(OOC) DND 3.5 The Flames of War

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
The approaches I've seen before:
1. Everyone posts as they can, DM orders the actions by initiative and adjudicates the actions by intent if there was something impossible (i.e. one character kills the enemy earlier in the initiative, but later in posts)
2. Actions happen in the order posted (more often than not, the DM also provides attack, damage (for OAs), remaining HP and AC of the monsters), players can narrate hits, misses and kills
3. Rarest: strict initiative, posts in order however long it takes.

Variations: some group monsters and players in several groups, others (most) simply lump monsters in one group players in the other and the initiative is really only relevant in the first round (flat-footed before you act etc)
Some post saves of the monsters too (rare)

Reactions are handled by announcing in advance your intent - otherwise what happens is that DM finishes the round, player X 3 days later says, I'm not hit I did <ability to avoid hits>, a week lost to retcon. If you didn't post probably or possible reaction, you didn't get it. Also, sometimes, DM uses your reaction if it seems something likely to be used without consulting you (killing blows, high crits, low HP, whatever)

In living 4e Mal Malenkirk posted his rules of initiative at the start of every adventure and most games adopted it (public monster info (relevant, not every power), initiative only at the start, map updates (we used google sheets so everyone could move their character and monsters affected by powers on their turn)

@OneCrappy DM

A couple of things:

1. I am camping this weekend and will have no access to internet. (there is no cell service at all and I will only have limited (emergency use) of a sat-phone. I'll be home by Sunday and can post either Sunday night or Monday morning. But I'm ok with you controlling my character. Link to character stats is in the 'mini sheet' at the top of every IC post.

2. Byron has improved Trip and Improved Disarm. I will always post my intention to use those feats and let you narrate the result because they are opposed rolls. I'm also fine with you rolling attacks of opportunity. I'll let you judge whether to trip an opponent or straight attack in those situations.

Alternatively, I could 'pre-roll' an attack that you could use for AoO. But that seems weird to me.

OneCrappy DM

Explorer
Then I declare the encounter started as soon as I heard it coming 😜

No worries, I actually didn't know that. But surprise round works functionally the same
It's another trivial matter, the creature won't survive long but in order for the party to get a surprise round they have to not be spotted. Once the creature knows enemies are there it is reacting in that round, if there were multiple creatures and only a few had spotted the party, the unaware combatants would not get a reaction that round. The same goes for the party, if you do not spot any of enemies then they get a surprise round, but if you notice enemies then you get to act as an aware combatant party members who didn't don't receive a standard action that round.

Because he spotted the party and you all heard him coming no surprise round will commence.

OneCrappy DM

Explorer
As for initiative, I think I will go with option 2. That is when combat begins and it is the parties turn order of who posts first, aoo will be added as necessary and players can adjust narration of action as they would like to do it themselves. This can remove some trivial time wasted and hopefully streamline our experience.

doghead

thotd
Definitely should have taken a rank in KN Nature and Geography given Eos's background. It feels a bit discordant, 30 years travelling the wilderness, but doesn't know anymore than the "townies" he is hanging out with :)

Regarding the tunnel, the indentation on the right side (looking in), is that an alcove, or the start of another passage? Just trying to decide if it would make a better hiding place for an ambush with the intention of getting behind whatever is arriving.

As for initiative, I think I will go with option 2. That is when combat begins and it is the parties turn order of who posts first, aoo will be added as necessary and players can adjust narration of action as they would like to do it themselves. This can remove some trivial time wasted and hopefully streamline our experience.

Sounds like a plan to me. Lets see how it plays.

@TaranTheWanderer Hope that you are having a good time.

thotd

OneCrappy DM

Explorer
Right so I’ll let you know that it’s the start of another corridor with rooms and would require entry for more details.

As for the knowledge check they are humanoids so it would be local, despite all this knowledge checks aren’t wisdom. You know how to survive in the woods and navigate you just don’t know all the flora and fauna names, or traits that make them different.

Treasure: (bookmarking this post)
  • 50 silver (8 each)+1
  • Small sized Light wooden shield?
  • Dagger (camp)
  • Map (Byron)

For now, I'm going to just keep updating this post. I have it bookmarked. I'm not sure the best way to track things but I know that tracking treasure in a PBP can be a nightmare.

I'm marking people's names on stuff. Put it on your character sheet.

If you want something, and your name's not on it, let me know and I'll edit.

Last edited:

Remove ads