• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Seeking educated opinions

Setheus

Explorer
Although I've been playing table-top D&D for over 5 years, I have far more experience running RPGs online than actually on a table. I tried for a long, long, long, LONG time to combine table-top elements with play-by-post, hoping for a seamless mixture that combined the best of both types.

http://pub227.ezboard.com/beclipseofthecelestialmoon
http://pub207.ezboard.com/bnewhavensacademy

and there's a few others, but too old to dig up. Anyway, I chose to slow down a bit, as before I was both trying to create the history and world, play my characters, and propel the plot I had in mind. Not only that, but tried using a rule/stat system to help some sort of distinction between character. In the end, it fell apart :\

Rather than give up however, I've been working on it offline, (What I really should have done first). I'm nearly finished with the nitty gritty details of the history, world, plot, etc etc - and I've begun to think about how I should run the game now. I've already played a few table-top games within the world, and it worked out quite well - but what I envision for the game needs to be much larger than a few friends meeting informally and just letting the creative juices flow. One thing I learned about online RPing, is that the creativity is always fresh - new people come so often.

So what I plan to do, is run a forum based d20 game, with my unique campaign setting. The only thing is, I want to find a forum that works so very well for d20 style games. EZboard, although it brings back nostalgic feelings for me, is just far too simple for what I want. I would love a forum engine as dynamic as IRC, with the ability to create randomly generated numbers.

I'm really seeking any sort of input from those of you who have experience with this sort of thing, ie - what kind of things to avoid and what kind of things to really focus on. I don't plan for a huge a game as I've previous run, as in the end I'll no doubt be the only DM, so I don't need anything super immense - just something I can customize to almost infinite degree :D

Thanks,
Seth

James McMurray

First Post
RPOL.NET!!! The system is amazing for running gams, you can even set each player's group to ensure that when the party seperates they have no idea what is happening to the rest of the party.

So far I have only played in arena games there (and GMed two of those). But I would most definitely recommend it for any sort of gaming experience you need. The built-in die roller handles d20, as well as almost any other system you can think of. If you are the type of DM to fudge the rolls, it even allows that.

rpol.net + my own website is how I would choose to run any online game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads