• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Serious question - are you going to invest in D&DNext?

innerdude

Legend
Can you please explain what you mean by this? I really don't understand.

I think in this context he's using "politically correct" as a synonym for "centrist," meaning that it's "the edition of D&D that's too afraid to stray too far to the left or right, lest by so doing WotC offends some other portion of their fanbase that hasn't already been alienated."

Of course the ironic part is that by this point, pretty much every customer WotC has ever had could viably and understandably have any number of "beefs" with the company.

fifty

First Post
I'll probably buy the PHB, DMG, MM and run it for at least a bit to give it chance to impress me.
But then I've got 4th ed for that reason and I wasn't impressed that time.

The real question for me is, will it have longevity and be a system we use repeatedly, or just be relegated to a one campaign only effort for me and my players.

I really hope it's the former! :)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I don't plan to invest in Next at all - I was done with WotC when they pulled 3.5 books from the bookshelves before the release of 4e. It doesn't matter if it's the best RPG system ever created - WotC will never get money from me again.

Kursk

Banned
Banned
Unlike when I got burned buying 4e sight unseen, I will FULLY study 5th Ed in a book store before deciding on a purchase.

diaglo

Adventurer
I don't plan to invest in Next at all - I was done with WotC when they pulled 3.5 books from the bookshelves before the release of 4e. It doesn't matter if it's the best RPG system ever created - WotC will never get money from me again.

i was pretty much here.
however, they did release the new OD&D(1974) wood grain box. so they might get some money from me.
but to answer the original question ask at the start of this thread. no, 5ed won't see any of my money.

athos

First Post
I will not invest any money in D&D next. I have no use for WotC after their fiasco with D&D 4. I was a big fan of Living Greyhawk, and the conventions we had were a lot of fun playing LG. My daughter and I used to travel all over the central states with friends to go to conventions, play LG and meet new people. It was a blast. But WotC in it's greed to get people to switch to 4th ed., nixed LG. So... I am not going to buy anymore WotC products ever.

Now I play Pathfinder. I don't like it as much as 3.5 and LG, it doesn't have the same community LG did, but it is a decent game and I feel no need to try D&D Next, especially without an apology to all of LGers from WotC for how they handled killing the game we enjoyed.

Business is tough. When you make a game and you disrespect your customers, it is silly in my opinion to expect them to just come back because you are making a new edition. WotC blew it, Pathfinder and Paizo get my business now.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I honestly don't know.
Curiosity + a D&D lover versus the ghosts of 4E.

I want to buy it and give it a fair shake, but I still feel so burned by 4E. As far as I know, a lot of the people who made 4E are making 5E.
I joined in on a single playtest a few months ago and it still felt way too much like 4E minus the powers.

It's also hard to get fair and even opinions for ENWorld since they're all over the place, and most people are usually very for an edition when it first comes out, or they pan it without truly reading a book.

DM Howard

Explorer
I've been thinking about this some more and I honestly don't think I'm going to bother with it now. It has nothing to do with it being good or bad for my tastes, but more has to do with "the ship has sailed" kind of attitude I have towards it now, especially since I've discovered Hackmaster. I'm curious to see how they go about it, but it's too little too late for me, I'm still smarting from the sucker punch that was the Virtual Table that was supposed to be there at the launch of 4E.

C4

Explorer
I've been thinking about this some more and I honestly don't think I'm going to bother with it now. It has nothing to do with it being good or bad for my tastes, but more has to do with "the ship has sailed" kind of attitude I have towards it now, especially since I've discovered Hackmaster. I'm curious to see how they go about it, but it's too little too late for me, I'm still smarting from the sucker punch that was the Virtual Table that was supposed to be there at the launch of 4E.
I don't particularly care whether you buy 5e or ignore it, but as an aside, the 4e VTT fell through because one of the important designers died in a murder-suicide.

Remove ads