• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Self Sacrifice? (In Character)

sleypy

Explorer
I would have it cost a reaction. The attacker still makes all of their attacks against the targets AC, but your character takes any damage dealt.

Alternatively, I would give the target 3/4 cover and misses due to cover damage your character. That means that they could still hit the target if they roll high enough.

It really depends on the type of campaign I'm running.

Last edited:

epithet

Explorer
On Albert's turn, he declares that he is moving to protect Betty as a human shield, fearing that the next attack from Orc 1 will kill Betty. As a DM, I would have Albert move into position and make a hidden (seen only by me) persuade/intimidate (Albert's choice) check with a DC maybe equal to Orc 1's wisdom.

On Orc 1's turn, if the persuade/intimidate check works, Orc 1 will attack Albert instead of Betty. If it fails, then Orc 1 will attack Betty, but Albert is providing her with cover, adding +5 to her armor class. Per the rules in the DMG for using someone else as cover, if Orc 1 misses Betty but his attack beats Albert's armor class, then the attack hits Albert. See "Hitting Cover" DMG pg. 272.

Edit: Assuming we're playing on a grid, and Betty is next to Orc 1, I would let Albert "grapple" Betty out of the way with an automatic success unless Betty didn't want to be "saved." Since Betty's movement out of Orc 1's reach was not her own movement, it would not allow Orc 1 an attack of opportunity. Another option would be for Albert to push Orc 1 back a square and put himself between Betty and Orc 1, but that option has the risk of failure. It does have the benefit of the fact that a push attack is a very effective taunt against an orc, though.

Last edited:

Take the Help action and state you're willing to step in and take the blow of need be.

Help gives *your friend* Adv on *his* attack but also can help give them advantage on any reasonable task.

I'd say you could allow Help to provide your friend with Dodge (though your interference would give him Disadvantage on any attack he did try to make that round, assuming he doesn't choose to Dodge or Disengage himself anyway), and if the attack hit then you would take the damage 50% of the time - I'd just have both PCs roll d20, highest gets hit.

Could work and I can't see it being abused.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If you are playing the combat out on a grid, you need to find / create a way to block line-of-sight between the Monster and your Friend.

If you are doing Theater of the Mind, just describe to the group what you want to accomplish. When the Monster attacks, interject to the DM that you have kept alert for that. (And IRL really do keep alert to what is going on ! )

Was wondering what the rules are on sacrifice in d&d? For example if a PC and my character are standing side by side fighting a monster, if i save an action or something and he's about to be killed, could i move infront of him/pull him behind me, and take the hit? Might seem stupid to do but for story reasons this could occur. Trying not to discuss it with the GM, for the GM may use it against me and whatnot...it's a pretty hard campaign

Sure, I'd let you spend your turn Readying an action to interpose yourself between a victim and a blow. You spend your action and your reaction, and you'll take the damage automatically, but the victim will take zero damage from that attack unless it reduces you to zero HP, in which case they get the blow-through.

As a bit of tactical advice: if Love Interest is not already in melee with Orc 1, it might be more effectively to just tackle (grapple and possibly push prone if you have an extra attack) Orc 1 to prevent him from even getting near Love Interest. Now Love Interest can run away, and you're not taking auto-damage and can kill the orc to death.

Last edited:

SwivSnapshot

First Post
5e doesn't have a mark that locks down a target like 4e did, but my fighter/cleric has the Goading Strike maneuver and our paladin has Compelled Duel so the mechanic exists, you just have to find a way to convince your DM that you make a better target.

sleypy

Explorer
I really disagree with the readied action for this situation. I just don't like the idea of a PC sitting around doing nothing waiting for an attack that might not come. Worse, is the person might be perfectly fine when you end your turn, take multiple attacks and go down before your next turn comes around.

Narratively speaking, it seems to fit as a reaction; they see the killing blow and try to interpose themselves. I can see having the PC give up their next turn, but, again, not having to give up every turns action for an attack that might never come.

Shendorion

First Post
There's nothing written in the rules about it, but if it was done on very rare occasions I'd have you spend your reaction to add your STR or DEX bonus to the intended victim's AC. If that would cause the attack to miss, you take the damage from the attack. If it was something you plan on doing on a regular basis, we'd have to sit down and create a feat for you to take that lets you take bullets for your teammates, because damage reassignment is a fairly powerful ability.

If it's a narrative thing, whereby you want the character to die protecting the other character, I'd just have you spend an Inspiration and make it so.

The fact that you are afraid your DM will "use it against you" suggests that you don't trust him to arbitrate this sort of situation in your favor. Since it requires some homebrewing to do (which is entirely a DM's discretion sort of thing,) I'm not liking your chances.

What class is the character you want to use for a protector? Are feats and multiclassing allowed?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads