D&D 5E Setting Playoffs Finals (round 5)

What is the "best" setting (however you define that)?

• Poll closed .

Kite474

Explorer
Go go Planescape! Mainly because it was the first setting I experienced through Planescape: Torment. It was a hell of a game and its a hell of a setting.

I can respect Greyhawk for what it is and what it's done. But for me it crosses into that realm of generic that I might as well just make my own setting. It also has the unfortunate downside of not breaking outside of D&D. Well, nothing beyond novels at least. But hey if it wins good on it.

Mercule

Adventurer
Easy choice, fortunately.
Definitely. Greyhawk really is the "implied setting" of D&D. You could have Vecna, Kas, St. Cuthbert, valley elves, dark elves, the Invoked Devastation, etc. on any map. if you played a home brew in 1E AD&D, you could feel kinship with Greyhawk. Greyhawk isn't generic D&D -- it's the Platonic ideal of a D&D setting.

Planescape is but one image of the Great Wheel that's part of Greyhawk.

Nentir Vale is an attempt to recreate the magic of Greyhawk, which is doomed to be just a reflection.

Even the Realms, despite not being conceived of as a D&D world -- by becoming a D&D world and importing things like drow -- shows Greyhawk where it rubs thin.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Definitely. Greyhawk really is the "implied setting" of D&D. You could have Vecna, Kas, St. Cuthbert, valley elves, dark elves, the Invoked Devastation, etc. on any map. if you played a home brew in 1E AD&D, you could feel kinship with Greyhawk. Greyhawk isn't generic D&D -- it's the Platonic ideal of a D&D setting.

Planescape is but one image of the Great Wheel that's part of Greyhawk.

Nentir Vale is an attempt to recreate the magic of Greyhawk, which is doomed to be just a reflection.

Even the Realms, despite not being conceived of as a D&D world -- by becoming a D&D world and importing things like drow -- shows Greyhawk where it rubs thin.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, except the total opposite. :)

Iry

Hero
I want to like Greyhawk. I really do. But besides a few big name NPCs, it was the most generic and forgettable setting for me.

So much of Planescape is brilliant and memorable.

pukunui

Legend
While I was rooting for Dark Sun initially, in this case it'll have to be Planescape. I just can't take Greyhawk seriously, especially with all its silly place names. "Verbobonc". Need I say more?

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Go go Planescape! Mainly because it was the first setting I experienced through Planescape: Torment. It was a hell of a game and its a hell of a setting.

I believe that Planescape: Torment is one of the best computer RPG ever made. It's phenomenal.

Remove ads