• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Second best death scene?

KenM

Banned
Banned
Another good one was in Dr. Strangelove: I forgot the characters name, but the guy that rode the bomb with the cowboy hat.

Last edited:

Staffan said:
Many people have mentioned Babylon 5 death scenes. However, none have so far mentioned my favorite, also in season 3 but somewhat earlier:
Lord Refa getting beaten to a pulp by angry Narns in the caverns beneath the surface of Narn, interspersed with a gospel singer singing "And the rock cried out, no hiding place."

Gives me goosebumps, that one does.

And the sinner's gonna be running,
with the knowledge of their fate...
Ah, that was the scene I desperetaly tried to remember! I knew it was a Death scene from B5, but I couldn`t remember which one I loved so much... :)

I think the final "Death" scene of FarScape
Ayren and Crichton
was something I somehow "liked" - they seemed to die happy...

Léon`s (Jean Reno) death in "Léon the Professional" is a great one, too ...

Padril

First Post
As death scenes go Roy Battys' can't be beaten.

Roy Batty said:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Rutger Hauer wrote that himself apparently just before filming the scene.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Everyone here seems to be forgetting the single greatest death scene ever -

Comic Book Guy aka The Collector, striking Lorne Greene's death pose as Adama in Battlestar Galactica, after he is dumped in liquid lucite! :p

wedgeski

Adventurer
Richards said:
You guys are all focusing on human deaths! Here are a couple of my favorite death scenes from kaiju movies:
This + the guy whose dad 'went the same way' = laughing so hard I can't eat my lunch. Thanks a lot. :)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Staffan said:
Many people have mentioned Babylon 5 death scenes. However, none have so far mentioned my favorite, also in season 3 but somewhat earlier:
Lord Refa getting beaten to a pulp by angry Narns in the caverns beneath the surface of Narn, interspersed with a gospel singer singing "And the rock cried out, no hiding place."

Gives me goosebumps, that one does.

And the sinner's gonna be running,
with the knowledge of their fate...
Oh that one was choice. One of my favorite episodes.

"I went to the rock to hide my face but the rock cried out no hiding place..."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
rurbonas said:
For combining brilliant direction, fantastic subtext and an involved audience into a single moment: Seiji Miyaguchi's Kyuzo in "The Seven Samurai".
- I hope I'm not mixing up character names here. I'm talking about the master swordsman who gets gunned down near the end of the village siege.
- Kyuzo was probably the character that made the biggest impact on me as I watched this film. If you haven't seen it, the duel scene he's involved in near the beginning and the scene where he goes (alone) into the woods to retrieve the enemy's guns were just so cool. His death at the hands of a bandit sniping from inside a nearby hut instantly made me hate the villains that much more. The direction was perfect; the surrounding chaos suddenly stopping with the sound of a single shot magnified the impact of this character's death tenfold. The new vs. old imagery hidden in the swordsman being brought down by gunpowder was fantastic and made this one of the only scenes in the film that I watched on its own.

Kurosawa has a knack for very dramatic death scenes. One of my favorites in his movies is from Ran. A battle rages without the sounds of normal war, just the strains of music, until that one treacherous shot rings out and then the audience is assaulted with all of the sound. Brilliant work. That is a heck of a death scene.
They say Kurosawa spent 10 years story-boarding that film out. I believe it.

buzzard

First Post
Howzabout in Amadeus when Salieri is at Mozart's bedside writing down the Requiem as the music plays. Where it seems that the act of creating that piece was killing Mozart. Any then as the music is almost complete, the wife walks in and stops the proceeding, only to have Amadeus die before completion, thus spoiling Salieri's plan to take the work for his own. This all occurs while the Requiem is playing in the background, and it is a very powerful piece of music.

buzzard

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Ok, from comics this time.

The Executioners death from Thor #362

I would say the Green Goblins death from Amazing Spider-Man but since the fools at Marvel gutted the impact from that issue by having him ALIVE to fill out a part in the worst Marvel "story" arc ever, the Ben Rilley crap, I can't. It's sad. :(

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads