Send In The Clowns… (or, Converting the Oddballs)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Bummer. I was already imagining the dreaded Tirapheg Septad. Maybe that could be their ruling council. :lol:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Anyway… :)

There’s really not that much to do here. Let’s see…

Rewriting this
All-around Vision (Ex): The tirapheg’s three eyes allow it to see things in front of it as well as behind it, bestowing a +4 racial bonus to Spot and Search checks. Tiraphegs can’t be flanked.
to this, to be more 3.5ish:
All-Around Vision (Ex): A tiraphegs’s three, equally spaced eyes give it a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks, and it can't be flanked.

Do we want to keep the strangle attack as is? If so, it goes from
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the tirapheg must hit an opponent of up to Medium-size with both of its spikes. If it gets a hold, it uses its central arm to strangle the opponent.

Constrict (Ex): A tirapheg deals 1d4+3 points of damage with a successful grapple check against Medium-size or smaller creatures. Because it seizes victims by the neck, a creature in the tirapheg’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.
to something like:
Constrict (Ex): A tirapheg deals 1d4+3 points of damage with a successful grapple check. Because it seizes victims by the neck, a creature in a tirapheg’s grasp cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a tirapheg must hit with both of its spike attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and constrict the victim bys strangling with its central arm.

About the only other thing is the creature’s odd illusion powers. 1E FF gives it
I f the creature is cornered in melee, with the fight going against it but a retreat impossible (it moves very slowly) it will project two illusions - replicas of itself - which it controls telepathically. These illusions will fight as the original creature and will take no damage themselves, though they will do damage to opponents if they are not recognised for what they are (treat as phantasmal force except that the illusions disappear only when the creature is killed or when i t s opponents retreat out of sight). At the instant the illusions are created by the creature, .it has the ability to generate a split-second blinding flash of light (to cover the appearance of the illusions) which causes all creatures and persons within a 30' range to stand confused for one melee round. The tirapheg and its illusions can attack in the melee round in which the illusions are created.

which I wrote, and I think Scott edited into:
Illusions (Su): A tirapheg can project two illusionary replicas of itself which it controls telepathically. These illusions fight as the original creature and take no damage themselves, though they deal damage to opponents if they are not recognized for what they are (this works like the silent image spell in all other respects, except that the illusions disappear only when the creature is killed or when its opponents retreat out of sight).

At the instant the illusions are created by the creature, it has the ability to generate a split-second blinding flash of light to cover the appearance of the illusions, which causes all creatures and persons within a 30 range to stand as if affected by a confusion spell for one melee round (no save to avoid). The tirapheg and its illusions attack in the melee round in which the illusions are created.

How well does that fit?

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
All-Around Vision (Ex): A tiraphegs’s three, equally spaced eyes give it a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks, and it can't be flanked.
Excellent.

BOZ said:
Do we want to keep the strangle attack as is?
Yep, and your rewrite looks good.

BOZ said:
About the only other thing is the creature’s odd illusion powers.
How well does that fit?
It looks good to me. Illusions are definitely not one of my strong areas, so I'm trusting your knowledge on this one. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Illusions aren’t exactly my strong suit either. ;) still, I can see some of that section that needs revision, if we take it piece by piece.

Illusions (Su): A tirapheg can project two illusionary replicas of itself which it controls telepathically.

that sentence is very sloppy. There’s got to be a way to phrase “mental control” over an illusion that doesn’t involve the word telepathy, which means something very different in modern D&D.

These illusions fight as the original creature and take no damage themselves, though they deal damage to opponents if they are not recognized for what they are (this works like the silent image spell in all other respects, except that the illusions disappear only when the creature is killed or when its opponents retreat out of sight).

this is a bit clumsy, but might not reed revision. Are there any illusion spells that allow the illusions to attack and deal damage if the victim fails the will save?

At the instant the illusions are created by the creature, it has the ability to generate a split-second blinding flash of light to cover the appearance of the illusions, which causes all creatures and persons within a 30 range to stand as if affected by a confusion spell for one melee round (no save to avoid).

we could replace some of that with a reference to lesser confusion, to cut down on the explanation. Optionally, we could also make this effect more like the flare spell.

The tirapheg and its illusions attack in the melee round in which the illusions are created.

this can probably be removed, or added to another section.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
yes, that does work for part of it:

Illusions (Su): A tirapheg can create two illusory duplicates of itself at the same time. The duplicates are partially real, and appear to be the same as the original. These duplicates remain under the tirapheg’s absolute command at all times, through a telepathic link.

just need to figure out how to state that they can attack and cause damage, but take no damage themselves.

what do you think of the lesser confusion/flare idea?

Edit: PHB, page 173 offers up a fair amount of info on illusions. it states that figments and glamers specifically cannot cause damage to creatures or objects. we would need these illusions to be mind-affecting. it might be of the shadow type, if successfully disbeleiving a shadow-illusion allows you to negate the damage. otherwise, perhaps a pattern is more appropriate (patterns are there for all to see, whereas phantasms exist only in the minds of those chosen by the caster).

Last edited:

Remove ads