of supplements in our game, so my monk is pretty tricked out. But I clocked the fighter/weaponmaster in a one-on-one last weekend. We did the arena bash just for fun, and it basically came down to who got more full round attacks. He had 50 more hp, and did more damage per hit, but I had more attacks and a better AC.

PS

ForceUser

Explorer
Storminator said:
We use a lot of supplements in our game, so my monk is pretty tricked out.
Oh sure, I'm not saying its impossible when you throw in a host of third party stuff. What I had hoped readers would infer from my post was that I felt that under core rules the average fighter has the edge in a straight-up fight over the average monk.

Haiwatta

Explorer
Angcuru said:
A monk with Bracers of armor will of course have a higher AC than a fighter of equal level, ...

Is a monk allowed to wear bracers of armor?
:confused:

From the SRD:

These items surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting an armor bonus of +1 to +8, just as though he or she were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

A monk may not wear armor, or he looses his special abilities.
Therefore I thought everything with a armor-descriptor isn't allowed...

Arjen

Voadam

Legend
Ds Da Man said:
And maybe some people are just too wrapped up in only numbers and not flavor! Come on, of course you build a super-monk, and of course you can build a super-fighter. What difference does it make? If all your going for is combat, maybe you should play Diablo instead of D&D.

Diablo D&D exists and hack and slash is a tried and true campaign mode that many enjoy (of course 2e Diablo D&D was a much better supplement than the 3e one).

mmu1

First Post
ForceUser said:
Oh sure, I'm not saying its impossible when you throw in a host of third party stuff. What I had hoped readers would infer from my post was that I felt that under core rules the average fighter has the edge in a straight-up fight over the average monk.

I could be wrong, since I didn't take the time to sit down and do the math, but both character don't look like they're even remotely close to having 49,000 gp worth of equipment, or the kind of stats they should be able to have.

You also fail to use the 3.5 tower shield appropriately, since it gives a -2 to hit... So you need to either adjust the fighter's to hit bonus, or change that to a Large Shield and reduce the AC by 2.

For that matter, since we are (apparently) using 3.5 rules, I'd also like to point out it makes no sense for the monk to use a +2 weapon, since they changed the DR rules, and that this comparison will change dramatically once they both hit 11th level, and the fighter gets an extra attack with a BAB of +1, and the monk an extra attack with a BAB of +8.

MarauderX

Explorer
rounser said:
Sundering....won't the monk get dirty looks from the other PCs if he or she keeps sundering potential loot?

The monk needs the Eagle Claw Attack to sunder items while unarmed. Besides, why sunder when you can disarm? Get Improved Disarm followed by Grappling Block (possibly disarms attackers that hit him, avoiding the damage AND disarming her). Then give the goodies to your buddies.

I am looking forward to the monk in our low-magic campaign, as he will be at 4th level and have better AC than the 5th level fighter. His BAB and HP are higher making him the center of the front lines. Meanwhile, I see the monk as a support character, and can be tricked out to do scouting and/or kill wizards in battle by tumbling with his high movement.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Haiwatta said:

Is a monk allowed to wear bracers of armor?
:confused:

From the SRD:

These items surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting an armor bonus of +1 to +8, just as though he or she were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

A monk may not wear armor, or he looses his special abilities.
Therefore I thought everything with a armor-descriptor isn't allowed...

Arjen

I'm pretty sure that monks can wear bracers of armor, although I can't really provide anything right now at work to back up that interpretation.

Not very helpful, I know. Sorry!

Darklone

Elven Ftr1/MonkX proved to be rather effective... was a decent archer and started with Weapon Finesse Unarmed. Dex 20 helps too. Sure, Con sucked, but life's not fair.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads