• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scout climb speed

VonRichthofen

First Post
Hello everybody,

As many of you will have noted, there's a great new way of finally making the ranger a viable moving combatant by taking 3 levels of scout plus the Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish feats. (For up to 5d6/5 AC skirmishing, or 7d6/7 AC when moving 20+ ft.)

Now my question:
PHB II allows for the scout to give up his fast movement to gain a climb speed equal to 1/2 base land movement rate.
In a scout 3/ranger 17 build, would you rather take the +10 ft. base landspeed increase or the climb speed with its' associated advantages?
(Including the fact that you'd want great speed most of the time, yet get some nice climb bonuses and might even get to skirmish in a tight tunnel with the alternative class feature?)

Thanx

VR

Darklone

Epic... hmm. I'd take the climb speed (to have another option) and look to increase my movement speed with another trick.

Darklone

Sorry. Imp Skirmish is an Epic Feat. For Epic games, I wouldn't have expected something like a Climb Speed to be interesting ;)

VonRichthofen

First Post
Darklone said:
Sorry. Imp Skirmish is an Epic Feat. For Epic games, I wouldn't have expected something like a Climb Speed to be interesting ;)

No.

You could have seen it, since no ECL 0/level 20 build gets Epic feats.

It's perfectly legal, but I have told you so on the other thread... ;)

VonRichthofen

First Post
Darklone said:
Yupp, in the meantime I noticed :D

Still a question: Have you ever used Climb in games with level 20 chars?

No.

Since I posted "scout 3/ranger 17", the question is rather: Get it at 3rd level, use it at 5th, 10th, 15th? The games I have played tended to become unplayable around level 20.

Apart from that, the point was less one of Climb bonus but one of the ability to climb up a wall in a tight dungeon and still do skirmishing damage in that particular round.

boolean

Explorer
I'd take the climb speed.

The fast movement is an enhancement bonus, so it doesn't stack with the most common speed boosts anyway. (e.g. haste, boots of springing/striding, longstrider)

Remove ads