• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sell me on fey!

Syltorian

First Post
Takyris said it best, really.

People are afraid of dragons and monsters ('aberrations'). They come and eat them, maybe steal the princess and kill some cattle. Then the knight in shining armour comes along, kills the dragon, marries the princess, and the world is as it should be.

The knight in shining armour will usually have much more work to do if he deals with the fey. Fey are terrifying because they are everywhere, but you cannot see them anywhere. You never know what they will do next.

Maybe you have offended them without knowing because your cow ate a pixie's favourite flower, and the next you know, your son's hair has turned white and he refuses to eat, growing sicker and thinner by the day. Your trusty old sword from your days in the army hangs there, but what do you do with it? Who do you attack?

You may go to a priest to get your son exorcised. He may even agree, without payment, because he is a good man. The next morning, when he tries to preach, he panics because his entire congregation seems, by fey illusion, to be made up of demons of his worst nightmares. Not a single candle in the temple will stay lit, and the incense stinks like nothing ever smelled before. Your son, cured the day before, has gone missing. Later that day, he is found drowned, his expression enraptured, in the local pond. And, throughout the village, curses multiply.

Within days, you have a terror reigning in the village that even the fiercest wyrm could not have produced.

The fey are a menace, because they get much more involved, on every level of society. Because they are difficult to understand, and thus to deal with. Because they see the world differently. They are unseen, yet there. Astride between the worlds of the natural and the supernatural, between the living and the dead[1].

They are not 'the things that cannot be', but 'the things that may just about be'. Their world is there, overlying our own. Yet few can reach it or perceive it, let alone, deal with it. They are frustrating, unlike aberrations where your mind just gives up: fey manage to seem natural and supernatural at the very same time; that drives one crazy much more than just 'accepting' that something is unnatural.

They are the true horror, the horror of the unseen and the unknown, more certain to drive you to despair and insanity than any aberration or allip could. Even while they might actually be trying to help you. They are also the personification of dangerous attraction, of giving yourself to their music and charm and beauty with untold consequences.

Unlike aberrations, they are not revulsive. Fey are extremely beautiful. Aluring, even. And that means that there is usually a trap involved. Even more terrifying is that the fey do often not mean it to be a trap. The nymph may really like that mortal, never mind he cannot breathe under water; she just forgot that and is truly sad. They enjoyed the mortal's company in their dance. They do not perceive time as we do, and do not understand that the mortal is devastated at having found out that a century has passed since he entered that dance.

Fey are, in a word, subtle. A foe, even a friend, who leaves your wondering is worse than one who poses a direct threat. With the Tarrasque, you know where you are at. With a gang of invisible pixies, there is no telling what might happen next. In D&D terms, they are appropriate for a much lower-level group than the Tarrasque, but even an epic group could have trouble figuring them out, and putting an end to their machinations. Sword and spell are of no use; you need to play their game, and that means, first of all, finding out who the other players are and what the rules happen to be.

It all runs down to the fear of the unseen. Present fears are less than horrible imaginings, goes the saying. And the horrible imaginings is exactly what the fey are.

[1]Originally, though this is not taken up much in D&D, 'fey' actually means 'fated to die', or 'close to death' (according to the OED).

Klaus

First Post
Morgan Le Fey.

The Lady of the Lake.

La Dame Sans Merci ("The Lady Without Mercy").

The dock alfar and dwarves and trolls of Norse mythology.

Late 19th-early 20th century art had lots of great fey paintings.

rounser

First Post
D&D has dipped it's toe in this territory. For me, one of the best adventures for D&D of any edition probably has to go to "The Lost Seneschal" from Tall Tales of the Wee Folk. It reads and plays like a fairy tale, and - as you'd expect from the perversity of fairy tale situations - requires a good deal of PC ingenuity to get out of in one piece, regardless of level.

Come to think of it, "The Lost Seneschal" preceded by "Legacy of the Liosalfar" would make for a nifty little fey-themed minicampaign.

Taking a fairy tale twist on monsters seems to inject new life into them, too. The Ogress from "The Lost Seneschal" is a cliche, but a refreshing one for D&D. I think it's the "The". The Ogress. The Hungry Giant. They're not just something to fight, but come with fixed foibles with which to outwit them.

Last edited:

Razz

Banned
Banned
I'd really like they to update the leprechans to 3E already, too. A fey book would be nice to present new fey, too, along with information on them, their deities, homes, and ways. Come to think of it, gremlins are also "fey" and I miss them from 2E. I believe there were different types, too, gremlins, fremlins, and a few others.

GreatLemur

Explorer
See, it's the connection to folklore that I really don't dig about fey. I'm not hugely into European mythology, and I think a lot of the tropes that are important to it are pretty different from anything that's part of the RPG-style fantasy subgenre, or at least the facets of D&D that I'm interested in.

I do think some really cool and interesting things can be done with the whole fey concept, but I think a slightly deconstructionist approach is necessary, something less concerned with reproducing the creatures of folklore than of analyzing and rationalizing the common roots of various "fey" conceptions, and beating them into a coherent whole. A fey-specific D&D book ain't exactly high on my list of priorities (a book on savage humanoids would obviously be more worthwhile, and I'd personally be extremely interested in a construct book), but I'd like to see a book that actually quantifies exactly what all creatures with the "fey" type have in common, and how they're distinct from humanoids, monstrous humanoids, elementals, outsiders, and others. Extra points for moving away from European faerie tales and working towards something that fits better into generic and specific D&D campaign settings.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I appreciate all the wonderful references to fairies and mythology and everything.

The thing is that I don't get D&D fey. I mean, elves are mythologically considered fey. But those elves are not 5'8" with slender bodies who love the forest. And the who D&D pixie/nixie/grig stuff just doesn't make sense according to their sizes. I mean, it does if you only read some stories - and totally doesn't if you read others. I think that is my problem with fey. They never match up with what I expect fey to be. In other words, I think D&D has done a poor job making D&D fey match up to mythology/fairy tales.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a fey oriented book. To be hnest, I think would go a long way in helping create a D&D "fey" concept. My suggestions would be to get rid of the commonly used names like "pixie" and come up with new creatures. Tere are simply too many expectations around what a pixie should be to ever meet the expectations of all people. So, make up new creatures that are D&D fey. I'd buy into that.

After all, I love the Draconomicon and I love Lords of Madness. I think the Draconomicon does a good enough job pulling away from dragonology and makes its own case for a D&D dragon. [Chromatic vs. Metallic alone goes a long way in this.] Aberrations, beholders, etc are almost purely a D&D baby - even if they do have some basis in mythology. People have really bought into those concepts. I think they would buy into a D&D fey that may be based in stories but truly comes into its own light as a D&D creation.

That's what I want. Own fey and make them D&D. Quit trying to make fey that match mythology or fairy tales. because so long as that continues, I'll always be dissappointed. Stories about specific fey are too widespread and varied to ever truly be satisfied by a statblock.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The thing is that I don't get D&D fey. I mean, elves are mythologically considered fey. But those elves are not 5'8" with slender bodies who love the forest.

While many fey were tiny creatures, some were no different in stature than humans.

However, D&D elves borrow heavily from JRRT, and his are not straight-up fey- he intermingled creatures from other legendary traditions to create his elves.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing true sidhe introduced into D&D as the distant cousins of the elves...perhaps elves who didn't give up their fey heritage to exist in the world of man.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
What I like about Fey

What I like about mythic Fey is they ooze magic power while being so outside the human condition as to (often) be beyond the limitations of good and evil. It is like getting to play with Demons and Angels living in your backyard, except you cannot take for granted that you understand any of their motivations.

Powerful Fey can be like little godlings that rule over a single stream forest or mountain.

Remove ads