Sell me on fey!

GreatLemur

Explorer
Jürgen Hubert said:
What, do the faery tales have too much blood and gore for you in them? ;)
Too much terrestrial culture. That, and a really vague conception of the supernatural. I like my mythological appropriations with the serial numbers filed off, and my magic to work like science.

Ulric

First Post
So, I was wondering, what are some good fey books? I know there are a few RPG books about fey. Are they any good? Any other books (RPG or not) that are good fey books? I'll recommend one that was recommended to me here a while back by someone else:

Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World around You

Very cool pictures. The fairies are very traditional, yet unique in the way the artist has drawn them. The book really got my mind working and opened it up to fairyfolk and a world they might inhabit.

Schmoe

Adventurer
This has been an excellent thread! I've always had a strong reaction to fey, especially as portrayed in traditional stories and fairy tales. There are a couple of things that make them compelling to me, first of which is their power and ability. The powers of fey are subversive, elusive, and dangerous. They are outside the scope of what is "common" and difficult to predict. One might kill you with its beauty, while another might lull you into a century-long sleep without your knowledge, and yet another might bestow on you a kiss that allows you to travel in dreams. You really don't know what's going to happen, but you're pretty sure it's not a risk you want to take.

The second is their motivation. Fey are intelligent, but their motivations are inscrutable. They don't have emotions like we commonly understand emotions. The nixies from a previous poster may circle a boat, enticing the people with whispers of "I love you, don't you love me?" but they don't really feel love. Neither do they do it from a desire to lure people to their doom. It is simply what they do. It is an expression of a primal force. It is this alien emotionless quality that sets people on edge, and I think it is the most powerful source of inspiration for stories involving fey.

This really helped me to understand what I like about the fey.

Razz said:
Pixie: Sprites that embody the flighty aspects of nature. Their enjoyment in stealing from the rich might be a representation of the fact that material possessions are unnecessary to nature.

The pixies steal because they are an expression of the passing of all material things. They don't do it to cause harm, or mischief, or for altruism, or any other motivation that we might understand. They do it simply because it is what they are. And because of this, pixies become mysterious, possibly something to be feared and avoided, and certainly something to wonder at. They live by natural laws which are non-negotiable, and have no morals or compassion to appeal to.

The cobbler's elves from The Elves and the Shoemaker are an interesting example. The elves help the cobbler by making shoes for him at night, but why? What on earth could possibly compel them to make the shoes? They don't seem to do it for altruism, as they never display any sort of compassion toward the cobbler or his wife, and in fact don't seem to give it a second thought as they caper out the door and leave forever. They seem to do it simply because that is what they do, no more an expression of hard work and commitment to one's craft. So that when they do leave, the cobbler and his wife are left wondering, "What just happened, and why?"

In fact, it's a sign of just how mysterious and poorly understood the fey are, that we would be no less surprised if the elves flew into a fit of rage upon finding the clothes the wife had sewn for them, and burned the house to the ground. And yet, if they had done so, we have the feeling that the rage would simply be an indication that some law of the elves' existence had been violated by the offering of clothing.

Anyway, I'm sure that doesn't jive with everyone here, but it's definitely what I like about the fey.

Last edited:

Fieari

Explorer
For anyone wanting to try their hand at detailing a setting with better fae involvement, I started a collaborative setting thread, here.

MythMage

First Post
Ulric, I suggest you check out "Tales Before Tolkein" (a short story anthology) and Hans Christian Andersen's "Snow Queen".

Nellisir said:
Nice, but...holy crap, the average CR is pretty high! I would've gone -way- lower and advanced them with templates, classes, and suchlike. As it is, your Faerie seems unsuitable for anyone under 15th level! (and then they can only face 4 cu sidhe! Yikes!)
It just seems that way because there's already plenty of low-level fey. The vast majority of extant fey are CR 9 or less, so we have less need to develop more fey in that range. Not that we aren't doing little guys - the majority are below CR 11. We're adding more new ones, and particularly developing their lords and ladies, but most of Faerie's residents are littler things like dryads and satyrs and nymphs. When we're finished, DF's Faerie Project should contain at least one monster for each CR from 1/8 up to 13, and at least half the CRs from there to 55 or more (with the deifically powerful Queen Titania and the Queen of Air and Darkness at the top).

Will

First Post
This thread is interesting; I was thinking recently that it'd be neat to run a campaign where fey featured more prominently. In most games I've run/been in, the focus is typically undead or on outsiders.

I was also thinking of running E6, and I think the large number of CR9- fey would work well as recurring elements of such a game.

GreatLemur said:
I do think some really cool and interesting things can be done with the whole fey concept, but I think a slightly deconstructionist approach is necessary, something less concerned with reproducing the creatures of folklore than of analyzing and rationalizing the common roots of various "fey" conceptions, and beating them into a coherent whole. A fey-specific D&D book ain't exactly high on my list of priorities ..... but I'd like to see a book that actually quantifies exactly what all creatures with the "fey" type have in common, and how they're distinct from humanoids, monstrous humanoids, elementals, outsiders, and others.

I don't feel like writing a book but I can sum up what makes 'fey' separate from other creatures.

Fey are, for all intents and purposes, spirits made flesh. More emotion than meat. The more primal the spirit the more explicit the link; Dryads are the spirits of a forest tied to the biggest oak, sirine are the soul of a brook made flesh from its water. Others less explicit but still symbolic; the Redcap are violent little boggins that need the blood of mortals to stay strong.

It is the less primal, more complex creatures that blur the lines. Sprites, pixies, and the like are the weakest of these more complex beings. They are essentially laughter and playfulness incarnate; typically good but mischievious. Unfortunately they are, like a 3 year-old, unable to recognize when the target of their prank/joke ceases to find things funny. When angered they can go to the same extremes as any celestial outsider but with greater remorse afterwards. When angry they become the embodiment of cruel, mocking laughter and jokes at the expense of others.

Fey are generally seen to be divided along four axis; High and Low Court, and Bright and Dark Court.

High and Low Court can be seen as Noble and Common fey. The Low Court consist of all the more primal spirits; typically those that are either tied to a given place or that are more primal. High Court are the more complex spirits that are typically humanoid and charismatic.
Birth determines High and Low Court, though complex politics can elevate or demote a fey.

The Bright/Dark Court (aka Shining/Shadow, Seelie/Unseelie) is one of individual nature. Some creatures (like Nymphs and Redcaps) are always tied to a given court but others can cross the line. Bright court is more concerned with creation, daylight, and honor while the Dark court enjoys destruction, shadows, and treachery. The Bright Court is just as dangerous as the Dark, being easily insulted, but they tend to be more specific in targeting their anger. An angry Seelie will hunt down a particular family or group of people while the Unseelie may unleash the Wild Hunt until they grow bored.

Nymphs are always part of the High and Bright Court. Redcaps are always part of the Dark Court, and usually Low Court.

As spirits, their forms express their nature. Siblings who follow different courts (Shining vs. Dark) can be seen as different beings by mortals. E.g. sirine vs. glaistig and kelpies vs. nixies.

The "true fey" are best represented in D&D by the LeShay (fyi: sidhe is a gaelic word meaning "faerie" pronounced "shay", so this is french for "the fey") in the Epic Level Handbook. They are powerful, magic weilding, supernatural beings from beyond.

As far as the humanoid "faerie" races, there's a simple answer. The fey are prone to taking human servants so all those races are actually the descendants of the fey human servants. Elves were servants of the High Court, Orcs of the Dark Court, Dwarves of those underground fey. They are not fey themselves but they bear the mark of the fey. The racial dislike of elves and orcs would be a legacy of that; the fey magic still shaping their bones.

Half-elves, duergar (dwarf-human), and half-orcs all show the racial foundation. Even the lack of ability to interbreed could be a result of those sidhe magics.

Clavis

First Post
I grew up in an Irish-American family where the mystical and supernatural were taken for granted.

My father sees visions.
When I was 3 we had a poltergeist haunting in our apartment after a family friend died.
I am told I had a great aunt who was a witch, and owned a cat who could jump through the glass of closed windows.
I was told as child that my great uncles had seen and heard the banshee.

Under circumstances like those, its no surprise I like to have fey in my games. The thing with the fey (or sidhe, or fairies, or Good People) is that you CAN'T understand them. They are like inscrutable forces of nature, and can be far more terrifying than mere monsters. Their motivations seem so close to human that you will misread them for human, and make terrible mistakes when dealing with them. Human concepts of right and wrong just don't apply.

Attempts to scientifically understand something like a fairy are doomed to fail. They are not anything that can be reduced to other concepts. They frighten because they demonstrate the utter inability of the human mind to truly understand the universe.

Remove ads