Sensitivity Writers. AKA: avoiding cultural appropriate in writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
But this wasn't using an aspect of one culture. Tribal divisions exist in all kinds of groups. Native American tribes are just one kind of tribe. It is a category. It wasn't like I invoked a specific tribe

I know there are different kinds of tribes (which is why I referenced the tribes of Israel). But based on what you wrote, it didn't seem like you were referencing your inclusion of an African tribe. Or Slavic tribe. Context is important. How people are using the terms. It's like when when white people refer to their coffee as their spirit animal. They aren't referencing the ancient Celtic ideal of animal totems, they are referencing native beliefs.

Whereas almost every culture has had what we can call "tribes", those are old cultures that no longer exist. Native (and African and some others) tribes are a current thing that exists now. And they have a specific meaning, often with a spiritual meaning attached. So when white people go around calling their friends/neighborhoods/family as "my tribe", that's the literal definition of cultural appropriation. Again, not according to me, but to the people who actually are part of a tribe and are fed up with it.

No, you have not spoken with "a culture". That is a lie you repeat over and over again because your entire "Argument" (to be generous) depends on your ability to commune with a social construct. Even worse, you claim to speak with a group of constructs as there is no "native american culture". That is just a collective for several different cultures.

You have spoken with a few people who you deam to be part of a culture (which you likely selected because they support your way of thinking, ignoring all dissenters) and now claim that they speak for everyone and you are the herald of their will. But that is not the case.
If you really want to know what "a culture" things you have to define who is all part of that culture and then poll them (and i am sure a large part would vote "don't care"). Unless you do that don't pretend to know what a culture wants and speak for it.

I've intentionally left out references to the people I know personally (because that would anecdotal and only carries minimal weight in an academic discussion unless it's also supported by outside views), but all of my sources are from official citations of groups/people I have no association with. You're lying again by accusing me of selectively choosing only people who support me. Also threadcapping. I'm not a mod, but clearly you have no honest agenda here so I'm going to respectively ask you to stop.

Sacrosanct, I used tribe because I was responding to a poster who used that term. It was about tribalism

Last edited:

Sacrosanct, I would be curious how other posters on your side feel about that. I think people calling their neighborhood, family, etc, their tribe isn’t something most people would regard as CA or bad. But I do think it is an example of the kind of excess the concept leads to in discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases