• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer for sci-fi?

• D20 Modern + D20 Future line

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • Sci-fi d20 (OGL Cybernet, Blood & Space, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Darwin World or other d20 Post Apocalyptic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Star Wars d20

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • D&D in space (Dragonstar, Bulldogs!, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • True20

• Mutants & Masterminds

• Traveller d20

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Traveller (classic / mega)

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • GURPS

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dream Pod 9

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 48 38.1%

Crothian

First Post
Devyn said:
2nd place after Spacemaster would be Traveller or Space Opera ... although SO did need alot of work to make it playable.

Space Opera was fine. All you need is an advanced degree in math and physics and you're set!! :lol:

Mycanid

First Post
What can I say? I'm an old-schooler who still really likes (and still prefers) the old Star Frontiers game before it was "starship-combaticized", and I really liked Gamma World too before it was "hyper-roboticized". I guess by this I mean that I really liked the idea, concept, etc., etc. behind the games but did not like where they were taken.

Note I am not talking about rulesets buy only idea/concept design and the like. In fact, I still post and visit other websites and forums dedicated to these two games.

More posts on sci-fi Turanil, eh? :) I said it elsewhere and I will say it again. It is nice to see you active in here again.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
I like both the ICON and CODA Star Trek RPGs (I managed to find a copy of the FASA RPG rules, and I picked them up, but I haven't had the opportunaity to actually do anything with them yet.)

Agent Oracle

First Post
Dragonstar. I know it's just D&D in space, but gosh darn it, it's well-done D&D in space. With a basic 3.0 / 3.5 conversion there's lots to enjoy.

It also helps if you kick players an extra skill or two for the optional base classes (like freefall, demolitions, or knowledge chemestry.)

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Count_Zero said:
I like both the ICON and CODA Star Trek RPGs (I managed to find a copy of the FASA RPG rules, and I picked them up, but I haven't had the opportunaity to actually do anything with them yet.)

Oh, yeah, LUG's ST:DS9 is another fave on my shelf...

Turanil

First Post
Mycanid said:
More posts on sci-fi Turanil, eh? :) I said it elsewhere and I will say it again. It is nice to see you active in here again.
Thanks for the kind words.

As to my original question, I got many d20 sci-fi games: my prefered is Traveller20, but mostly for Nostalgia reasons, as the rules are too cumbersome for my taste; second is the d20 Modern / Future line, adding third party stuff to it, but it's also too cumbersome to run for my taste (an I don't like the d20F starship combat system). Several times I have thought of converting those rulesets to a lite version based off Castles & Crusades, but I don't think many people would be interested in it... Now, for a rules-lite system of choice, it's Savage Worlds all they way, where I am concerned.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My favorite system of all time is HERO, followed closely in order by Mutants & Masterminds and D20.

However, I voted Classic/Mega Traveller. It was my second RPG, right after D&D, and I haven't seen anything that really captures a hard Sci-Fi feel & flavor quite the same way.

While it came out after Star Wars, it still feels more like Golden Age/Silver Age sci-fi stories by Niven, Bova, Clement, Clark, Heinlein, Asimov & others, as opposed to still later RPGs which have a bit more of a "space opera" feel. Only the defunct SPI's Universe seemed comperable, but that game & company folded long before there could be any kind of accretion of quality supplements.

Not that this is a negative commentary on other sci-fi RPGs. I LIKE Traveller D20, Prime Directive, and several others, and have run sci-fi campaigns in HERO...but Traveller is still the king for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads