Science: asteroid vs. hero physics

Janx

Hero
You're somewhat stuck with the distance. In effect, the first foot or so is lost figuring out where the shot is going to go and firing a counter. Every additional foot the bullet needs to travel gives you between 1 (if the shot is as slow as the bullet) and 40 feet (if the shot is at really high meteoric speed) your counter projectile launcher can be placed from the point of collision. The actual distance is in effect a ratio for the interceptor's velocity to the AR-15 bullet of 1,100 m/s.

Considering the amount of energy needed to launch the projectiles, why not simply magnetize the weapon? It won't fire if the hammer can't be pulled back.

Oh no, you've fallen under Umbran's influence and gone off script :)

I don't know if/how to magnetize the weapon (this hero is constrained to Mythbusters Plausible solutions, aka I saw a video or article on a piece of tech and assumed it can do more). I don't think the hero will get to touch the gun or he'd turn the safety on or something clever :) Also, the scene might end up looking like:
Hero walks past the gun turret, admiring the craftsmanship.
BBEG: you're too late, the countdown is nearly complete. Muah ah ah ah!
Hero: Yep.
Gun: 3..2..1..click.
BBEG: Drat! Curse you and your meddling kind!

Clearly, that's compelling drama right there, and the finest writing I've ever writ. :)

Now if there's a way to project magnetic force, I'm keenly interested in knowing more. One of the hardest things about my project is figuring out how to repurpose tech and science toward my setting. The hardest part of that is finding non-lethal FX that I can use to solve problems, because killing the bad guy is surprisingly easy.

Nagol

Unimportant
Oh no, you've fallen under Umbran's influence and gone off script :)

I don't know if/how to magnetize the weapon (this hero is constrained to Mythbusters Plausible solutions, aka I saw a video or article on a piece of tech and assumed it can do more). I don't think the hero will get to touch the gun or he'd turn the safety on or something clever :) Also, the scene might end up looking like:

Clearly, that's compelling drama right there, and the finest writing I've ever writ. :)

Now if there's a way to project magnetic force, I'm keenly interested in knowing more. One of the hardest things about my project is figuring out how to repurpose tech and science toward my setting. The hardest part of that is finding non-lethal FX that I can use to solve problems, because killing the bad guy is surprisingly easy.

You invited off-script. Though I'll keep providing on-script replies too.
Killing the bad guy typically requires less energy and considerably less finesse.

The power required to accelerate the rail gun / mass driver projectile is stupendous. The magnetic field it needs to get the insane acceleration needed requires that. One thing a powerful changing magnetic field does is establish eddy currents in nearby conductors like metallic objects. Those currents create a reversed magnetic field which, considering the strength of the original field, will probably stop the mechanism assuming the rifle just doesn't get too hot to hold. Radio/microwave EMF also cause eddy currents in metals though an emission strong enough to lock up the gun would probably cook the person holding it.

Another completely off the wall tactic might be to create a short-lived impermeable plasma. Impermeable plasma acts like a impenetrable solid with respect to gas. I have seen "claims" that that impermeability would extend to solids though I've never seen any serious literature to support that. Even if it only extends to gas, it would be a great tactic to handle an explosion which is a pressure wave though gas.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Unbeknownst to the hero or the villian, Chuck Norris levelled a steely glare at the gun from across the plaza. It just about melted...

More seriously:
The villain and his gun are on top of a building under construction, shooting across the street (and down) into a baseball stadium?

Janx

Hero
Unbeknownst to the hero or the villian, Chuck Norris levelled a steely glare at the gun from across the plaza. It just about melted...

More seriously:
The villain and his gun are on top of a building under construction, shooting across the street (and down) into a baseball stadium?

mostly, across. We could see the building situation from the upper deck of the actual stadium, thus inspiring the original situation.

Ultimately, unless some cool and dramatic alternative idea pops out, like Umbran says, I'll likely go with the original plan, but tighten the parameters so its closer to plausible.

Discussing it with physics minded people tells me about future tech ideas like a plasma shield or heating something up. And it confirms the physics/tech defying aspects (like rapid fire rail gun isn't here yet). It's not a bad idea to know the aspects that might work, and the aspects that are total BS :)

And y'all are going in the Acknowledgements when I get that far and hopefully get a book deal.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
And y'all are going in the Acknowledgements when I get that far and hopefully get a book deal.
I'm going to take that as a plural 'you', because I haven't contributed that much analysis to the discussion.

Thank you.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
But it's not really, is it? It's about a preferred coordinate system for measurement -- the angle is the same referenced to the same vectors in either frame. Only if you add the asteroid's solar speed and Earth's solar speed when you change to Earth's frame does the apparent vector of the asteroid's momentum change, but the push is still in the same direction with regards to the asteroid. Measuring that push from a new vector is changing the coordinate system, not the observer frame. I brought up the difference between an observer frame shift and a coordinate shift long ago. The car example, for instance, deals only with an observer frame shift, not a coordinate shift. You're doing both now with the asteroid and claiming it's analogous -- it's not.

Shifting the asteroid's velocity (not speed) by the earth's velocity (both measured in the solar frame) is the mathematical representation of switching to the earth's frame. That's what changing frames means. If someone taught you otherwise, they did you a disservice. The little formula I wrote down uses the angle between the asteroid's initial momentum and the change in momentum it experiences when Pierce hits it. I have said all along that I have applied that in the earth frame. You therefore can't just apply my argument in the solar frame without adjustment.

This is exactly the problem you've been having with the car and the wind. The velocity of object B as measured in object A's rest frame is by definition the velocity of B relative to A. In a "lab frame" this relative velocity is vB-vA (subtraction done vectorially), and that's vB as measured in A's rest frame. I don't know how to make this clearer given how much we've discussed it already. If you can't understand or accept this fact, I don't see much point in continuing. I'll answer the rest below, but this is a key point.

Yes, but it's also impossible to cause a miss by pushing in that same direction in the Solar frame. No one's arguing that there are bad angles of push. Why this is a sticking point, I'm not sure.

As you pointed out all the way back in post 14 of this thread, in the solar frame, the asteroid is aiming where the earth will be, and the earth is moving. Therefore, you can slow the asteroid down without changing its direction and still get it to miss the earth without changing its direction. In the solar rest frame, not the earth's rest frame. Are you changing your mind on this? Because you were right then. The only problem then was that you insisted that the earth frame is invalid.

Um, yes? I wasn't confused about that once I realized my error in radians vs degrees.
Right, and, as I've said before, I'm not just writing for you but for other readers who maybe aren't quite as familiar with the math.

I understand that. I've challenged that it doesn't work except in the head-on case because Earth is off-center and it might not generate a miss depending on approach path. You acknowledge this in point 3, and offer a solution of not measuring from the path of the asteroid, which is what I've been saying.
I'm glad you understand. However, you've clearly misunderstood my point 3. I'll address that below.

Yeah, your formula doesn't create a miss in some geometries (it can fail in minimum dp cases for all but the head-on case, frex). I'm definitely not confused that the objective is to cause a miss. Explaining that to me is rather condescending. Yes, I made a few blunders because I haven't dusted off my trig outside of narrow applications for about a decade, but I've picked up everything you've laid down and caught a number of my own errors on doublecheck. I'm an electrical engineer by trade, so, yeah, I may be rusty but I don't need to be explained to that we're trying to get an asteroid to miss the Earth at this point.

The head-on, path through the center of the earth case actually requires a greater deflection angle and therefore harder push dp than most other cases.

As for the explanation, I'm sorry you found it condescending since that wasn't the intent. I was trying to be methodical and clear about why I am choosing to apply the results of point 1 in the earth frame. You haven't responded to that part. In any case, you clearly have a fine grasp of the math and basic physical laws. I just want to straighten out some confusion on working in reference frames.

But, if we're talking about tone of posts, please go back and look at yours, particularly post 27 in the thread where you called my prior post "not even wrong." I am well aware of the origin of the quote and its less than complimentary use in physics discussions.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'equatorial plane.' I'm going to assume you mean the 'East-West' in the non-rotated coordinate scheme (where Earth's movement relative to the Sun is 'up'), yeah? Okay, I'll buy that for the exact reason that it's the same plane as the Solar frame case under discussion, so I know that works. But, point in fact, this means that you're now agreeing with me that the optimum deflection angle is NOT from the perpendicular of the asteroid's path with sin(x)=dp/p, but instead from a different reference (excepting the head-on case)? Hallelujah! I'm confused, though, that you started this point with a refutation of this.
No, I am not agreeing with you at all. Once again, in the solar frame, you can get the asteroid to miss just by slowing it down, so deflection angle isn't the only thing to consider there. Let me explain what I said in my third point:
a) First off, I am now working exclusively in the earth's reference frame, so everything is measured relative to the earth.
b) I defined the equatorial plane as the plane through the center of the asteroid perpendicular to its velocity vector (see my point 1). If we break dp up into its components, it has one component along the asteroid's velocity and another component in the equatorial plane. The magnitude of the asteroid's deflection angle --- we called this angle a --- is unaffected by the orientation of that second component (all that matters are the magnitudes of the components), but which direction that deflection goes in does depend on the orientation of the component in the equatorial plane.
c) If our hero can intercept (and push) the asteroid at a certain time before collision with the earth, she has to deflect it by a minimal angle, which we have called m. To determine this angle, we draw a line tangent to the earth through the point where she intercepts the asteroid. The required minimal deflection angle is the angle between that tangent line and the asteroid's original path. The tangent line is a grazing trajectory where the asteroid just skims the top of the earth (or the atmosphere, however you like). Actually, there is a whole family of such tangent lines, but typically one will require a smaller deflection angle than the others. So the push should then be oriented properly in the asteroid's equatorial plane to take advantage of the smallest required deflection angle.
d) Note that the earlier Pierce can intercept the asteroid, the smaller the minimal required deflection angle will be, which I think we all agree on already.

I'm not going to reproduce your example and go through the whole argument, since it doesn't get to what I want to explain and what you seem to be confused about. In fact, you seem to be confusing what we've been calling angle x (the angle of the push relative to the asteroid's equatorial plane and which is equal to arcsin(dp/p) if we want to maximize deflection angle a given a fixed magnitude dp) with the minimal required deflection angle m. I will instead draw everything that I am talking about:
asteroid.png

The earth is the big hollow circle. The filled one is the asteroid at the point where Pierce intercepts it. The black line is the asteroid's initial trajectory, and it's continuation through the earth is dotted. The green lines are tangents to the earth, indicating the minimal deflection needed to miss the earth (realistically, Pierce should give some leeway because we're ignoring the earth's gravity, etc). The solid one is the one with the smallest deflection angle, which is labeled m. The dashed one is another tangent which will cause the asteroid to miss but requires more deflection. I've labeled dp as a red vector hitting the asteroid along with angle x. On the other side of the asteroid is a red dashed vector indicating a push that could get the asteroid to deflect along the dashed green trajectory. None of this has numbers worked out, and it's not to scale, since that's not the point. But we know from previous work that the minimum push Pierce has to exert has dp/p = sin(m) oriented such that sin(x)=dp/p, or x=m. Please note that I very specifically did not use a head-on collision with the asteroid going through the center of the earth. Please also be forgiving if not all the tangents are precisely tangent, etc, since I did this in a hurry.

OK, last thing. I haven't wanted to use the "appeal to authority" fallacy because it's, well, a fallacy, but I would just like to ask you to consider that I know what I'm talking about even if you still find this confusing. As you may know from upthread or other EN World discussions, I am a physicist professionally. Not only that, I have taught a course on relativity, including a large section on changing reference frames in Newtonian mechanics every academic year for the past 7 years. So I hope that clears things up. I am going to try to get myself to stay out of this thread, since I can't really take credit for this at work.

Janx

Hero
A couple months ago, the anthology featuring my story came out. I'm told my story was pretty good.

Thanks to everybody who discussed the topic with me (and went above and beyond with math and diagrams). I probably didn't choose a physics-correct solution in the story, but at least I know it :)

Janx

Hero
Congrats on being published, and praised. Best wishes for your sales (and income).

Alas, this was for the local writers guild, so pro bono. Though the praise reminded me "I knew I should have tried to sell it..."

As a side note, most short stories for profit are sold for $.03-$.08/word for First Rights, meaning they have to be the first to publish it, usually holding that for a year or so. After that, I could find a market willing to take published stories. Those are rarer. So one has to be careful in giving away content because it restricts your opportunities.

I've found an opportunity that opens in January for "recovering" post-apocalyptic, which this story might qualify, but they want a disabled protagonist (where the disability hinders in the story). And they take pre-published stuff. I don't quite want to retool this story, so I've got something else in the works.

Remove ads