D&D 5E Sell me on a megadungeon

Reynard

Legend
First session last night!
The party consisted of a githyanki wizard, a gnome cleric, a half elf ranger and a human fighter. The players had the option of the bringing secondary characters who would get some cut of the treasure (and thus xp) or hiring mercenaries but they declined and just the four of them descended into the Mouth of Doom. We started at the entrance of the dungeon, as you do.

They made their way carefully but the game moved pretty smoothly. All the players have been playing for a long time and the "old school" style was pretty natural for everyone. They poked and prodded and avoided a couple traps and found some secret doors. By chance, they ended up bee-lining it in the direction of the bandit HQ on the first level. They don't know what is ahead but are following a vague trail (the mold is a little scuffed where the bandits come and go through the secret doors).

They ended up fighting the zombie and opening the sarcophagus and killing the ghoul, all without taking a hit -- although the wizard got himself surrounded briefly and only luck kept the zombies from tearing him apart. The wizard also burned through most of his resources in that one fight. He is lobbying to rest already but the other party members don't want to take the chance of a random encounter. We ended for the night before a decision could be made.

They do not know they are now right outside the bandit hideout. The bandits know they are there and will try and rob them if they get a chance. if the PCs rest, they will loop around to flank them (and try and drive a random encounter their way if the dice work out). If the PCs don't rest and press forward, the bandits will try and jump the lead character and ransom his life for treasure. It should be interesting.

A note: I am using 1 minute actions in the dungeon. Moving down a hall or searching a spot or whatever takes 1 minute -- except every fight takes 10 minutes including binding wounds and stuff.

Reynard

Legend
I was prepping for tonight's game last night and am pretty sure that if the PCs force a fight with Tall jack Rat and his goons, it is going to be a TPK: 3 bandits, 4 orcs and Jack versus 4 level 1 PCs.

Reynard

Legend
Session 2 of Rappan Athuk!
The PCs chose to short rest, which gave the bandits time to loop around. They encountered skeletons on the way and pushed those into the room first, so the PCs had to fight. The dice were against the players and 2 party members were down and bleeding before the bandits revealed themselves (coming in from both sides of the room). Then they did something unexpected from the players perspective and helped dispatch the remaining skeletons and bandage the dying PCs. Tall Jack Rat made it clear he was only interested in relieving the PCs of whatever treasure they had found thus far -- and did. The players swore revenge but without any other good options, they retreated and licked their wounds.

After a long rest, they debated heading straight to the bandits for some revenge but decided to explore a little instead. Basically, they hoped to level before facing tall Jack and his goons, and to do that they needed some treasure. They ended up disturbing a gelatinous cube! But seeing valuable floating in its mass, they kited it to death with judicious use of ray of frost. Inside they found a magic arrow, a diamond and some armor.

They also encountered a room lined with adhesive and a treasure chest on the far end. They ended up tearing up their blankets and bedrooms to create a path to the chest and recovered the gold* therein. Happy with their take and worried about encountering more monsters, they high tailed it back to town where their spoils would allow them XP. They debated whether to sell the magic arrow since without it they had no magic weapon but with it they gained enough wealth the level, and ultimately decided to level up.

I instituted a carousing rule: current level x100gp over a number of days times current level before they can level up. Also, all equipment available in Zelkor's Ferry is twice normal costs.

Next time we will spend a little time in town with NPCs. I will give them new rumors and also make them aware of the castle in the area (the other low level dungeon) that they could conceivably make their own.

*The module says there are 500 GP and one silver piece and I chose to leave the silver piece out because if I hadn't it would have eaten a half hour of them trying to figure out what the silver piece was special. Old school indeed!

Remove ads