Serious: D&D Addiction

Christian Walker

First Post
Khas said:
I laugh at those who call D&D evil. It certainly isn't, but it seems TOO fun. Has this ever happened to anyone?

I wouldn't sweat it. I mean, are you skipping work to game? Are you buying minis and dice instead of paying your rent? Are you insisting that your lady friend call you Balkor the Impailer when you two are in the sack?

Even if you answered yes to any of those, I wouldn't say you were an addict. I'd just say you need to make better choices.

Regarding the limited conversation topics. You, like me, are a man. If a conversation doesn;t involve my hobby (D&D), sports, or work, I'm really not into it. Men aren't world class conversationalists. That's why we grunt, point, and hine the pratice of selective deafness to an artform.

Loki3

First Post
Lets see here...........

A. I have a job.
B. I have 2 daughters.
C. I play AD&D once a week.
D. I am a member of 5 forums, and own one myself dedicated to D&D and RPG's.

Do I think alot of AD&D yes I do.
Do I troll forums ALL the time about AD&D yes I do.
Do I make maps, and jot down ideas all the time about AD&D yes I do.

Do I have a problem. NO I dont.

Why.? Simple.
Because even though I love the game, and even though I play it alot and think about it alot I realize I have other things and responsibilites also.

I dont know you nor do I know exactly how much you really think and live it, but the key is balance. I have several hobbies AD&D is my main one. I do other stuff also its just that AD&D is the most enjoyable thus I do it the most.

Breakdaddy

First Post
I check these forums almost daily, sometimes several times in a single day. I have 6 shelves of RPG material (mostly D&D) and most of my friends play or have played D&D. I dont think Im addicted to the game. I can talk about other things. But I sincerely enjoy hanging out with people who share my interest in D&D and RPGs in general. I dont see anything wrong with that. I think its just human nature to want to hang out with people who share common interests with you.

Philip

Explorer
Khas, from what I have read I don't feel you are addicted. Having an addiction is not a matter of how much time you spent on something, or how much fun you are having doing it, but what function it has in your life. I always use the following simple rule;

You are addicted to something when NOT doing/taking that something causes you to feel bad.

If you get agitated when you can't play for a few weeks, if you get bored when your friends don't want to have conversation about the game, then you should watch out. If that's not the case, then by al means enjoy your fun while it lasts!

pogre

Legend
You know I am less concerned about addiction than the focus on a hobby. I sometimes wonder what I could do if I focused purely on being great at one thing. I spend countless hours working and thinking about games - I worry about that investment from time-to-time.

I saw a 60 minutes interview with Bill Parcels a few years ago and they asked him why he was a good football coach. He responded that he was not a very interesting or well-rounded individual - all he thinks about and works on is football. Focused passion like that amazes me. If Coach Parcells was well-rounded I doubt he would be a great football coach.

I wrestle with this allocation of time for hobbies, which is probably the greatest waste of time one can indulge in.

I have to think about this some more...at my painting desk.

fusangite

First Post
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."
- William Blake, Proverbs of Hell

I have a highly addictive personality. But I find that addictions to hobbies or other not strictly physical things are best dealt with through indulgence than abstinence. Try playing too much. Chances are that you'll get a little tired of gaming so much after a while. If you're still just as immersed in six months from now, consider someone else's suggestion but I find that obsessions/addictions to things other than drugs, usually work themselves out.

Oh, and if you're in your early 20s, please take my advice to heart. Everyone assumes that people in their early 20s behave in an addictive fashion and makes way more allowances for it.

caudor

Adventurer
pogre said:
You know I am less concerned about addiction than the focus on a hobby. I sometimes wonder what I could do if I focused purely on being great at one thing. I spend countless hours working and thinking about games - I worry about that investment from time-to-time.

I saw a 60 minutes interview with Bill Parcels a few years ago and they asked him why he was a good football coach. He responded that he was not a very interesting or well-rounded individual - all he thinks about and works on is football. Focused passion like that amazes me. If Coach Parcells was well-rounded I doubt he would be a great football coach.

I wrestle with this allocation of time for hobbies, which is probably the greatest waste of time one can indulge in.

I have to think about this some more...at my painting desk.

Wow, what an insightful post. After reading it twice, I realize that I wrestle with the same feelings every now and then.

But is it really a waste of time? I think back over the great games I've had, the friends I've met, and the all those rainy days I spent focused on my hobby...dreaming up exciting adventures to share with others. Yeah, there's always going to be an opportunity costs, but I think most of us gamers will look back years from now with no major regrets. Having fun with friends is life well spent. However, I do have to remind myself of this every now and then.

pogre

Legend
caudor said:
But is it really a waste of time? I think back over the great games I've had, the friends I've met, and the all those rainy days I spent focused on my hobby...dreaming up exciting adventures to share with others. Yeah, there's always going to be an opportunity costs, but I think most of us gamers will look back years from now with no major regrets. Having fun with friends is life well spent. However, I do have to remind myself of this every now and then.

Excellent points. I agree time spent with friends doing what you enjoy is well spent. It is also worthwhile to reflect on our time and push forward without regrets - much as you pointed out. As usual, it's all about healthy balance.

Not to get overboard with semantics, but this is not addiction, per se. Nicotine, alcohol, heroin, those are addictions. Clinically speaking, what you are talking about is a compulsion. It's not a fine line.

Not a doctor, just a Concerned Citizen.

I think most parents would be happy to have children "addicted" to D&D, as opposed to TV, video games, or pro wrestling :). It's inherently social, it teaches math and probability skills, improves language and vocabulary, promotes non-linear thinking and problem resolution, and teaches one to set goals and achieve them. I not only think it's healthy to play, I think it should be taught in schools alongside gym and home ec.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."
- William Blake, Proverbs of Hell

"Dude, is the wisdom bonus from that palace inherent or enhancement?"
-Me, just now.

Last edited:

Cyronius

Villager
Im Really worried I might be addicted to D&D too. I get no enjoyment out of life unless im playing it. I am so attached to my character that I want to be them and fantasize about it. Its becoming a genuine problem and not playing because my DM cant dm for an unfortold ammount of time is making me just not want to be awake.

So unless you have these problems i think your okay and can function on a basic level even while playing DND

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases