[Semi-OT] 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' two-disc DVD set

Holy Bovine

First Post
Lazybones said:
I have to admit, the main reason I'm not buying both is because of a vague sense of outrage at the cynicism of New Line's tactics. I mean, I know that it's common to milk franchises like this, but two releases of the same movie a few months apart?

Ah, but it isn't the exact same movie. the one in November will be almost 45 minutes longer and will not include the orignal theatrical release. I am actually torn as to which one I want. I loved the theatrical version but I would also love to see what extra scenes they put in. Now I have the fore-knowledge that if I buy one I get X and if I buy the other I get Y. Neither is supposed to be all that expensive - I look at the November set as being the real Tolkien-fanboy intensive one with tons of documentary footage, extra scenes and other goodies. That 's why I leaning towards that one right now.

Course if someone gave me the 2-disc set for XMas I wouldn't complain ;)

Torillan

First Post
Yep....

Tewligan said:
I'm off to Best Buy in about 20 minutes to get LotR during lunch, and I'll be doing the same thing again in a few months when the big one comes out. It's not like it's crazy expensive or anything - I think it's worth the price to have both sets, with the different extras an' all.

I just bought mine at Best Buy this morning for $16, so cost meant very little in my decision. I also intend to buy the 4-disc set come November. Pre-ordered at Best Buy for $28, and that one comes right to my door (free shipping no less!!)

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp After further research, I found that it may pay to get both versions!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Apparently, Peter Jackson wanted to release a six-disc set that included the theatrical version of the film, the director's cut version with 30 minutes of added footage, and tons of other goodies. They soon figured out that almost no one would buy a six-disc set (imagine the price!), so they broke it up into two sets: the two-disc set and the four-disc set. Neither will have material that the other has (or so I hear). The official reason, of course, is that they didn't want the fans to have to wait for the movie itself while Peter Jackson is still finalizing the director's commentary and other stuff.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp In any case, if you can afford it, it would pay to get both the two-disc set, and either the four-disc set or the Collector's Set (which includes the four-disc set, plus other stuff). :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp By the way, will either of these DVD disc-sets compare favorably with the Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie DVD? ;)

-G

Last edited:

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
Goodsport said:
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp After further research, I found that it may pay to get both versions!

Neither will have material that the other has (or so I hear).

That is correct. The 4-disc set will have documentaries and other special features created for the 4-disc set specifically. None of the special features on the 2-disc set will be on the 4-disc set.

Watched the 2-disc set last night. Loved it!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
For those reluctant to fork over the extra money, the 2-disk set comes with a coupon for $5 rebate when you buy the 4-disk set or $10 rebate for the collector's set. Kinda like being able to upgrade.

Tiberius

Explorer
My girlfriend bought the 2-disc set yesterday, and I ordered the super-uber-platinum-I-half-expect-it-to-cook-clean-and-do-laundry 5-disc set from Amazon back in June. With the Attack of the Clones DVD, LotR DVD, and the next Harry Potter movie being released in November, it will be a good movie month for me. :)

-Tiberius

Ranger REG

Explorer
National Acrobat said:

I am waiting for the 4 disc set, but hopefully I can avoid breaking down and getting the 2 disc set to hold me over....
You're braver than I am because I broke down. :D

( Note the smiley. )

At least, there is a mail-in rebate coupon included: you can get $5 back if you're going to buy the Extended Edition OR $10 back if you're going to buy the Collector's Gift Set.

At least I got a preview of what the extended edition going to have, with Peter Jackson saying there will be 30 minutes of extra footage.

The previews of The Two Towers ... the movie (to be open in December 2002) ... and a videogame by Electronics Arts. I may just buy a console after all, although one can hope for a PC version, right?

Right?

Plus two specials (aired on FOX and on SCI-FI) and small featurettes (aired on the LordOfTheRings.net website). Oh, yeah, and an Enya music video.

Did I miss anything?

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Jamdin said:
I bought my first dvd player & the LOTR dvd. Unfortunately, I got home & found out I couldn't hook up the player to the tv set or the vcr :( So I took the player & the movie back. Now the cashier knows why I bought the video also. I'll never be able to play dvd movies until I get a new tv set. That's not likely to happen with the prices of tv sets around here plus the trouble of trying to get one home.

You can also do what we did...

Our DVD player wouldn't hook into our TV, because our TV only has a standard "cable" connector. So, we hooked the DVD player up to the TV through our VCR.

Make certain the VCR is turned on and switched to the proper input (Line 1), and no problem with the DVD player.

Remove ads