[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse: Introductions

Maerdwyn

First Post
It had been good, and not altogether surprising, to see the captain here, even if Aaron did think it was barkin' at a knot to keep chasin' that lost ship. Even if she really was somewhere on this damned mudrock, the captain looked as broke and desperate as ever.

But Aaron just hadn't expected to see another familiar face in this tiny place -especially not that pretty one. The mud and wind here tried their best to dampen her looks, but they only succeeded in reminding him of another rainy night years ago on Eavestown Docks of Persephone.

Four Years earlier...

Aaron was sittin' down the bar a few stools from the redhead, amused as she rebuffed the advances of almost every guy in the place, each in their turn. She seemed almost oblivious to them, instead watchin' the rain reflected in the mirror behind the bar. He was considering striking up a conversation with her himself when he realized it was more than raindrops that held her attention.

Following her gaze, Aaron saw, through window and out 'cross the street, Paula, one of the Docks' madames, kicking up a cow with one of her girls. It looked like Xiao Feng, Aaron thought -- One of the young ones. Paula had a couple of her goons with her, and Aaron saw one of them give the girl a savage kick. Skimmin'? Maybe. Or maybe a runaway. When he looked back, though, Aaron was a was surprised to see the redhead up and out of her stool, moving toward the saloon's exit.

Aaron knew Paula by reputation - if that wisp of a redhead stuck her nose in there, things weren't going to end well.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Tatjana

The woman's stride was determined, and without hesitation, she walked up to the violent bunch.

Leave her!” she demanded firmly, her words cutting sharply through the noise, but of course, the ruffians didn't follow. She was just one more pretty girl, what could she possibly do? In fact, they were already contemplating what they could do...

Paula nodded to one of her goons and he took off to intercept the redhead. He walked towards her lazily, waving his arms as if there was nothing.

“Nothing to see here, we are just having a bit of fu... ugh... fuc...”

It was just an eyeblink and he was on the ground holding his right hand, pain clearly visible in his now angry face. She didn't even slow down for him. She just moved past, while grabbing and twisting the fingers on his right hand with one smooth move. Those close enough could hear the cracking of his finger bones, enough to take that one out for the moment, giving him something else to think about.

“Leave her, I said.”

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Aaron stares for a moment at the redhead as she heads for the door. Mildly surprised that she's sticking her nose where it don't belong. He rises and tosses a few platinum on the counter near the bartender (enough to cover him and the lady). His hand comes to rest on his pistol as he pushes the door open just a second after it swings shut. He never did like Paula and girl has caught his interest.

Aaron starts carefully angling around behind the group pausing to spit out his tabacco, using the girls lack of sultblety to help cover his movements. He almost trips as he sees her drop the goon so effortlessly. 'Damn,' he thinks, 'glad I'm not tangling with her.'

He countinues to move in behind the group getting in close before saying, gun held low, "Best do as the lady says Paula, this kind of thing can be bad for business."

[sblock=rolls]

Stealth (often opposed by Alertness+Perception)
Agility+Covert/Stealth doesn't always have to be agility though its the most common. (1d10+1d8=10)the idea was to get him within spitting distance (ie. point blank range 10ft which confers a +1 step bonus for firearms)

back down - Willpower+Influence(intimidation if you have that specialty)
usually opposed by Willpower+Discipline.
Willpower+Influence (1d8+1d6=9)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
By the time Aaron took his position, the redhead stood over the howling brute, a grim-faced mirror of the other tough, who holds the girl by the hair as she whimpered at his feet. Both move from their victims at the same time, too, the man shoving the girl roughly to the ground and interposing himself between Paula and the advancing redhead.

No one seemed to notice Aaron as he moved to the group's flank (because the confrontation is taking place against a wall, he cannot get directly behind them.)

