• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scary monks! [3.5]

Skaros

First Post
MarauderX said:

The monk needs the Eagle Claw Attack to sunder items while unarmed. Besides, why sunder when you can disarm? Get Improved Disarm followed by Grappling Block (possibly disarms attackers that hit him, avoiding the damage AND disarming her). Then give the goodies to your buddies.

Because monks aren't good at disarming. A big part of the equation for success in disarms is the relative size of weapons.

Monks unarmed attacks are considered small or maybe even tiny weapons...anyone remember?

Skaros

MarauderX

Explorer
Skaros said:

Because monks aren't good at disarming. A big part of the equation for success in disarms is the relative size of weapons.

Monks unarmed attacks are considered small or maybe even tiny weapons...anyone remember?

Skaros

Actually for Grappling Block, size isn't a factor. The attacker's hit roll (which is equal or above your AC) becomes the "DC" to disarm the attacker. So if someone just barely hits the monk, the monk has a better chance of disarming him.
After all size shouldn't matter for a monk, it's all about how you use it....

Skaros

First Post
MarauderX said:

Actually for Grappling Block, size isn't a factor. The attacker's hit roll (which is equal or above your AC) becomes the "DC" to disarm the attacker. So if someone just barely hits the monk, the monk has a better chance of disarming him.
After all size shouldn't matter for a monk, it's all about how you use it....

What supplement is it from? Sounds very powerful...not that my 8th level earth genasi monk wouldn't love the option.

Of course, he'd rather smash weapons than take them. His personality is somewhere betwen "religious asthetic" and "hulk smash".

Skaros

Hikaru

First Post
Skaros said:

Skaros

Sai are monk weapons. They are small weapons, but considered medium weapons for the sake of disarming.

MarauderX

Explorer
Skaros said:

What supplement is it from? Sounds very powerful...not that my 8th level earth genasi monk wouldn't love the option.

Of course, he'd rather smash weapons than take them. His personality is somewhere betwen "religious asthetic" and "hulk smash".

Skaros

It's from Oriental Adventures. You might want to go with the Eagle Claw Attack (allows you to sunder unarmed) that can also be found in OA.

What you should never forget: Fighters have a d10 for hit die, monk only a d8. This can hurt severely, especially the Monk is only good in hand to hand combat.
A Fighter has it easier to increase his armor bonus compared to the monk, and so the monk is hit more often and dies earlier from it.

This is actually the greatest weakness, I think. Our Monk in my Space Epxeriences Campaign is a deadly foe, but he is always low on hp, and sometimes I am surprisingly informed that the Monk is just at negative hp or worse...

frugal

First Post
* If you're not facing wizards as foes often, I'd rather have Improved Grapple instead of Stunning Fist. My GM is letting my monk make the switch, and the two of us justify it as such: my monk has NEVER made a successful Stunning Fist, but he has successfully grappled once, even with the Attacks of Opportunity.
True. If you are not facing mages don't use stunning fist. You might as well say that mage spells are poor because no one in their right mind would cast hold person on a Cleric.

You make low will opponents make will saves, weak opponents fortitude saves and slow opponents reflex saves.

My monk has saved the party on any number of occasions by simply using his speed and tumble to run straight though the opposition fighters and stunning fist the mage.

PS. If you have 3 attacks per round and you stun the mage, then make an improved graple because of the hit, what opposed grapple roll does the mage get to avoid being grappled. The mage has just lots his ability to act, so can he stop himself being grappled ?

Skaros

First Post
MarauderX said:

It's from Oriental Adventures. You might want to go with the Eagle Claw Attack (allows you to sunder unarmed) that can also be found in OA.

Thanks. Actually, I'm using eagle claw attack (after briefly borrowing my DM's OA book). Sunder, improved sunder, eagle claw, etc...plus a high strength.

I'm just looking for a BBEG with a huge sword so I can smash it :)

Skaros

Brekki

First Post
Numion said:

Yes they were. In our group the monks special move was known as Flurry of Misses :D
The monk in our group is the "Power Attack Indicator" :D

But the new monk seems to be powered up a bit which is a good thing. The 3.0 monks never seemed powerfull to me, they seemed to barely catch up with much use of oriental adventures feats and abilities.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads