Scheduling Thread for the IRON DM 2020 Tournament!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm embarrassed that I messed up on my cut-and-paste. It's not a big deal, I suppose, which I why I'm a little annoyed at myself for the mistake. At least the whole thing is there!

Wicht

Hero
My final judgment is posted. We need to wait on Rune to finalize the judgments but I want to take a moment and thank all the participants this year (last year). Thanks!

I look forward to the next tournament. I'm kinda getting the itch to enter again as a contestant. :)

Rune

Once A Fool
Now that we’re already looking toward the next tourney, I’d like to get a head start on recruitment.

No, really! If anyone would like for me to give them a notification when the next tournament is recruiting later this year, just send me a private message to that effect. I’ll be happy to send you a heads up. Of course, you’ll have to make sure that you check EN Worlds regularly or have your email notification turned on in your settings.

Similarly, if anyone would like to be considered as a judge for future tournaments, I encourage you to send me a private message for that, too. Please include a link to any IRON DM Tournaments that you’ve participated in (the OP has links to all of the surviving EN World tournaments).

Finally, I believe @el-remmen mentioned in one of these threads that he is hoping to take on the task of archiving these tournaments off-site. Anyone who’d like to assist in that project should probably let him know.

I personally am interested in such a project and would like to hear more about it, although I don’t know if I actually have any usefully applicable skills.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
When do you think the next one will be? I'm not in a hurry - that was hard work, but I think I'd be ready again in much shorter than a year.
We usually aim to start recruiting around September (after the major conventions and before the major holidays). But, you know, sometimes life supersedes.

However, you should definitely read my post directly before this one.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
@Rune have you considered announcing dates for a future IRON DM tournament, like for example: Recruitment for IRON DM 2021 will begin Monday August 16 for a first round starting the week of September 20th.

Obviously, these specific dates would change - but it would allow for some anticipation, build up, reminder bumps of a thread, and for people to block out some days ahead of time on their calendars (or in the case of a returning champion, request a change of starting date).

Rune

Once A Fool
@Rune have you considered announcing dates for a future IRON DM tournament, like for example: Recruitment for IRON DM 2021 will begin Monday August 16 for a first round starting the week of September 20th.

Obviously, these specific dates would change - but it would allow for some anticipation, build up, reminder bumps of a thread, and for people to block out some days ahead of time on their calendars (or in the case of a returning champion, request a change of starting date).
I tend to shy away from setting things in stone so far in advance because it’s hard to know if schedules will be accommodating so far out. That’s okay for most; both contestant-rosters and even judge-rosters can be flexible.

But I much prefer a tournament with a defending champion, unless that is for some reason absolutely impossible. The way I figure it, they’ve earned that extra bit of accommodation.

Of course, I’m just one guy. I prefer to have these types of discussions with a multitude of judges. That was easier when the RBDM club was still a viable place for discussion. These days, we kind of have to settle for conversations with recently active judges.

As I said, I’m just one guy. I might not always be the one who kicks things off, anyway. It has tended to work out that way for most of this past decade, I guess, but that may just be habitual.

For instance, @Gradine did an excellent job of organizing and running point for the 2019 tourney (as far as I could tell from my outside perspective – especially impressive as it was also a debut as judge) as soon as I had bowed out to compete. @Wicht, @Radiating Gnome, and @Nifft have done likewise.

And @CleverNickName organized and MCed the 2010 (or 2009?) tournament without even being a judge, which must have been an extra challenge.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases