Set Your Campaign's Origin Story With A Session Zero

This past Saturday, I ran a game of Fate Accelerated (like last year) at a local gaming store for Free RPG Day. A couple of the players were unfamiliar with the game, but this isn't unusual since a lot of people use events like this to play games that they wouldn't normally get to play. But running sessions like this point out the importance of Session Zeroes in gaming, even if the session is a mini one.

This past Saturday, I ran a game of Fate Accelerated (like last year) at a local gaming store for Free RPG Day. A couple of the players were unfamiliar with the game, but this isn't unusual since a lot of people use events like this to play games that they wouldn't normally get to play. But running sessions like this point out the importance of Session Zeroes in gaming, even if the session is a mini one.

Photo by William Iven on Unsplash

One of the strengths of Fate Accelerated is that you can quickly go from zero to sixty, creating a quick and dirty session on the fly, explain the basics of the rules and create characters for an entire group in a little bit of time. I've done what I call improvised games at parties and events for a number of years now, back about fifteen years ago or so I used Chad Underkoffler's generic PDQ rules for these sorts of games. Now, I use Fate Accelerated. For me, using a simplified ruleset makes this process easier, but it can be done with whatever ruleset that you are most comfortable with using. For more complicated games, rather than creating characters at the table, providing pregens might help speed things up.

A session zero isn't a new​ idea, but it is a very useful one.

So, what is a session zero? I'm sure that you've read about them being mentioned here at EN World, as well as on various gaming blogs and social media. I think that there can be some quibbling over what exactly constitutes a session zero, so I am going to talk about my best practices as a game master. As with any tips for running role-playing games, weigh what the person says and adapt the parts that will work best for you, and for the people that you game with. Honestly, there's really no "one size fits all" answer for running, or playing in, role-playing games. Most likely I will bounce around a little bit, introduce concepts that I use and then try to tie them all together.

The name "session zero" comes from it being a session where your gaming group meets, but rather than playing you are creating the characters, and sometimes creating or customizing the world of the campaign. You might start the game during this time, but the primary focus will be upon character creation, and behind the scenes development.

An integral part of a session zero for me is character creation. I think that character creation is best served as a group activity because doing it as a group helps to foster bonds both between the characters of the group, and between the characters and the world that they inhabit. By all means, have a concept or two ready for the session zero but you probably shouldn't come with a fully realized character for the game. I've talked before about how I prepare a character for a game where I'm a player, and I encourage similar approaches for the players when I am running a game.

A big part of the idea of a session zero is to make sure that everyone is on the same page when it comes to things like what sort of activities will the campaign focus upon (Will it be heavy on exploration? Will it focus on investigation? Will there be a lot of combat?), what sorts of characters will fit best into the game, what genre(s) will the campaign focus upon, and etc.

Things like genre are probably the least of the concerns of a session zero. If you're playing D&D, more than likely the group will be playing some sort of fantasy-oriented campaign. If the group has decided that they want a Starfinder game, it will be some sort of science fantasy game. Really, the only times that you will likely worry about the genre of the game will be if you are playing something with a more generic focus, like Fate or GURPS. More likely to be discussed in the session zero will be what particular genre tropes or sub-genres will the game focus upon. Fantasy is a pretty broad umbrella and finding shelter under it are writers with approaches and styles as differing as Howard, Tolkien and Moorcock.

If you are going to have an ongoing problem with a campaign, this is where it is likely to first pop up. For example, if a player was hoping for Lieber-influenced urban fantasy and the group wants a more pastoral mode of fantasy, in the style of Tolkien, this is going to cause strife in the game because not everyone will be enjoying themselves as much as the others.

Even if the GM already has the broad strokes of a campaign setting in mind, drilling down on the specifics of the setting with the players can help. You (as the GM) get an idea for what is important to the players. You (as the Players) have a greater level of engagement to the campaign. When players are engaged in the setting, they're going to be more active at the gaming table. This means a better game for everyone at the table.

Despite mentioning character creation first, I do it after drilling down the setting. Why? You have a better idea of the character options that will be available for players once you have a better idea of the setting. Some, like the game creation section of Fate Core, suggest starting this way as well. I think that the GM coming up with the setting, and players coming up with their characters, is a symbiotic process. One should feed off of the other. If, as the GM, you have an idea for an organization that you want to plague the character during the campaign, and one of the players comes up with an organization that their character has broken away from, you can fit these two things together. By personalizing a conflict within the campaign, you ensure that a player will want their character to engage with that conflict. Everyone wins!

