• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serious question - are you going to invest in D&DNext?

Wicht

Hero
I ended up never buying any 4e books, though a friend did give me some last year. Pathfinder shone good enough that I simply never got around to it and just kept giving Paizo my DnD budget. So far, nothing I am seeing from the 5e development team is really impressing me. If the game is OGL, I will certainly buy it. If not, chances are looking like I will wait and see... and might put it off like I just kept putting off getting the 4e books.

That being said, I am slightly surprised at the lack of support it has already garnered as the next new shiny. That does not bode well to me and I hope the team pulls off a surprise and blows us all out of the water.

I might also be more tempted if they went the Pathfinder route of combining Player and DM material into a single core rulebook, rather than the traditional three.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I ended up never buying any 4e books, though a friend did give me some last year. Pathfinder shone good enough that I simply never got around to it and just kept giving Paizo my DnD budget. So far, nothing I am seeing from the 5e development team is really impressing me. If the game is OGL, I will certainly buy it. If not, chances are looking like I will wait and see... and might put it off like I just kept putting off getting the 4e books.

That being said, I am slightly surprised at the lack of support it has already garnered as the next new shiny. That does not bode well to me and I hope the team pulls off a surprise and blows us all out of the water.

I might also be more tempted if they went the Pathfinder route of combining Player and DM material into a single core rulebook, rather than the traditional three.

I never bought any 4E books either.

However, as for the lack of support, I'm sure once WotC's PR engine gets going, there will be support. I think they learned their lesson from last time that alienating a portion of your fan base may not be the best way to promote your product.

I wouldn't be surprised if 5E came in a box set rather than three core rulebooks. (Actually, I *will* be surprised if it's 3 core rulebooks.)

Zardnaar

Legend
They have confirmed there will be a DMG. Likely 3 books although they may do a boxed set as well. My PFRPG book is a bit large for my tastes prefer 3 books or something basic like the old red box.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
They have confirmed there will be a DMG. Likely 3 books although they may do a boxed set as well. My PFRPG book is a bit large for my tastes prefer 3 books or something basic like the old red box.

3 or more books *in* a box set sounds about right.

Libertad

Hero
D&D Next doesn't have anything unique or cool-looking enough in it to attract me as a buyer anytime soon. I'm also not very impressed with a lot of their design decisions.

interfactor

First Post
I refuse to buy any books without a PDF bundled. I've been spoiled by Pathfinder. If they come with PDFs, then I'll buy the core rule books.
That said, if they reissue Planescape or if they have licensed Castle Zagyg from Gygax games, all bets are off. I'm in.

interfactor

First Post
meh. I was excited at the start of the playtest, but I lost interest along the way. I think the expertise dice did it. It didn't feel like D&D anymore and with that my enthusiasm died.

If they bundle PDFs with the core rules I'll probably buy them, but really only to collect.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads