• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer for sci-fi?

• D20 Modern + D20 Future line

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • Sci-fi d20 (OGL Cybernet, Blood & Space, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Darwin World or other d20 Post Apocalyptic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Star Wars d20

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • D&D in space (Dragonstar, Bulldogs!, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • True20

• Mutants & Masterminds

• Traveller d20

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Traveller (classic / mega)

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • GURPS

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dream Pod 9

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 48 38.1%

Mr. Draco

First Post
I love, and have had great success with, d20 Modern/Future.

Note that this is with my own custom vehicle/equipment construction rules.

I do wish it came with better starship combat rules though...

jeff37923

First Post
d20 Traveller and Classic Traveller get the highest marks. Cyberpunk 2020, Cybergeneration, 2300AD, all the other versions of Traveller, and Mekton Zeta have all been very good to my science fiction gaming as well.

andrew_kenrick

Community Supporter
I'm a big fan of d20 Future. Really quite elegant and versatile, IMHO.

As for campaign type, that depends a great deal on my mood. The last two I've played in (a rarity, I admit) have been a Firefly game, using T20; and a Firefly-esque setting, using d20 Future. I do like epic, grim and gotic sci-fi in the vein of W40k or Fading Suns, and I'm brewing a campaign setting up at the moment in that style.

All in, I much prefer sci-fi gaming to fantasy ...

Nac_Mac_Feegle

First Post
I dont like D20 for sci-fi/modern I dont feel gun combat scales well with d20, gun combat should always be fast passed, and I dont feel the combat clunkiness of d20, which I love for melee, translates into gun combat very well at all.

I recently ran a d20 star wars, and 3 sessions in, we converted back to 2nd edition drom west end games

We also play Vampire the masquerade, Werewolf the apocalypse, shadowrun 2nd edition, Aliens (great game, great gm) and one guy wants my old judge dredd stuff for an idea, as he, like me, doesnt like the d20 judge dredd rules, purely because gun combat is a big thing, and the rules dont work well for guns

Feegle Out :cool:

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Nac_Mac_Feegle said:
I dont like D20 for sci-fi/modern I dont feel gun combat scales well with d20, gun combat should always be fast passed, and I dont feel the combat clunkiness of d20, which I love for melee, translates into gun combat very well at all.

The B5 D20 works well as characters get 1D6+2 or 3 at 1st and then a fixed 1-2 hp per level after that. Gun combat is deadly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads