• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer for sci-fi?

• D20 Modern + D20 Future line

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • Sci-fi d20 (OGL Cybernet, Blood & Space, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Darwin World or other d20 Post Apocalyptic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Star Wars d20

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • D&D in space (Dragonstar, Bulldogs!, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • True20

• Mutants & Masterminds

• Traveller d20

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Traveller (classic / mega)

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • GURPS

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dream Pod 9

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 48 38.1%

Ron

Explorer
I am a classic Traveller fan, although I would also play other games, such as Alternity. Unlike many of the posters, I don't feel that d20 do well in sci-fi games.

sjmiller

Explorer
With rare exceptions I use LBB Traveller (aka Classic Traveller). I've created Doctor Who games, Flash Gordon games, and assorted other SF games using Traveller as the core rules. The few times I have not used Traveller I've used GURPS.

Wombat

First Post
I have played in several sci fi campaigns in my life -- Star Trek, Star Wars, Traveller, Space: 1889, Space Opera, Blue Planet, varioius home made games. As such I can say that the system I prefer is ... it depends.

If I am playing a hard sci fi game, I want a set of rules that reflects that, probably pretty rules-intensive; if I am playing standard science fantasy (aka Star Wars), I want something much lighter and quicker. Heck, Star Wars plays well if you use Fudge or Over The Edge; hard sci fi would be crippled with such rules.

I am still looking for the "best" rules, even for the specific genres...

Dragonbait

Explorer
I've used SW d20 and the SW d6 system. I think in many cases, the d6 system works better for SW than the d20 system, but the d20 system works well enough. I've wanted to try some non-SW scifi, but the closest I got was playing Farscape with the SW d20 rules. I'm looking to this poll to see what system might be good for a possible non-SW scifi game in the future.

Allandaros

Explorer
Paranoia.

(Also Shadowrun, Alternity...but mainly Paranoia. I do have the first edition of the B5 RPG, but haven't tested it out yet...and I'm already obsolete :/ )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads