Science Fiction: Greatest TV Shows Part III

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I don't have much to add here, but curious to ask, as I think it fits the criteria in the OP- any love for Alien Nation?
I always felt like Alien Nation (The film) was just an interesting twist on the drunk divorced almost fired detective who manages to save the day genre.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I always felt like Alien Nation (The film) was just an interesting twist on the drunk divorced almost fired detective who manages to save the day genre.
Sure. How about the TV series, which did get one complete season before being cancelled, as well as five TV movies to continue the story?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Looking over the rules again, is Dark Angel eligible? (It didn't get re-upped for season 3, but did have a finale episode).

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I don't have much to add here, but curious to ask, as I think it fits the criteria in the OP- any love for Alien Nation?

Looking over the rules again, is Dark Angel eligible? (It didn't get re-upped for season 3, but did have a finale episode).

Both would be eligible-
1- Lasted a full season.
2- In English.
3- Drama.
4- THERE IS NO 4!
5- N/A
6- N/A
7- N/A
8- THERE ARE NO MULTIPLES OF 4! Private jokes are the best jokes.
9- N/A
10- Not animated.
11- Definitely Sci-fi.

So yeah, both Alien Nation and Dark Angel would be eligible. I think that they would be a tough sell ... if this was a list created in 1991 or 2003, they might have been on the list of top 10, maybe.

But the sheer number of great shows both before those shows, and more importantly, the number of shows getting pumped out since then means that I find it hard to believe that many people would put them on the list.

Heck, since I posted the list last year, The Expanse became eligible.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Very true. Just like "Resident Alien" is essentially just a take on the weird small town genre, typified by shows like "Northern Exposure."

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So yeah, both Alien Nation and Dark Angel would be eligible. I think that they would be a tough sell ... if this was a list created in 1991 or 2003, they might have been on the list of top 10, maybe.

But the sheer number of great shows both before those shows, and more importantly, the number of shows getting pumped out since then means that I find it hard to believe that many people would put them on the list.

The wonder of not having cable is I haven't seen a ton of the newer ones...

In any case, I'm not sure I'd call Dark Angel great television or great science fiction -- but I thought it had a cast that worked really well together and were fun to watch (part of the show focusing on Max, and part being like an ensemble cast). Is being a "comfort show" (like "comfort food") a thing?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
The wonder of not having cable is I haven't seen a ton of the newer ones...

In any case, I'm not sure I'd call Dark Angel great television or great science fiction -- but I thought it had a cast that worked really well together and were fun to watch (part of the show focusing on Max, and part being like an ensemble cast). Is being a "comfort show" (like "comfort food") a thing?

Certainly! There is nothing wrong with comfort.

In my long backlog of posts that I haven't written, I was going to do something based on the "Unreturned Netflix DVD," which, back when Netflix was primarily known as a service that provided you three mail-order DVDs, was that one DVD.

We all had it. We'd order three DVDs. Two would be something fun, or comforting, or part of a TV series we were watching. And one was the "serious" film that was on our "to-do" list.

And we'd get through the two DVDs, and return them, and ... just not watch the third. We'd keep cycling through the first two DVDs, while the Unreturned Netflix DVD would just sit there- Alphaville, or the Death of Mr. Lazerescu, or whatever. Because sometimes we want fun, not homework. ;)

Anyway, I'm currently watching, in addition to my serious shows, Santa Clarita Diet and Young Justice ... which is why I have this post right now-

But yeah, go Comfort TV!

Remove ads