As a GM you might want to keep in mind that the session zero never really ends. Even once play has begun players will point out the things that are important to them, whether those things are there or not. If you start seeding the campaign with the things that players are looking for, it hooks them into the game. As long as you don't do this in a heavy-handed manner, the players will think that this was what was intended all along.

I think that I have mentioned this before, but in an old school D&D game from a few years ago the player who was playing the game's Cleric was making their character look for infestations of Chaos in the border town that was the group's base of operations. As the Cleric looked, I would give the character breadcrumbs that there was something shady going on in the town. Weirder creatures would be found lurking about the farmlands around the town. Eventually, I made the inn keepers into the priestesses of a cult that was attempting to recruit the people living in the town. This lead to a big fight in the inn, where the player characters narrowly defeated (and killed) the one of the innkeepers and some of their staff. This lead to the surviving innkeeper and the patron of the cult sending other followers against the characters after they left the town in ashes. This didn't really change anything dramatically about the game, and it made it more exciting for the players involved.

But things like this is why I say that the idea of session zero never ends. Listen to the players and use what you hear to feed ideas back into the campaign itself. I tend to jot down notes periodically during a game. I keep a Moleskine handy, so that I can jot things down that I might want to utilize later. More than once my notetaking has caused a player to say "Stop saying things! You're giving him ideas."

I've used a session zero when starting campaigns over the last few years, for both traditional and more narratively-focused games. This really isn't a tool that is intended for one style of game over another. These work as well in a Blueholme game as they do for a Fate one. This is a helpful tool for the GM, and it is one that helps to engage the characters more deeply into the campaign. Obviously, it isn't the only tool that is available to a GM, but it is one that can have a major impact upon a campaign.

evildmguy

Explorer
Ever since reading The Dresden Files RPG, I have used session zero. Further, my group has found out if the group doesn't have connections to what is happening, they get bored and the adventure dies. Sure, they don't want to spend a lot of time on it but a session and a half to get this firmly established is something we all agree to do because we know it makes it better for us in the long run.

This includes themes, hooks, early NPCs, background and whatever else we can think of to do. I will even use the DFRPG creation sheets that ask for links to the other PCs as well as early adventures and what got them started down this road. Lucky that my players enjoy it as much as I do to make the campaign better!

The Monster

Explorer
We were inspired by the Adventure! RPG as well as the Dresden Files RPG, and have been doing a 'session zero' for every campaign since. Doing some kind of shared backstory has helped nail down character details including skillsets, party role and personality, in addition to individual history (we typically allow some stat redesign between session zero and session one, to reflect the decisions made in zero). It's really helped me get into character - historically, I've brought a general idea of my character's role and personality, then let her/him/it evolve according to the campaign events and ongoing interaction; a session zero gives that a major boost.
The one new campaign I've started this way (7th Sea 2) also allowed me as GM to easily build in a few plot hooks and foreshadowings into the character backgrounds.

The other kind of 'session zero' we had was for a Sorcerer's Crusade short campaign; none of us had ever played Mage (a few had done a Vampire session or two at conventions), and the GM needed to make sure everyone was on the same page about how magic worked (the rules are, um, not very clear on certain points), so that we had consistent expectations and procedures. Having that discussion was time well spent, otherwise the first play session would have come to a crashing halt over the very different interpretations.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I am really big on session 0. I interview each player individually. We come up with his character concept and I help him to fit it into the campaign setting. Rarely I may shoot it down if it totally doesn't fit. At this time he learns a lot of stuff that only he knows. We talk a good bit. We roll his attribute scores. He then goes off to create his character. He doesn't need me for that. If there are any house rules then of course those come out too.

We communicate back and forth over email if there are more questions or more ideas. This is player time NOT character time. We create the character with a rich backstory (hopefully).

I do this with all the characters and sometimes these interviews happen with more than one member of the group but they are all private so the rest would be in the other room.

Sometimes a lot more is done over the phone than face to face but communication happens.

I do this for all the players. Then we start. I usually provide some reasons for why the group is together (or they do) just prior to placing them in the sandbox.

S

Sunseeker

The best I've ever been able to actually get my players to do is a pre-session 1 session zero. That is: we spend about the first hour or two of game time setting all that up, and then we play. Few people seem interested in getting together for nothing more than a session zero, though I've had some success setting it up via text before game, but we still usually have to spend some time pre-game tying up loose ends.

Remove ads

Remove ads