[Sblock=Aaron] Your ability to get into the best position undetected allows you to see Paula easing a revolver from its holster, hammer cocked. The redhead would have been screened from this sight by the big guy in front of her. Paula has not raised the gun at this point, and when you speak, she reholsters it, but neither straps it in nor uncocks the hammer. [/sblock]

When Aaron speaks, the still-standing brute's face whips toward him for a second and he seems to have visible trouble deciding who to focus his uncertain glare on - the fight looks to have gone out of him.

Paula, though, remains calm as she steps out from behind her muscle, palms visible. "Well, ma'am, I do apologize for this trouble - mighty glad you was here to calm things down; I reckon these boys did get a little out of control. In fact, if you want to keep educatin' them (One goon's eyes widen at this, but he seems too flummoxed to speak. The other just mewls uselessly.) while I take this poor girl home and get her out of the rain and warmed up, I'd be much obliged. I'm afraid I got no use for violent boys like this in my employ." Sweetly, she coos to the girl, loud enough for all to hear: "Come Xiao-Xiao*, let's go home. You want to come home with Paula, don't you? Paula will keep you safe..."

The girl, who is maybe twelve, looks up, her tight-drawn lips dripping blood, her eyes darting between all present. She nods weakly.

[Sblock=Rolls] Alertness+Perception: Paula, d6+d6 = 6, Goon1, d6=1; Goon2(broken hand), d6=2. Willpower+Intimidate: Paula d10+d12+1d2: 9 (fail); Goon 1: d6+d8 = 6 (fail), Goon 2: d6+d8 = 3 (fail)[/Sblock]

*"Little one," literally, "Small small"

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Tatjana

When the guy addresses Paula, Tatjana's eyes wander to where she heard the voice for a moment. It was good to see others also taking a stand against this violence.

“You didn't exactly look like you were stopping them. Beating up children like that, what kind of people do you think you are!? This has to stop!”

She still advances towards them, slowly, not intent to let them slip away that easily.

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
[OOC: Both characters roll Initiative (Agility+Awareness), and Awareness+Perception . Their initiatives: Paula: d8+d6=9, Goon1: d6+d6=4, Goon2: d6+d6=6, Xiao Feng: d6+d6=8 ]

Last edited:

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Aaron grimaces as he it becomes clear that violence will ensue. His eye catches Paula reaching for her gun, and his pistol snaps up and roars.

[sblock=rolls]
initiative
Initiative (1d10+1d12=12)

attack aiming for her gun arm
- Agility+Guns+1step range -1step limb called shot (+1d2 plot point)

Agility+Guns+1plotpoint (1d10+1d6+1d2=10)
assuming she fails a dodge roll, additional damage-
pistol rating(1d6) +2 step for specific target
pitol, +2step for limb shot (1d10=9)

Paula needs to make an average endurance roll or her arm is immobile.

if Aaron does actually get attacked, he'll dodge taking the penalty on next rounds actions
Agility+Athletics (1d10+1d6=11)

[/sblock]

Aaron looks at the goons and snarls, "Get out of here!"

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
The bullet takes Paula in the arm, and it goes through and through, striking the wall behind her and sending a chip flying.

Bleeding badly, she nonethless stays silent. The softness of her last words is gone and her face is fixed on the advancing woman as she swings her own pistol, training it dead on the fallen girl. The hammer is cocked, but she doesn't fire.

"All right, now. Made made yer point, and now yer done. Gonna stop right where y'are, and I'm gonna leave. The girl can stay with you or come w'me. Don't care which. But you take a step, or Slick over there don't drop his piece, and she's going somewhere else real fast.

Xiao Feng is silent, staring only at the gun barrel pointed at her.

[sblock=Rolls] Paula: Innate defense roll (Roll only Agility when you don't declare a dodge action before an attack comes, which I didn't: d8 = 6 (fail). Endurance roll: d8+d10=12 (success) [/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
Tatjana

Tatjana stops as Paula threatens to shoot the girl. What a pathetic creature, that woman was.

“Just leave!”

Remove ads