[Semi-OT] 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' two-disc DVD set

Jamdin

Explorer
I bought my first dvd player & the LOTR dvd. Unfortunately, I got home & found out I couldn't hook up the player to the tv set or the vcr :( So I took the player & the movie back. Now the cashier knows why I bought the video also. I'll never be able to play dvd movies until I get a new tv set. That's not likely to happen with the prices of tv sets around here plus the trouble of trying to get one home.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Jamdin said:
I bought my first dvd player & the LOTR dvd. Unfortunately, I got home & found out I couldn't hook up the player to the tv set or the vcr :( So I took the player & the movie back. Now the cashier knows why I bought the video also. I'll never be able to play dvd movies until I get a new tv set. That's not likely to happen with the prices of tv sets around here plus the trouble of trying to get one home.

What kind of input connection do you have on your TV? It might be possible to buy an adapter or an adapter box to take care of the problem...

I'm guessing you most likely jsut have the coax (cable/TV) input on your set...

madriel

First Post
Sorry to here that Jamdin. I was in the same boat, but my brother and his wife found a dvd compatible tv at a pawn shop and bought it for me. Aren't they great?:) Check out your local pawn shops, they might have something.

Quickbeam

Explorer
My wife and I pre-ordered the two disc set (which I picked up earlier today), and we'll be getting the four disc set also. Someone I know will certainly be happy to get a hand-me-down copy of the two disc set come November, if I decide it contains nothing indespensible and only want to own the four disc set.

mmadsen

First Post
I bought my first dvd player & the LOTR dvd. Unfortunately, I got home & found out I couldn't hook up the player to the tv set or the vcr :(

Jamdin, all you need is an RF modulator -- $30 at Radio Shack.

Jamdin

Explorer
Yep, all I have is coax connector on the tv. Unfortunately, we don't have a local pawn shop or a Radio Shack. It's hard to get anything nice around here...

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Test drive a Kia, get the 2 disc set free, buy the four disk. Or, see if your local Blockbuster will still sell you the 10 week rental card (only $24.95) that gets you 1 rental a week for 10 weeks, and the 2 disc DVD for free. That's what I did. Why choose when you can have both?

Lazybones

Adventurer
I have to admit, the main reason I'm not buying both is because of a vague sense of outrage at the cynicism of New Line's tactics. I mean, I know that it's common to milk franchises like this, but two releases of the same movie a few months apart?

I know they'll make a truckload of money, too, which will encourage other companies to hop on the bandwagon of milking the die-hard fans.

And companies wonder why warez proliferates like it does. Capitalism breeds cynicism and an antagonistic approach on both sides of the producer/consumer relationship, IMO.

Well, that's neither here nor there. Enjoy the movie, everyone; I'll probably break down and rent it to tide me over until November.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Jamdin said:

Yep, all I have is coax connector on the tv. Unfortunately, we don't have a local pawn shop or a Radio Shack. It's hard to get anything nice around here...
You mean you can't order from RadioShack.com? (Of course, I understand if you don't have a credit card.)

Personally, I'd keep the player and find myself a decent TV with AV input, RCA-type input at least.

Oh, well. There is always the VHS version.

And oh yeah, I'm going to wait for the 4-disc Platinum Series Extended Edition set in November.

Remove ads