D&D 5E Sell me on a megadungeon

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Have you run one of the old school mega-dungeon 5E conversions? I can't decide whether it is better to find one made for 5E, since many of the expectations are so different. I own Scarlet Citadel but was kind of underwhelmed reading it. At the same time I don't want to buy Rappan Athuk 5E only to find out that it doesn't work because all they did was search replace the statblocks.
Not yet, but I recently bought Barrowmaze 5e and plan to run it in the near future, open-table style and using XP for treasure (or to be more specific, training to level up with training costs based on 5e treasure tables).

If folks are interested I’d be willing to do a postmortem of the campaign once it’s over. Though obviously that could take a while.

I don't see Castle Whiterock in this thread, and that's surprising. I've only read it, not played it, but I thought it was quite good. Each level has its own logic and ecology, and they relate to other levels, too. It was written for 3e but it shouldn't be hard to convert.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
DotMM is terrible. If I could get my money back on any one gaming item it might be that.

And I backed Marmoreal Tomb by Ernie Jr so that’s saying something.

Reynard

Legend
Because I am impulsive, i went ahead and bought Rappan Athuk 5E. I have been meaning to run this for years and finally have an opportunity.

Since it isn't available for Fantasy grounds, though, I am going to have to figure out what the best way to run it is. I am inclined to just use Zoom and see how it goes. Does anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Mercurius

Legend
I am casting Raise Thread instead of starting a new one.

@Mercurius have you run any of the mega-dungeons you purchased? I am interested in doing one myself, and am on the fence between RA and Forbidden Caverns.
I have not, unfortunately. That campaign got derailed for various Real Life reasons.

RA is a beast of a book, and very intimidating to dive into. But it is also a lot of fun in that it is so huge, so filled with ideas.

Remove ads