D&D 5E Sell me on the World of Greyhawk please

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well it might not officially be the default but there's a definite leaning towards the Realms, and all of the adventure material has been for the Realms so far. :)

So far; they are adamant further setting support is coming, and that is all over Core. The incidental optional buys have been FR, true, but we are early days yet.

Luz

Explorer
What makes Greyhawk so good and popular? I didn't start playing D&D till 3rd edition came out and there wasn't a whole lot of Greyhawk at that time, or really any time in the last 15 years so I am hoping that some peoples will tell me and educate me as to why so many want to see this setting come back. So please tell me what's so good about it.

Defined with broad strokes, Greyhawk is a darker, grittier world than Forgotten Realms, with less direct-deity involvement. It has the fantastical elements of Tolkien's Middle Earth but with the grim tone of Howard's Hyboria. If that appeals to your game tastes then Greyhawk is for you.

It should also be noted that Greyhawk did receive a ton of support in 3E from Paizo. Only with adventure content, mind you, but most of it was quality material.

Hereticus

First Post
... it originally had a very light footprint in the sense that it leaves the world open for the DM's of the world to use as they wish. You don't see novels advancing the story of the setting like you do in Forgotten Realms...

Some people like to play someone else's story, some people like to create their own.

Hereticus

First Post
Some people like to play someone else's story, some people like to create their own.

Some people would very much like to create their own but they don't have the time...

The campaign setting book creates a good frame for a world, it's what becomes all the canon around it over the years that is playing someone else's game. If you don't have time, stick with the book as written.

Remove ads