Scheduling Thread for the IRON DM 2020 Tournament!

Rune

Once A Fool
No. The last time I tried that, one of the contestants bailed. And I get it. It’s kind of a lot of energy and time to devote towards potentially losing twice in one tournament.

Plus, it’s one more match we’d have to organize, wait on, and then get three judgements on. In practice, it’s kind of a drain on momentum.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm definitely a proponent of the 3rd place match, but I can understand the various reasons why it would end up falling through

Rune

Once A Fool
If both @Gradine and @Wicht feel up to judging an extra round, and if both of the Round 2 contestants who do not advance want to participate in another match, we could run an exhibition match before the chsmpionship match (using the same rules). The winner of that exhibition match would be noted in the OP, so it would be a matter of record.

What I don’t want:

1. Anything that takes too much time to set up. Ideally, the Championship Match would begin while the other is still in progress.

2. Anything that resembles pressure on the contestants to participate. Speaking from experience, the sting of a loss can take some time to recover from and it can be difficult to reset yourself to immediately tap right back in. I’d rather not put that pressure to commit on anyone just coming out of a match.

On the other hand, I also understand the desire to push ahead and give it one more try after so long away. Now that you feel like you’ve shaken the rust off, you want to open up the throttle, or something like that? If both potential contestants really want one more bite of the apple, I’m open to it.

Wicht

Hero
On the question of a 3rd place match, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. If we do it that's fine with me. If the contestants can fit it in before the final match then sure, I guess.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I am not married to the idea and was just curious. But if the loser btwn Iron Sky and Fitz is willing so am I. If not, no biggie. I know time is a premium and people want to save their best stuff for IRON DM 2021! ;)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
In an odd way, I'm actually kind of relieved I lost since these take so much time away from family and sleep. That said, a third place round sounds fun. I'd be especially down for an old-school 1-hour version for the challenge! Cap us at 1 hour, cap judges at 1 hour to critique so it's fast for everyone?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm not opposed to that at all. I imagine finding a good 2- hour span for all of us might be a little tricky, but I'll do what I can on my end to make it work

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Oh! I didn't mean the judging had to be synchronous, just capped at 1 hour to keep judgments as snappy (and time-saving) as possible on your end. Trying to get all 5 of us synced would be a nightmare.

Remove ads