seasong's Light Against The Dark (FEB 06)

seasong

First Post
Intermission: Athan

Dread does not quite begin to describe what Athan was feeling when he returned home. He knew his mother would be happy for his new choice in life paths, but...

He'd failed. He'd been captured and enslaved and treated like a favored pet for most of a year. But worse, he'd started to like it. He was more fluent in orc than either of his friends, had spent much of his enslavement chatting with the warriors among his captors. Life would have been good if he'd been born an orc. Simple. Duty to tribe, debt to givers, joy in hunting.

But he wasn't, and orcs were the enemy, and they'd beaten him and made him accept the defeat.

Worse, they'd shown him that he was wrong about something, that he didn't want to be career military, and now he was going to have to eat crow for his mother over it.

His feet slowed on the road south as Little Lake came into view. It was little more than a dammed stopgap in the river, a few hundred people, no more, all crammed around the edge of the water in small, intimate vineyards and ponds. Little Lake was theoretically a fishing community, but like most places in Theralis they spent more of their time making (and imbibing) wine than anything else. It was a beautiful little place.

When he stepped through the front door, most of his family was seated at the hearth, supping at broth. Both brothers, his older sister, father, and crazy aunt, all looking up to see who was walking into their house. A startled pause, then his father stepped across the room and hugged him, pounding him hard on the back.

"Damn, but we've missed you! How's military life?"

In his head, Athan was strangling himself. They didn't know. He had to tell them... more than just his change of career. Rather than answer immediately, he shifted topics, "Where's Mom?"

"Oh, out and about, west I believe. Said she felt something in the air, wanted blood in her teeth before she faced it. She should be back by nightfall."

"Oh, I had something to tell her. I.. is there any broth left? I'm starved."

Laughter greeted him - Athan was known for his eating - and rough topics were happily shelved until Mom arrived. When she did, however, silence filled the room. She saw Athan, and shifted into human form*, "Well, do I get a proper greeting, or are you in a rush to get back to Service?"

* Note that Athan's mother is a wolver, a short human subrace that can shift into wolf form. This was mentioned a while back.

"I...", Athan bit back angry bile, and as seconds counted by and his fists clenched, rejected at least seven or eight retorts. He finally bit out the hard, first part, "Mom, I'm not in the military now."

"And now you're.. what?" Her eyes were surprised, and faint hope danced in them, before she concealed it with a more appropriate mother's concern, "What happened?"

"At Eastpass, I was captured by orcs. I only... escaped recently. And... "

"And you're going back?" Her voice was soft.

"No. I'm not. I mean, I'm leaving again, but I'm not going back to Service. I'm not.. cut out for it." He couldn't look at her, and his face was hot.

It was his father that cut the brief silence, with a chuckle. "Son, I knew when you left you wouldn't stick to the military. You've spent your whole life chafing at authority, whether it was us or some jumped-up city council member offering to buy our vineyard. I just didn't want to say anything, lest you do it just to spite me."

Athan's ears burned worse, but he plunged on, "I, there's more to it that just that. I have some friends. We were all captured together, and we were slaves for most of a year. When we left, there were a lot of loose ends. Greppa's mentor was also captured, and he wants to look for him, and I want to help. And... a lot of the other slaves were killed. I want to find the orcs that did it."

Athan's voice trailed off, and his mother stepped in to hug him. They stood there, briefly, and then they sat down around the hearth while Athan told the whole story.

Afterwards, there was little left inside him. He still had dangerous journeys ahead of him, but his mother approved of his decisions, and his family still loved him. The family filled him in on their news, as well. His older brother was marrying a north valley girl, and was going to move in with her considerably richer family. His older sister was joining his mother in patrolling the wilderness, and his younger brother was going into his year of Service...

Athan spent a few days with his family, but left before he and his mother could get over the bliss of reunion and into the fights of old. His step was considerably lighter, despite the bad news he'd brought, and the world seemed just a bit brighter.

One thing stuck with him: a conversation with his father about the orcs.

"Son, the best thing to know about the orcs is this - they're people. Sure, they're our enemy today, but they're still people. We're they're enemy, and we're still people, right? If you have to kill them to protect you and yours, that's one thing, but don't get caught up in hating orcs - if anything, admire them. They live a hard life, and do better at it than some people do at a simple life like ours."

Yes, definitely a bit brighter.

incognito

First Post
Lest anyone be fooled by this new ruse:

Seasong is actually Athan's father...this story hour is also semi auto-biographical

:D

Good update. Meanwhile, when did Athan's parent's get to be so cool? If more kids had parent's like these, then no one would want to leave home.

An unbigoted father? A mom that doesn't hold a grudge? I'd liek an upgrade, please!

A question - will be get to see more of Athan's little brother? Maybe some brotherly battle action!

seasong

First Post
incognito said:
Lest anyone be fooled by this new ruse:

Seasong is actually Athan's father...this story hour is also semi auto-biographical
Thank you, I got a good laugh out of that one.

"Athan... I am your father!"
"Nooooo!"
"Join me, and together we will rule Theralis!"
Good update. Meanwhile, when did Athan's parent's get to be so cool? If more kids had parent's like these, then no one would want to leave home.

An unbigoted father? A mom that doesn't hold a grudge? I'd liek an upgrade, please!
His mom's getting her way. Of course she's happy right now - he's doing exactly what she wants. Go back and read round one of their discussion, when she's not getting her way. The dad is pretty cool, though. And I don't require angst in every relationship ;).
A question - will be get to see more of Athan's little brother? Maybe some brotherly battle action!
Heh, then it would be autobiographical. My brother and I can't be within a mile of each other for more than a few hours without smacktalk.

The little brother may figure into something in the future. He gets some attention in the intro, after all, that makes one wonder what plans he's not telling his mother about... ;)

seasong

First Post
J. Anson said:
Bring it on, old man.

(sorry, it's in the contract - gotta take these easy shots)
By easy, of course, he means taking shots when he's halfway across the country. Just thought I'd clarify.

Back on topic, it doesn't look like I'll get Merideth's post up until tomorrow. As a special extra, I'll also be putting up some Olgah backstory. My players have already seen most of it, but I wanted to share.

seasong

First Post
Oh, what the heck. I'll post the teaser today...

Olgah's Tale

Spring
20 Years Ago

Ugreht was a minor woman of the Bunahken tribe, clever but lazy, and too often she gambled until she lost. She was not well respected, especially this year. She had promised a year of service to Agahken if she lost, and she had lost. Agahken was not cruel nor kind for an orc, but he wrung as much out of the service as he could. She had escaped much of what he might have asked by seducing him... and now she was pushing his baby out of her belly, too clever for her own good.

Ugreht grunted once, as a flash of pain shot caught her by surprise, but was otherwise silent through the ordeal. The orcwife who watched over her grunted in return - Ugreht might be lazy in life and weak in gambling, but she was stronger than many mothers during birthing, and the orcwife approved.

Then, suddenly, the child was out. The orcwife and mother looked at the child, redfaced but breathing, and Ugreht's motherly instincts failed to kick in.

"Take it away. I would not look upon its father's face."

Such things were sometimes known to happen, when a mother had a child she did not wish, and the bond failed to manifest. It was unfortunate, but... the orcwife took the child out of the tent, and made her way up mountain. Laying it between chilly rocks, she turned and left. The baby was given no name, for none was needed. Until their fifth year, a baby is only a potential orc.

Still, it did not cry. It continued to breathe with strong lungs, and watched the pre-morning sky start to pale.

Last edited:

incognito

First Post
Then, suddenly, the child was out. The orcwife and mother looked at the child, redfaced but breathing, and Ugreht's motherly instincts failed to kick in.

Daaaaaaang! Now THAT's more like the family I know!

:) (mostly kidding WRT the family, of course - excepting that the female members sure do know how to hold a grudge!)

but for the brother, I was thinking they might tussle against a common enemy at some point, not with each other!

And any chance of inight into the coutner casting that the ORcs MUST be planning. Magic cost them dealy this time...(stupid fireball!)

seasong

First Post
Intermission: Merideth

Merideth, Scion of Allas. War Hero. Slayer of Darkness. Bane of Spiders.

She tried all of them out in her head, trying to make her shoulders high enough and broad enough to carry such lofty-sounding titles. She envisioned herself, leaping from precipice to rocky precipice, inflicting weal and woe upon hordes of orcs and spiders and whatever else she could fancy. In her head, Merideth always had the potential to be any kind of hero.

Useless noncombatant. Orc slave. Serving girl.

Merideth could already see her home, an attractively designed, quaint little domicile of brick and marble that her family didn't own. Servant's quarters, made as attractive as possible, then tucked away from sight by the main road, shadowed by the modest manse and tower it was an accessory for.

Kyriotes. Bile rose momentarily, as did hot tears that were ruthlessly suppressed. The old wizard's family lived here, and he occasionally visited them. The tower was his old one, now partially a storage bin, partially a home away from home for him, when he wasn't out on some grand adventure or holed up in the Theralis library.

