[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse - OOC.

Thanee

First Post
...but adding them up it came to 50. Was there a trait that boosted that or something else I missed that I ought to be looking at for my character?

Edit: I think I have it it is from the Asset/Complications right?

Yep.

48 = Sum of +Attributes, +Assets and -Complications.

Though, one shouldn't stray too far from the 48 for Attributes. 50 and 52 maybe are fine, anything more is pushing it. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Shayuri

First Post
At the present time, I shouldn't be thought of as having a claim on any particular role or shipboard position.

So yeah. Engineer's up for grabs.

Fenris

Adventurer
Ok first draft of the nuts and bolts of my character. Those of you more familiar with the system, if you would be so kind as to look him over.

ATTRIBUTES

Alertness d10
Intelligence d4
Willpower d6

Initiative d12+d2+d10

Life Points 16
Plot Points 6
Adv. Points 0

SKILLS (68)

Covert d6
- Stealth d8

Discipline d6

Guns d6
-Assault Weapons d8
-Pistols d10
-Rifles d10

Influence d4
- Streetwise d6

Perception d6
-Gambling d8

Planet vehicles d4

Survival d4

Unarmed Combat d6
-Brawl d8

TRAITS

Branded (Minor Complication)
Amorous (Minor Complication)
Slow Learner: Mechanical Engineering (Minor Complication)
Slow Learner: Technical Engineering (Minor Complication)
Chip on the Shoulder (Major Complication)

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Ok first draft of the nuts and bolts of my character. Those of you more familiar with the system, if you would be so kind as to look him over.

My eye immediately caught on your Influence skill. You have to have a d6 before you can specialize (or rather before you have to). I quickly added up your skills thinking it may have been a typo and got 70, you should double check that.

That is quite a few complications . . . if its your first time playing the system . . .

Without more character concept info its hard to comment much. We do seem to be getting a fair bit of duplications between the three of us . . . I would note that the streetwise specialty falls under both Covert and Influence skills so you might be able to reduce things there.

For fighting type skills that you overlooked . . . I could be useful to have someone on the team with the Heavy weapons skill (turrets, rockets, ship-mounted weapons (wich are rare)). Also the Ranged weapon skill is missing (throw a beer bottle, knife, grenade, bow and such). Not sure how these would fit in with your concept. I imagine you deliberately avoided the melee weapon category.

Thanee

First Post
We could (as is; or with modifications) take one of the pre-generated ships from the book(s).

The Serenity RPG book has one or two (the Aces & Eights, IIRC, and maybe another), I think, and at least one of the others as well; not sure which it was, but I think Sixshooters & Spaceships (that one definitely has a number of ships listed, but the ones I mean are specifically meant to start a campaign with... those also have a complete crew listed). Will take a look later, when I'm at home.

Bye
Thanee

ethandrew

First Post
I'm in the same boat as Shayuri, I want to play in this game, but nothing is coming to my mind as to "what I want to play." Do we have a breakdown of who's playing what?

Maerdwyn

First Post
Starting Locale

In case it helps with getting a feel for characters, etc., this is where you will be starting off. :)

Liann Xin, fourth moon of Greenleaf, which is the fourth planet orbiting Red Sun. Population, ~30,000 permanent, with another ~25,000 at any given time. 60% of populaiton lives in the largest city Concord.

attachment.php

Liann Xin is, pendin’ on who’s doin’ the talkin’, either a testament to the Alliance’s breakthroughs in terraforming technology, or to its gorram pigheadedness. Some even might see it for what it is: a tiny hunk of rock wobbling ‘round Greenleaf that never had no business being home to any folk in their right mind, either before or after the Alliance got there.

Until about twenty years ago, more or less, the Ar He Tong had been using its caves to store plants and fungi from the Greenleaf jungles – cold near-vacuum made it perfect for preserving and processing the stuff for the drug trade – but that ain’t the same thing as being a nice place t’live. Still, when the Alliance starts its war on drugs on Greenleaf, someone gets the bright idea that the Liann Xin side of things needs shuttin’ down too, and that the best way to do that is occupy the place. Never mind that this moon don’t have enough mass to hold an atmo nat’rally, or that the ice caps taken together couldn’t make a decent glass of lemonade – Lian Meng xing shu Lian Meng xing. ("The Alliance will do that which the Alliance will do.")

The Ar He got driven off pretty quick; the whole point of using the place was nobody cared about it. Why fight the purple bellies when there were a hundred places like that across the 'Verse that would work just as good? They took off so fast that some their caves is probly still packed with narcotic goodness they couldn't manage to get off world. Might be a good score if someone knew where to look (and don't mind taking the chance the Tong would find out later).

Anyway, after the Tong scarpered, the moved terraforming equipment in wholesale, and set a pack of scientists and engineers on the problem of making the dirtball "habitable." They planted oxygen-producing trees near the cities, and spread nitrogen-producing bacteria across the rest of planet, and got a weak atmo - then used convection fields to keep the oxygen concentrated round the cites (Remember your suits if you go out to the badlands). Water was a bigger problem than the air, even. They took ten years to ferry it from Greenleaf to fill some small lakes on the light side of the moon. 'Course, there weren't water enough for the whole rock, so they needs a way to constrain the weather system they built so it only watered crops and not bare ground. They're still workin' on that.

Oh, they got the weather goin' and everythin, but those convection fields that keep the oh-two in place make the wind pretty onary. Them that live up there basically got a choice 'tween blazing red sun and a hurricane (which seem to blow up with vary strength every few weeks). Still ain't found the middle ground, and the colonists got pretty gorram ao nao.

Officially, of course, Liann Xin was successfully terraformed, and the Alliance has set to keeping up appearances. Weather is still a problem for people, but 'stead of counting on the eggeads to fix the weather, Alliance bought up tons and tons of titanium to reinforce contruction on Liann Xin against the winds. (Someone must be making a fortune on that boondoggle. This is still 'bout the best place around Red Sun to sell a junker for scrap). Most got off the gorram rock; those that stayed were either too poor to pull up stakes, true believers, or scientists paid enough they was willing to work on the problem.

The Alliance stuck to it, though. 'Stead of giving up on the place, they kept trying to make it more appealing. Most outward successful step they took was to move the old Concord Bazaar moonside - folk go where the coin is, even if they gotta brave a hurricance to do it. So, Concord's where most of the action on Liann Xin is these days (and where you find yerself now).

There are are some local farmers and laborers in the city, and your regular traffic of merchants and customers, crew and guards, whores and politicians (mostly low-level rabble rousers, lookin to make a name). The locals are a generally low key lot, and the offworlders are like offworlders anywhere else, except may be a little more weather beaten.

About the only thing hardy enough to survive Liann Xin's climate is millet. No livestock to speak of, except for a few horses and dogs, and so unless yer happy being a bored vegetarian, you 'll burn through coin on imported food real fast in Concord. Other stuff is reasonably priced, and there 's a decent enough selsection of good available. Getting a ship through official channels here is tough, because of the government's voracious appetite for metals and equipment to be put towards the terraforming effort. There are a great number of beaten down ships at the scrap yard, though, and you could always sign on with one of the merchant crews if you aren't already signed up.

Alliance law is in play in Concord (and in the other tiny settlements on Liann Xin), but the prefects (mosta them, that is) got a kind of resigned, "Aw, ba shiu"("F it") air about them so long as the trouble isn't too big. Away from the richer markets, you can wear iron, so long as you don't go waving it about too much, and don't send someone up the hill for what shoulda' just been a good bar fight. Nearer the stores, well, that depends on who's set up shop and who's mindin' it for 'em.

Notable places in Concord include:

Tai Po Market, the higher end section of the bazaar
Wan Chai, the lower end section of the bazaar
Second Life, the moon's largest scrap yard
The Foundry, a metal works and mining company
Companion Guild Hall, located in Tai Po.
ITT, the Alliance Institute for Terraforming Technologies; lots of (mostly dead end) jobs available for science-types here
Ihilani Gardens, an upscale hotel and bar/lounge, popular with moneyed off-worlders.
McGlynn's, an Alliance watering hole
Qin Tan Hua, a mahjohng den
The Prefecture, the seat of local government and law enforcement
Millet farms, located around the outskirts of the city.
Arvid Sea, the largest body of water on Liann Xin - Concord is on it's western shore.

Attachments

• Liann-Xin-closeup.jpg
    Liann-Xin-closeup.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Ethandrew, glad to hear you are still up for it. :) Here are the characters that have been made/proposed so far (please correct me if I mischaracterize anything, folks):

Thanee will be running Tatjana, a streetwise martial artist who protects the weak.

Fenris will be running a gunslinger with gambling issues and a chip on his shoulder

Thondor will run Aaron "Slick" Craig, a pilot with a shady background and some tech engineering skills

Tailspinner has expressed interest in running the captain - need any additional help Tailspinner?

Shayuri and Ethandrew are still considering character concepts

Rhun may come in a little later.

The crew could use someone with the following skills, but you don't necessarily need to base a character concept on them:

mechanical engineering
Negotiation/persuasion/barter, etc,
Medicine
Various knowledges
Etc.

But, I will find a way to feature any skills you want to take and want to make important to your character.

Let me know if I can do anything to help you along.
Medicine

Last edited:

Remove ads