• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

seasong's Light Against The Dark (FEB 06)

seasong

First Post
incognito: Thank you! I'm not going to be posting the PC stats just yet; I need to get the web site up first, so people can see the house rules, and I also want the party to get accustomed to each other without convenient rule summaries :).

Greybar: I'm working on it. I've got too many irons in the fire :).

incognito

First Post
Is it too early to start whining about posting an update ;)

See what happens when you begin a story hour? they gain momentum and BOOM! You aleady have fanboys.

seasong

First Post
I'm going to try to put up Athan's Duty sometime this afternoon or evening, or tomorrow morning at the latest. Greppa's Ambition will be up sometime this weekend. I should also have the website marginally ready for its public by then (fingers crossed).

I usually run a bit of a Prologue for any new team, to get them accustomed to each other and establish some bonds with each other. I'll probably summarize that here in 1-2 posts, before getting to Chapter One: Mountain's Thunder.

Chapter One, incidentally, is when the Bad Things start ;).

incognito

First Post
Chapter 1

Chapter One, incidentally, is when the Bad Things start .

Heh, isn't it always. As a side note, I like the way you have structured the world such that low level PCs have to stay near town, because the wilderness is geninely dangerous, and would/might shred them.

Low death rate world for PCs, I expect.

seasong

First Post
I encourage players to invest a fair amount of emotion in their PCs, and part of that is keeping death meaningful, and life precious.

On the other hand, the low-level PCs won't be staying near town...

:eek:

seasong

First Post
PROLOGUE
Athan's Duty

At this point, the characters do not know each other. I will be giving each one an introductory space, before starting on the campaign.

The morning began as any other. Athan split wood for an hour, milked goats, checked for frost on the vines, then settled in for breakfast with his family. Everyone laughed a little more than usual, and the effort was plain, but morning, at least, would be normal.

Not that military duty was unusual. Everyone older than Athan in the family had done it, and this year was unlikely to even be particularly dangerous. But Athan had informed his mother and father last night of his intent to go career, and his mother had strongly, loudly, passionately disapproved.

So now there was some tension.

Athan's mother was a big-boned, muscular woman, a wolver and servant of Atmos. She did not approve of too much society or too much militant order, and "too much" wasn't much, in her opinion.

After breakfast cleared, Athan began to pack while the other kids worked on house chores, and winced as he felt his mother's presence behind him.

"It's always your choice, Athan..." she began, an impatient buzz to her voice.

He interrupted, somewhat angrily, "But my choice is the wrong one, right? I know what I'm good at, Mom, and I know what I want to do!"

Louder, she yelled, "I just don't think you should commit to such a drastic choice at your age! Give it some time! Could you even try to..."

The argument went on, while everyone else in the house politely ignored it. Athan's younger brother (of three boys, Athan being the middle) silently resolved to never, ever, ever tell their mother his plans until they were already in motion. Athan had always been too honest, too forward, for his own good.

Quickly enough, however, morning ended, and Athan had finished fighting, packing and saying goodbye to his family. He stepped out into a brisk noon day, and hiked down the road from his family's Little Lake farm to the local military outpost.

Shortly thereafter, he was registered, and he and the four other fifteen year olds were sent north, to Theralis. Athan smiled as his feet hit the first few yards of road... he was off to meet his destiny!

seasong

First Post
We'll be finishing all of the prologue stuff this weekend. Hopefully I will also get to get started on Chapter One.

Average 1 1/2 sessions, 2 as of this weekend.

I'm already falling behind :).

Remove ads