• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Season 8 will switch to the Organized Play rules presented in XGTE

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am not sure what it is intended to incent.

From the book, "A character played for 10 hours reaches the same number of checkpoints, whether the character went up against a dragon or spent all that time lurking in a pub."
It incentivizes showing up and socializing, which is what they are trying to encourage with the AL.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Nagol

Unimportant
No, that would be incented by 1 checkpoint per hour of table play. 1 checkpoint per hour of expected play incents completing quickly.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, that would be incented by 1 checkpoint per hour of table play. 1 checkpoint per hour of expected play incents completing quickly.
Sure, it makes the focus on getting through an adventure, without any other goal to optimize: which seems to be deemphasizing the value of optimization and encouraging participation.

Nagol

Unimportant
Sure, it makes the focus on getting through an adventure, without any other goal to optimize: which seems to be deemphasizing the value of optimization and encouraging participation.

I see it as emphasizing optimization (what you are optimizing the character to do changes somewhat -> drop enemies as quickly s possible and take as few rests as possible) as well as incenting "Do we really need to do..." thinking. "We're here to stop the evil cleric. Do we really need to rescue the princess too? That sounds like it could take a fair bit of time. Let's just stop the evil cleric. I'm sure the rest will work itself out." or "Gee, the secret door seems to have a connection to a series of natural caves. Do we really need to find out where is goes and what it contains? Let's just get the job done."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I see it as emphasizing optimization (what you are optimizing the character to do changes somewhat -> drop enemies as quickly s possible and take as few rests as possible) as well as incenting "Do we really need to do..." thinking. "We're here to stop the evil cleric. Do we really need to rescue the princess too? That sounds like it could take a fair bit of time. Let's just stop the evil cleric. I'm sure the rest will work itself out." or "Gee, the secret door seems to have a connection to a series of natural caves. Do we really need to find out where is goes and what it contains? Let's just get the job done."
Only a problem if the adventure design doesn't funnel lay along well. And honestly, just not how people are going to lay in practice.

Nagol

Unimportant
Only a problem if the adventure design doesn't funnel lay along well. And honestly, just not how people are going to lay in practice.

Whatever is incented, affects play style and common play style affects adventure design. I still don't see why you think the checkpoint system as described incents showing up and socializing though compared to milestone or xp award. Can you elaborate?

darjr

I crit!
It is one checkpoint per hour of play up to a max set by the adventure and your tier compared to the adventures tier. It also looks like you won’t be able to speed run adventures either. I’m not sure how they will prevent speed runs.

darjr

I crit!
So does milestone leveling. So does xp granted as a quest reward. If the checkpoint award is as described above "1 checkpoint for each hour an adventure is designed to last" then assigning milestones or xp would accomplish the same thing since all should get assigned at the end of the adventure (conceptually at least). Now, if the award is 1 checkpoint per hour of table play I see a clear difference.

Yea milestone leveling does. But it bumps levels directly and at the end of specific events or chapters. XP is given out for specific things. If you don’t do those you get no xp. The benefit is it’s portable between adventures and can be accumulated in HC or mods.

Checkpoints, one earned every hour, limited by the adventures expected runtime, are portable and reward players whatever they do. So you could do anything and earn your checkpoints.

Nagol

Unimportant
Yea milestone leveling does. But it bumps levels directly and at the end of specific events or chapters. XP is given out for specific things. If you don’t do those you get no xp. The benefit is it’s portable between adventures and can be accumulated in HC or mods.

Checkpoints, one earned every hour, limited by the adventures expected runtime, are portable and reward players whatever they do. So you could do anything and earn your checkpoints.

Hmm, I would have thought the checkpoints would be awarded at the end of the adventure. Otherwise finishing quickly and/or "punching up" a tier becomes problematic. If they are awarded hourly then the incentive isn't to try to finish quickly. It incents getting your feet wet, but taking no substantial risk.

darjr

I crit!
I think that’s a side effect yes. Also this advancement seems faster than xp. I wonder how the transition will work? Will a checkpoint be worth a certain amount of xp?

Remove ads