She'd been enchanted by him when she was a child. He would do magic tricks for all of the children in the household, servants included, and he was a fascinating storyteller who loved to tell of places he'd been and things he'd done. When he was around, most of the children wanted to grow up to be arcanists, although Merideth was the only one who maintained that desire between trips... except...

When she'd boldly asked him to apprentice her at age eleven, he'd taken her seriously for half an hour. During that period, he'd tested her on memory, puzzles, and strange pictures. She'd been so excited about being tested, and then he told her that he wouldn't teach her.

"Child, there is nothing wrong with you, and you are reasonably intelligent, but to be an arcanist requires something beyond reasonable. It is a rare gift, one which most people don't have. If you are set on magic, you should set your sights lower.. you might make an excellent healer, for example."

"But I want to be an adventurer!"

The old wizard had looked startled at that, then eased his face into kindly lines, "Well, healers can be adventurers, too. Why, what if I were deep in the Old Forests, and injured beyond recovery? What would I do?"

"You'd teleport!" She was smart enough to guess that, she figured.

"Well, yes, but not if I was exhausted. I might need a healer, then."

"Not you!"

He'd chuckled, and forgotten about it. Merideth had not. When she applied for apprenticing to Aionas the mindworker a year later, he'd likely not even connected the two events.

But he'd filled her head with dreams, and been kind to her in a house where servants were invisible, at least while she was still a child and full of cuteness. Then he'd grown distant, and...

...completely passed her by, not even a hint of recognition, during the war council. She suppressed another wave of bile and tears, and began walking down the path to home.

Her family, a close knit bunch, greeted her at the door with expressions of surprise and happiness, and Merideth was very nearly hugged into unconsciousness. For a while, things were good.

But two years had weighed heavily on her mother's face and around her father's eyes, and their sloped shoulders, once so normal to Merideth, now seemed pitiful and weak after a year with wealth-born Greppa and golden Athan.

Still, she told them where she'd been, and even managed (as she always did in her head) to make the time enslaved seem like a small step on the path to heroism and adventure. She glossed a few things - Southbottom folk care little for the soft north valleys, for example - but overall she managed to convey the scope of her journey.

And then it was the wee hours of the night, and she went to bed. When she awoke, it was like she hadn't left. She wore ordinary clothing, helped her family out with the house chores (she refused to work in the big house, however), watched over the new baby...

Before she knew it, a week had passed, and nothing had changed. And every night, her parents came in too tired to do much other than eat a meal, and go to bed. And they would have been more tired, except that Merideth was there to shoulder some of the work.

Only she wasn't going to be.

That afternoon, Merideth put manic effort into all of the chores. She finished cleaning dishes and clothing, swept out every floor, aired out the house and let sunlight in, made sheets, pasted chipped dishes, and organized as much as she knew how to. Then (she'd counted carefully, but it was still hard), she left a year's salary in her mother's pouch, part of the group's spoils from the lost temple, made dinner and left it on the table..

And slipped out before anyone got home.

On the road north, the tears she'd ruthlessly suppressed burst out of her like a dam. She felt lower than low, but what could she do? She couldn't stay. She couldn't tell them she hated their lives.

Days later, when she'd arrived at Greppa's tower, she'd managed to achieve what she felt was the perfect look of tranquil wisdom and acceptance of her burdens. To Athan and Greppa, she just looked stoop-shouldered and sad, but she didn't offer explanation, and they didn't ask.

seasong

First Post
incognito said:
And any chance of inight into the coutner casting that the ORcs MUST be planning. Magic cost them dealy this time...(stupid fireball!)
Sorry, no can do. Whatever the orcs are planning, we've got some time between now and then :).

Hope y'all enjoy Merideth's family bit.

incognito

First Post
Hope y'all enjoy Merideth's family bit.

Dang. Meredith's family is suffering from the classic tragedy of the lower middle class. Not poor enough to be resorting to anything shady, or illegal - just simple folk, working at simple jobs, earning enough $$$ to make it season to season, but never enough to break out of the day-in, day-out patterns that so many of us in modern day life get caught up in.

Wow.

I wonder seasong, if you realise, just how close to home this last chapter would hit if it was read by a larger audience. I wonder how many of us, with our long hours, and busy lives fall into a very similar genre to M's parents. Or how many of us stuggle, like M, to escape that trap.

It's an interesting chapter indeed. Maybe trite, but certainly a good read. I think I'll go home, buy a spear, and start hunting brutal Orcs (high school bullies) and evil Necromanceers (certain CEO's).

Ahhh, the life of an adventurer. :)

Oh yeah, if seaong's own little brother can post to this thread, surely the rest of you EN World "slackers" can chime in and give some props, eh?

As if I'm the only one reading this! Sheesh!

Remove ads