• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scheduling Thread for the IRON DM 2020 Tournament!

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Ok, I've read the rules. I'm in if there are still places free. That said, this time of the year is a busy one for IT what with projects ending, new financial years, materiel inventories or (in my case) project ending with regulatory deadline.

What happens if I cannot meet certain deadline? Do I call in or just forfeit by inactivity?

Wicht

Hero
Ok, I've read the rules. I'm in if there are still places free. That said, this time of the year is a busy one for IT what with projects ending, new financial years, materiel inventories or (in my case) project ending with regulatory deadline.

What happens if I cannot meet certain deadline? Do I call in or just forfeit by inactivity?
What happens is up to you. Generally, in my opinion, the time limits provide enough flexibility for most people. The real difficulty is in mentally crafting the adventure, and that can be done anywhere. Actually physically writing it up can be fit in to most days here and there. Granted this may be more a reflection of how I work on writing projects and such - I form it in my head and then the actual typing, while providing opportunity for fine tuning, is the less taxing part of the task.

Iron DM is a time investment (on the judges end too), but in my experience it is worth it and is a fun activity to participate in. If you have any inclination of trying it, I encourage you to do so.

Rune

Once A Fool

If you miss a deadline, you should spend the time before the next threshold polishing your entry. The word-limit for your entry will have decreased and this will increase the challenge for you, but you’ve still got a chance!

We schedule matches around the contestants’ availability but the expectation is that you will find the time to write sometime within the window. For most, the actual writing part only takes two or three hours (and, for most, a lot of that is editing down the word-count).

Of course, even with our flexible method of scheduling, sometimes life happens, anyway. If you drop out of the first round before you get ingredients for a round 1 match, your spot can be taken by an alternate. Anything after that becomes messy for the tournament; there are no solutions that are completely fair to all contestants.

If you really don’t feel confident in your ability to commit the time to participate, you could choose to be an alternate, instead. This would not lessen your time-commitment if you enter the game, but it does give you more time to assess your availability. A word of caution, though: drop-outs are pretty rare; usually, being an alternate just means being a spectator.

To be clear: as of this posting, I have you signed up for the seventh (of eight) slots. If you’d rather be signed up as an alternate, we can do that.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
No, I believe I can fit it in whenever. But tonight 1-3am I am baby sitting first production deployment of a sensitive project. The later ones should be easier, but there is always some risk...as you said, life happens.

Remove ads