• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer for sci-fi?

• D20 Modern + D20 Future line

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • Sci-fi d20 (OGL Cybernet, Blood & Space, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Darwin World or other d20 Post Apocalyptic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Star Wars d20

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • D&D in space (Dragonstar, Bulldogs!, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • True20

• Mutants & Masterminds

• Traveller d20

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Traveller (classic / mega)

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • GURPS

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dream Pod 9

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 48 38.1%

I wish this was a multiple choice poll.

d20 Star Wars: It's what I'd run if I had my choice. I've got a lot of plot ideas I'd like to run, it's a setting that pretty much everybody knows so you don't have to spend a lot of time briefing the players on the intricacies of the setting (like a lot of sci-fi RPG's). The old d6 Star Wars was good (I ran a year long campaign of it), but it really, really doesn't work well for long-term campaigns as d6 breaks down horribly as characters advance.

d20 Babylon 5: It does a real good job capturing the feel of Babylon 5, and with the right group of players could be excellent.

d20 Modern+Future: I'm playing in an adaptation of Star Frontiers to d20 M+F right now, so It's what I'm now using, and I like d20 modern as an engine, but Star Frontiers isn't my ideal choice of setting (we're running through the old published modules, and dang, those modules were written poorly, and for a sci-fi/space opera type game, there is remarkably little space combat. My original character concept was for a starfighter pilot, until the GM told me that in all the pubilshed modules there was almost no ship-to-ship combat).

LUG Trek. I liked Last Unicorn's version of Star Trek, the best Star Trek RPG I've seen made (over FASA, Decipher, and the several versions of Prime Directive).

I voted for Star Wars, because that's what I'd run if I had to choose one, but it's a hard choice to make.

Frankly, I'm confused about the poll in conjunction with the OP. Are we talking about rules systems or settings? You seem to be conflating the two. (I appreciate that it can sometimes be difficult to parse them out.)

[indignant voice] And no Dawning Star option?! Not even in parens after the d20 Modern + d20 Future option? [/indignant voice]

As for my personal favorites (leaving DS out of it, of course), I'll put up The Morrow Project for setting and d20 Modern + d20 Future for ruleset.

dougmander

Explorer
I use D&D, because my sf games have a science-fantasy rather than a hard-science or space opera edge. I'm starting a new sf campaign tonight, actually!

riprock

First Post
Crothian said:
Space Opera was fine. All you need is an advanced degree in math and physics and you're set!!

And if you don't know that you like math, Classic Traveller is an excellent way to find out.

Seriously, when I first discovered Traveller, I thought that Marc Miller was a genius for inventing a new way of counting, so that 10 was called A and 15 was called F. I thought that was the most fun part of a very fun game.

One of the most surreal moments in my life was going to a normal computer class and having what I had thought was a purely fictional gaming convention taught to me all over again.

I found out it was called "hexadecimal" and Miller hadn't invented it.

Personally, my players and I ended up mixing a lot of Star Frontiers into Traveller when I ran it.

I ran d6 Star Wars briefly, but that's not space opera, it's cinematic action.

I ran as a player in other folks' Spacemaster and GURPS Space campaigns.

Turanil

First Post
Justin D. Jacobson said:
Frankly, I'm confused about the poll in conjunction with the OP. Are we talking about rules systems or settings? You seem to be conflating the two. (I appreciate that it can sometimes be difficult to parse them out.)

[indignant voice] And no Dawning Star option?! Not even in parens after the d20 Modern + d20 Future option? [/indignant voice]
Well, I could have made it clearer, but it's a poll about game systems. For me Dawning Star is a setting (using d20 M/F) so wouldn't apply to the poll. Of course, games like Fading Suns (not mentioned) or Star-Wars, are as much about a setting as they are about rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads