Score!!!

I decided on a whim to visit a new game store in town yesterday and saw that they had a shelf of used books. Perusing the shelf, I came across a spine that said "Deities & Demigods". You can imagine what my next thought was. Having been burned in the past, I nonetheless flipped it open just to check.

Oh yeah. It's got Cthulhu. It's got Arioch. :]

The owner wanted $50 for it. I hemmed and hawed and finally said, "Sorry, I just can't spend that much. My girlfriend will kill me if I buy a book I'll never use." I was mildly heartbroken, but was willing to live with it.

So I go home that night and I'm talking to my girlfriend about my day. I mention that I went to this new game store, and saw the above-mentioned book. I tell her all about the contraband mythoi contained inside and how it's really rare and I've had my eye out for one for years blah blah blah but it's fifty bucks. She goes "You should totally buy it."

I was floored. Do I have the coolest friggin' girlfriend ever or what? I really need to give her more credit. She knows how to love a nerd.

So I went down there today and scooped it up. I love it. I plan on showing it off to all my gaming buddies, as long as they promise to not ruin the cover with their drool.

Incidentally, let me send a shout out to Gary, the owner at Black Diamond Games in Walnut Creek, CA. It's a new store and very nicely put together. He and his staff were super friendly. I may be switching FLGS's now.

(BTW, the fellow who was working there when I bought it said that it's probably from Gary's private collection. Gary: It's going to a good home.)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Good catch (both the gf and the book!) I paid 10 dollars for mine and the original Vault of the Drow module. The guy had no idea what he had. That was 18 years ago, and it's STILL in mint condition!

Sleepy Voiced

First Post
Congratulations on your score! I had almost the exact same situation about 5 years ago. I saw it at the Source in St. Paul for $50, I knew my wife (very recently married at the time) would not be happy if I spent that much on a used D&D book. I went home, told her about it and she said "Go get it. Right now." No wonder we're still together. Hold on to that one, TW.

Temprus

First Post
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
She goes "You should totally buy it."

Be thankful it was still there, I lost out on one because I was short $5 and it sold like 5 minutes after I walked out to try and get the $5. Strange thing is that I had 4 near mint copies a year later thanks to buying up lots of 1st ed book sets at swap meets.

Remember kiddies, Swap Meets are your friend!

IamTheTest

First Post
Only a slight hijack...I bought my girlfriend her first set of dice. Now she's wicked excited to play tomorrow. Good girlfriends are the best. Great Find.

Remove ads